What is your opinion that is the polar opposite of popular thought?

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
For the love of whatever you believe/don't believe in, please don't bring in religion or politics. It never seems to go well. That being said, anything else goes.

Whenever I hear or read people taking about Volvos, I often hear them say that they're ugly or old-fashioned. In fact, that's often a criticism directed at them by professional critics and reviewers. In my opinion, the 1990s Volvo 850 Estate is amongst the most beautiful cars ever built.

I also think that the Pontiac Aztek (for those curious, Walter White's SUV in Breaking Bad) doesn't look bad as often stated. Most of the cars that make it onto lists of most beautiful by professionals are cars that provoke no reaction in me.

I don't see the point in road cars that can do 150 KM/H and faster when I've never went faster than 120 (we were moving with traffic on the freeway). I thought this opinion would be more popular, but at least amongst the peopleI hang out with, it isn't.

I guess the above reveals just how much of a thrill I am. Yes I am available for all sorts of parties. Book me now; limited supply, high demand.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Let's see:

[li]The Phantom Menace is my favourite Star Wars episode and I actually find Jar Jar Binks entertaining.[/li]
[li]Generation III has the best Pokemon in my opinion and the games themselves were among the largest leaps the series has ever made, often unrecognised because many people were understandably unhappy at the time about not being able to trade over their old pokemon from RBYGSC.[/li]
[li]Lobsters are my favourite animals, but only for how they look, I don't like to eat them.[/li]

Those should do nicely, *raises flameshield*

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
-Skyrim is a very overrated game.
-ACIII is a great game and Connor is the best AC protagonist thus far.
-Reviewers aren't all paid PR heads.
-The Two Towers is the best LotR book/movie.
-Having read the books, seen the movies and read The Slimarillion and The Hobbit, I think the LotR movies are better than the books by just a little due to certain character development choices.
-The Dark Knight Rises is a great movie and Bane is a fantastic villain, voice included.
That's all I can think of at the moment but i'm sure i'll come up with more later.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
King Aragorn said:
-The Dark Knight Rises is a great movie and Bane is a fantastic villain, voice included.
That's not an unpopular, that's debatable, a debate which I'm inclined to agree with your side, I might add.

OT: Millions of people abjectly are WoW, Halo, Facebook, and a number of other things that I would rather not ever be part of ever. So, I'm not.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Dubs.

I love English dubs, and I will always defend them.

Most of the ones I've heard sound perfectly fine to me, even some of the ones that everyone says are bad. The actors sounds like they're giving about the same amount of effort as the original Japanese actors. Hell, from what I've seen from conventions and interviews, a lot of voice actors seem to really love what they're doing, so I don't get this mentality that they're just phoning it in. I mean, some are more skilled than others, of course, but I still believe that the ones that aren't exactly good are at least trying or enjoying themselves. Direction also plays a big part, as well. I've seen several perfectly good VAs give piss poor performances that weren't entirely their fault.

Also, the biggest reason why I lean towards dubs is because, while most people claim that watching it in the original language gives a better understanding of the show, I'm the complete opposite. I gain a better understanding of the anime by watching it in a language I understand. While I can read subtitles just fine, to me, they add an extra wall between a scene and me. It's one thing to listen to what is being said, it's another to read onscreen text telling you what a character is saying in a language you don't understand. Because of this, I don't find myself fully engrossed in a scene as I should. Hell, if I know an anime well enough, I prefer watching it raw than with subtitles, and I find myself far more engaged than if there were text on screen. Now, I still may enjoy the show fine with subs, but when I hear a character speak in my language, and if the voice actor does a good enough job, I begin noticing things that give me a clearer understanding of that character, whether it's the way they talk, the more subtle details, or maybe some extra details I've missed the first time. I can think of several anime that I've never cared for subbed that I enjoyed much more after watching it dubbed.

Also, I enjoy watching bad dubs. I can sit through a bad anime easier if the dub is complete crap as well. I don't think I would've been able to sit through Garzey's Wing if it weren't for that gloriously bad dub.

And also, I've been watching dubs since I was a kid and never had a problem with it. I'm not gonna turn on it because some assholes on the internet says it's the wrong way to watch anime. There is no wrong way to watch something. I have the freedom to watch a show the way I want to. Maybe I prefer watching a show in backwards order, maybe I get more enjoyment out of watching it that way.

