What is your state's/country's embarrassing stereotype?

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Idaho: Potatoes and racists

The former isn't very prominent here, the latter however, we have that in spades. I also get a lot about it be scenic, celebrities love coming here for the "country". That never ceases to amuse us.

Good grief I miss socal.

ungothicdove

Nov 30, 2007
Minnesota. I guess it would be the whole "you sound just like the movie Fargo!" thing. And admittedly, even people from my own state say I have a strong accent.

Roboticus

Mar 3, 2012
From Michigan. I don't really know a lot of stereotypes for us. I've heard that we're all dirt poor rust-belters before, but then again that's never actually come up in conversation with out-of-staters before since I've only heard it from my ex-auto worker of a father. There's a few city-bound ones I can think of, like how everyone from Detroit is either a dirt-poor criminal or some snobish rich prude. Or that even thinking of going anywhere near Flint will get your ass shot up by some gangbanger. My favorite descriptor of the (highly liberal) Lansing area from which I hail is the "People's republic of East Lansing." From what I've seen that last one's pretty true as most of the people in the tri-county area I've met have been pretty liberal (myself included). Oh, that and all you upers are lumberjacks with silly accents. I can say from personal experience that at least the second is true. Another state-wide one I've heard from a friend of mine who moved down to Tennessee is that Michigan is the "northern Texas" as we're the only other state with as much blind pride in our state. I personally take offense to that, as I doubt the Texans could ever match us :)

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Australia. Apparently we all live here...

We all drink this...

We commute on these...

And put these on barbecues...

Aaaand none of that is true.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
ErwinGodfrey said:
Wakikifudge said:
Wow, two Alberta bros in the same thread, I`m feeling so warm and fuzzy inside. Don`t ever think I`ve heard us called that, but it doesn't seem fair, because most of the religious folk from Edmonton at least are polite enough to not vocalize a lot of the misgivings they have about other theologies and philosophies.

OblivionSoul said:
Yeah dull, but trust me my friend, you have no clue what a crime infested city really looks like. However, I do concede that our crime rate is certainly higher than the national average, but that doesn't really mean much when you compare it to cities like Detroit or Juarez.
Ya most people are pretty good about it. Although the stereotype does kind of fit more here in Lethbridge.

zf6hellion

Dec 24, 2009
Y'know... I don't know any stereotypes for Glasgow, I guess just the standard for Scottish locales coupled with the fact that apparently everyone in Glasgow is likely to murder you for absolutely fuck all nevermind breathing. Oh, wait, and the swearing, everyone here swears at least three times per sentence. Which is true usually.

The only actual embarassing stereotype I can think of for Scotland outside of the usual would be the Glaswegian view of Aberdeen, in that we assume everyone there is a sheep shagger.

Though I have never heard of the perception that people in Wales shag sheep like has been mentioned in the thread. So the British Isles seems to have a few of those.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Legally I cannot disclose the location to which i currently live.

However, the state where I was born is notorious for bare feet and low IQs.

However more recently the new claim to fame is this darwin award winner for what is arguably the worst bath salts horror story possible.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/201105020871

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
Well I live in Australia at the moment...
and it appears the stereotype is that everyone sounds like/looks like/acts like Crocodile Dundee or Steve Irwin. It's worrying....but laughable.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Icehearted said:
Idaho: Potatoes and racists

The former isn't very prominent here, the latter however, we have that in spades. I also get a lot about it be scenic, celebrities love coming here for the "country". That never ceases to amuse us.

Good grief I miss socal.
Idaho, fuck yeah! But yeah he is mostly right. Potatoes and racists. I live in a town that is %98 white.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Japan.
We all wear suits, glasses and bow. Get our R and Ls mixed up.

We like anime and manga and we are all introverted perverted weirdos.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
England here! We're all stereotyped as thuggish, football hooligans with bad teeth a hilarious cockney accent and a hilarious disregard for immigrants.

Yes a few of us a thuggish due to the MANY social problems we have in this country, football is an incredibly popular sport to the point where its basically a religion. But bad teeth? Well, maybe when that stereotype was coined, but not now. Most people I know have perfect teeth, and I know NOBODY with teeth that are rotting or have rotten out. And guiz, all British accents you can think of are isolated to VERY specific points in the Kingdom. There are hundreds of accents, and believe me, we ourselves have trouble understanding some of them.

Not that I mind stereotypes, I think they're funny. And usually stereotypes are there for a reason. But the more you know-

OblivionSoul

Oct 19, 2009
The Scotsman72 said:
Ugh, I've heard about Edmonton and it's crime. They need cops over there bad, and I'm hoping I don't get shipped off there after I'm done studying criminoligy and finish my RCMP training. Talked to a family friend who's an officer and he said they couldn't drag him there if they posted him there. Is it really that bad?
That bad? Really really not. There's some areas that aren't as nice, that's for sure, but I wouldn't say it's the worst. It's a very normal city. Last year.... yeah, it was bad, an average of almost a murder a week. Part of the problems we have is that it kind of ends up being party central for temporary guys from up north working in the oilfields. But really, it is a nice city. The river valley is particularly nice :)

Captcha: Big Brother. How ominous.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
America! #@$*[footnote]Censorship, heck yeah![/footnote] Yeah!

Well, specifically Florida.
So, I guess we're the tourist trap who's so full of ourselves we don't really pay much attention to anything else because oh, look! Disney World! Sea World! Universal Orlando! Daytona 500! The LPGA[footnote]Okay, that one's pretty obscure: The Ladies' Professional Golf Association[/footnote]!

We are also full of dumb people, old people, and Hispanic immigrants who braved the Gulf of Mexico.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
First of all, welcome to the Escapist! Remember, no feeding the trolls.

As for stereotypes... according to TVTropes, there are three for Pennsylvania, where I currently live:

1.) In Pittsburgh, everyone is a dopey Pole who practically worships the Steelers.
2.) In Philadelphia, everyone is a raging jackass who practically worships the Eagles.
3.) Everyone else worships Penn State like a religion.

...I hate our stereotypes.

Psycomantis777

Apr 24, 2012
Robert Ewing said:
England here! We're all stereotyped as thuggish, football hooligans with bad teeth a hilarious cockney accent and a hilarious disregard for immigrants.
ING-A-LUUUND!

Cutter9792

Nov 22, 2009
We're a bunch of fat, lazy, greedy, video-game playing twelve-year-olds.

And the stereotype is that we also bomb people who don't deserve it.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
As far as I am aware Minnesota is know for two things. The "Minnesota Nice" stereotype and our accent. We also have a significantly larger (~86%) white population.

In other words we are the Canada of the USA.

I'm not exactly embarrassed by it but those are the only stereotypes I know.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
Virginia's sort of divided, it's where the South technically begins, thought Maryland is actually also below the Mason-Dixon line. So it has the typical hillbilly stereotypes for anyone living out of state. However Northern Virginia is not at all like that because so many people from other parts of the country have moved there to get government jobs. I'm pretty sure everyone I knew in High School had parents who were from out of state and I don't speak with a Southern drawl. This has led to another stereotype where people think the Northern Virginians are rich, stuck-up snobs because our part of the state is full of suburbs and McMansions and is the richest. Despite the fact that most of us are Middle Class and a good portion of the country in suburbs anyway.