I couldn't give a shit about translation and voice accuracy, either, by the way. Yeah, there's examples of this that are horrible, like what 4kids do (also, to anyone that pulls 4kids as an example that all dubs suck, you are an idiot, and please know that they haven't been relevant in, well, pretty much ever.)I'm talking people who get stingy over the slightest translation change or when the voice doesn't sound like the original voice, and how that is somehow insulting the original. You know how you can pay respect to the original? By doing a performance your own way rather than just copy another's example. Voice actors should never be limited to something like that. As long as the voice is appropriate for that character, and hey, if it sounds similar to the original, then cool, that's a plus. Most voice actors seem to have a clear grasp of the character they're playing, which of course you need if you're gonna be acting as them. And of course, you're allowed to like one performance over the other, that's why they've include the option to choose what language you wanna listen to.

As for translations, you try making a performance sound natural by using those fansubs you found on the internet. I rather a line sound natural than awkward because it's being accurate to the translation. As long as the story is unchanged and the characters are unchanged, it's perfectly fine.

Sorry for the rambling, but I've seen so much pointless dub hatred that it really, really annoys me.

Similarly, some of this can also apply for remakes of movies. The best way to pay homage to the original is by doing your version of it. Give us something that the original never did. Something new, something nobody has thought about when watching the original while still being recognisable as an adaptation of the source material. Give us your own interpretation of a scene, or what could've happened, or add something that could've made it more interesting, but most importantly, just make a good movie. I don't hate the idea of remaking something, and I don't think it's an entirely pointless idea.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Anthrax are the best band of the big four, especially in the last few years. Worship Music is the best album any of them have done in years, the covers EP they did was awesome and whilst Metallica's live show is pretty incredible, Anthrax put a hell of a lot more energy into their shows and they always look like they're loving it.

I don't like Gibson very much. Their guitars are overpriced, especially considering their build quality. Granted, I did but a Thunderbird at the start of the year, but it was in a sale and I wouldn't have paid full price. When you compare it to my similarly-priced Fender, it's a wonder that they can get away with it. I really dislike Les Pauls too, they're far from the best guitars in the world and I don't understand why so many people claim that they are.

Also, the Captcha keeps asking me what phone offers 'zoom reinvented'. I don't usually mind them, but how the tits am I supposed to know that?

Dec 14, 2009
I don't care what anyone says, Daystar Clarion isn't the sexy slab of manmeat that everyone thinks he is, I mean, have you seen him?

He's a 9.5/Yamcha at best.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, Fappy is the hottest guy around here, you guys just don't understand the way he makes me feel.

I'd give him an 11/jewfro in terms of hotness.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Well...

JoJo said:
[li]The Phantom Menace is my favourite Star Wars episode and I actually find Jar Jar Binks entertaining.[/li]

Anyway...

King Aragorn said:
-Skyrim is a very overrated game.
-The Two Towers is the best LotR book/movie.

Ummm...

TheRightToArmBears said:
Anthrax are the best band of the big four

Ok, so clearly I have no unique opinions, even when they're unpopular :p

That said, high fives all round guys. Solidarity!

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Games that have terrible / mediocre gameplay and great stories do not deserve anywhere near the amount of praise they get.

Ex. The Last of Us, Gone Home, Bioshock Infinite, etc.

AdrianCeltigar

Jan 8, 2011
I think GTA is incredibly boring. I'm also a JRPG fan who doesn't like any of the Final Fantasy games (except the tactics games.) I actively dislike pretty much every FPS game, and I really, really dislike dogs.

Pierre Poutine

Sep 20, 2013
I think "The Avengers" is the most overrated movie of the past 10 years. Sure, it's interesting in that no one's made a film by combining bits and pieces other film franchises into one of its own, but that's the only unique thing it's got going for it. The story is as average as they come, the characters don't experience any arcs or growth in this movie, and they don't appear to carry over any baggage they had from previous movies. Even as a team, they don't really grow and get stronger, they just decide to stop bitching at each other and kick ass like they should have been doing. Loki meanwhile is one of the least threatening villains I've seen in a movie whose appeal I just don't understand. The big peril in the movie doesn't come from him, but rather his alien army. I get that his reputation is more of a schemer and trickster, but all he does in the movie in the way of deception is pulling a Joker and letting himself get caught, but even then his plan is banking on the Avengers screwing up and unleashing the Hulk. Also, unlike the Joker, I never got a sense that he was really enjoying being a villain.

Right, sorry if I just tarnished everyone's favourite movie, but in fairness, I will say that the Hulk was awesome, and that last action scene was awesome, if in no other way for me then it living out all those fantasies I had about superhuman kicking all sorts of ass.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I don't think I have any opinions that are the *exact* opposite of whatever the popular opinion, not that you can really pinpoint *exactly* what a popular opinion is.

...anyway unpopular opinion time...
> The Last of us is a contemptible pile of shit with broken controls and an unoriginal story.

> New pokemon games are somewhat overrated

> Early pokemon games are really overrated.

> Phil Fish is a Douche and Fez wasn't a fun game

> Rock Band 3 is the best rhythm game ever made and rockband is superior to guitar hero in every way.

> Stephen Moffat is a fucking moron and has driven Doctor Who into the ground

> Sherlock Isn't a good show

> Breaking is good but it's not great

> The Game of Thrones Books aren't worth reading if you're a slow reader

> Green Day Were at their peak with Nimrod, American idiot is inferior to Dookie, Nimrod, Warning, and Shenanigans

> Breaking Benjamin sounds awesome and gives me a happy

> Queens of the Stone Age have only gotten better with time

> Nirvana's Nevermind is their second worst album

> My taste in music in general

> The original Deus Ex does not hold up well

> N64 era Zelda games aren't fun

> Cheating at games can make the game more fun

> MMO's are too damn long

> Rogue Legacy was the best game of 2013 and eats The last of Us and other 2013 titles for breakfast

> The Xbox One is a pretty good system

> Ryse is a fun, albeit dumb game

> The PS4 is a waste of money right now, it's just sitting on my shelf doing fucking nothing.

> PC MASTAH RACE 4EVAH!!!!1

>Dog People are worse than cat people (But dogs are not necessarily worse than cats)

> K-On is a far more enjoyable show than most popular Anime

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
Martha Jones is quite possibly my favourite companion of new Who. She was the only thing that made Ten and his dramatic emo-act somewhat bearable by just dealing with shit on her own despite of it.

I disliked Rose, she and the Doctor often reached painful levels of smug, especially near Jackie or Mickey, and had no strong feelings regarding Donna either way. Amy's a close second as far as companions go, and Clara is doing well, so in that sense I feel that Moffat actually has a better track-record when it comes to writing characters than RTD does.(Also, not to leave the boys out, Rory's cool and Jack is somewhat unsubstantial outside of Torchwood.)

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
James Cameron's 'Avatar' was not a great movie, neither was 'Titanic' for that matter. 'Avatar' was so filled with CGI and flat acting (mostly due to the heavy use of CGI) that it was barely better than the crap prequel 'Star Wars' movies. The fact that people have said you had to see it in 3D/theaters for it to be good just proves my point.

Online multi-player has done more harm to videogames than good.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I really enjoy the Xbox One. I understand why it was hated pre-180 (as I didn't want one likewise), but now that it has changed, the hate for it, and the need by the internet to turn any piece of news about it against Microsoft (a la EA) is hilarious, quite frankly.

Speaking of EA, they get far too much shit as well, and the internet voting for them to be "Worst Company in America" 2 years in a row (and probably 3) is laughably childish. I'm not surprised though, since these are voted on by the same sort of people who tried to spin that EA raising money for charity (as in 100% of the money went to charity) as a bad thing.

Oh, and that Microsoft Rare is better than Nintendo Rare. Yes, that includes the Kinect games.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
-The story of The Last of Us is not nearly as good as it is promoted to be. I mean, it is not bad, but it is not a masterpiece;

-Tidus is not the worst FF protagonist. I'd even say that he is quite good (looks aside);

-Final Fantasy VII is NOT the best FF game that exists. Quite the contrary, of those that I played the only one that is worse is XIII. There are only two good things about it: certain characters design and battle wise (Barret and Tifa) and materia system;

-Dragon Age II is not a bad game. Rushed, but not bad. In fact, I think it's better than DA:O. It has lesser ammount of stereotypical characters, better combat, story where you (finally) don't have to !SAVE DAH WURLD!, but rather right the wrong in a city. I bet that if game wasn't rushed, we would have had the ability to change party's equipment and everything else that is desired (exept for picking the race of the MC, that's a bummer, I agree);

-There is nothing special about Akira (manga and anime);

-Street Fighter IS an anime fighter. It would take too much time explaining my opinion, but in short if there is some kind of anime trope, it is there (calm, samurai-like hero, hot-headed rival, spunky kid, etc.).

There is probably more, but now I can't remember.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I think that Sherlock Season 3 was the worst season by far as it drastically changed the character of Sherlock to become more like The Doctor.

I don't like any of Moffat's Doctor Who work.

Cowboy Bebop was boring as sin to watch.

I enjoyed "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" more than any of the Original Trilogy films.

I actually enjoy "The Library" on Halo: Combat Evolved.

Vanilla Skyrim is a boring game to play, with Oblivion being better in almost every aspect.

I strongly enjoyed Dragon Age 2, especially its combat.

Kick Ass 2 is just as good, if not slightly better, than the first film.

Whilst the endings to Mass Effect 3 were disappointing, I still enjoyed them. (Vanilla and EC)

Nintendo is a failing company, and I get the sense that they don't know what they're doing or where they're heading. (DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying I could do any better, just that they are not doing very well on the console side of things).

BioShock 2 was a very enjoyable game.

I don't understand the appeal of Psychonauts.

The Half-Life series is Valve's weakest franchise.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
-Doctor Who is painfully average
-The Walking Dead is the most poorly written and most dully acted schlock I'v.e seen on national television is years.
-IX and X are the best Final Fantasys and VII is around the middle in the numbered series (would be slightly above the middle if the last couple weren't terrible to me)
-I highly prefer English dubbed Anime. It's more relatable and I don't have to try to pay attention to the action and the text simultaneously. Why do people like doing that? Or knock people that don't?
-The Star Wars prequels are good movies. Just because they're not Empire good, doesn't make them terrible atrocities.
-(Though I've heard less of it lately) Game Grumps didn't die or even take any dive when Jon left.
-Devil May Cry 2 is still very enjoyable.
-John Stewart is my favorite Lantern.
-Crash Bandicoot, Banjo-Kazooie, Spyro, Gex, Sly Cooper, Rayman 3D, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Psychonauts, and Super Mario Galaxy are all vastly superior to Super Mario 64.
-The only current gen console worth sinking your money into is portable with a dumb 3D feature.
-Firefly's kinda really dull.
-Games the likes of the new Tomb Raider are dull, unoriginal, with stupid stories and shitty controls in the small chunk of gameplay available.
-Bishock:Infinite was only half a game. Once the dimension traveling got thrown in, it became a prime example of trying way too hard to be complicated and have a message when you were already doing a great job. Said convolution being broken up by dull, dark FPS segments that felt like a smoother controlling MW3. Which sucks because the first half was fucking gold.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
GAMES:

As far as games go, I con't play AAA games anymore. For just about every single AAA game I have found indie alternatives who make better games at a fraction of the price. At best I lean more towards A or AA games such as The Witcher Series or older installments of bastardized companies such as old Bioware games and pre-WoW Blizzard. To be honest it has gotten so bad that I have abandoned consoles all together and only play PC games and handhelds. Between Steam, GoG and Humble Bundle, I haven't payed more than five dollars for a game in a long time.

Also, Dear Ester is pretentious and afraid to cross the line towards interactive art. It is a game, just a terrible one that relies on a pre-existing narrative because it's afraid that the environment couldn't speak for itself. It wishes that it was Proteus or Gone Home. But fear held it back, and now it's stuck at mediocrity in the interactive art community.

DotA-likes and Call of Duty have very poor design mechanics that reward players whom don't need rewards and punish the entire team for a single bad player.

Card games like Magic are based more on luck than skill. That's not bad, but it makes for poor competition. If I lose a tournament due to a bad draw instead of my lack of skill, then the game is not meant for tournament play. The exception is, of course, in pro play when deck composition is so good that every card in your hand is the one you need.

MOVIES:

Similar to games, Hollywood doesn't thrill me anymore because of better indie alternatives and older alternatives.

Insidious was an embarrassingly terrible movie with predictable jump scares, laughable effects, and paper thin atmosphere. I was hoping that it would be more like Session 9, a movie that was focused solely on atmosphere and leaving a disturbing impression long after the film is over. But no. I got a Poltergeist wannabe. And I don't even like Poltergeist.

Sucker Punch sucked. Sorry MovieBob. I even watched it in your mindset, but it still sucked. Instead of coming off as "a sucker punch to the audience" it came off as a grind house flick trying to be artsy.

Repo the Genetic Opera was boring, poorly written, and hard to sit through. The aesthetic has no meaning to it; it's just there to look pretty. The melodramatic operatic story tried way too hard to be a melodramatic operatic story. They tried so hard that it came off as parody. The songs were almost always purely expositionary, which panders to the uneducated. The biopunk niche was poorly done; for a culture obsessed with surgery, why is everything is dirty? The only niche done correctly was an unjustified gothic aesthetic that existed only for the sake of a gothic aesthetic. There was no gesamtkunstwerk; there was only aesthetic dissonance. I was hoping for a darker version of Anitviral, but instead I got goths playing opera. Wagner is rolling in his grave.

ANIME:

I refuse to read manga or watch anime below my age range. Everything I hate about anime and manga is in shonen and shojo comics, so why read them?

POLITICS:

I'm a jewish socialist that supports feminism. 'Nuff said.