What is your state's/country's embarrassing stereotype?

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Professor James said:
Living_Brain said:
Illinois. Fattest children here!
There's not much else I can think of. Maybe Al Capone and stuff.
Don't forget the corrupt governors!
It's kinda sad because I already forgot his name. And that reflects society in general, I think. People forget the bad things quickly and continue being led like sheep.

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
Psykoma said:
Quebec: Free loading french separatists.

Not going to lie, for a lot of us, the above is true.

But I prefer to speak english if I have a choice, I'm firmly for Canada, and I'm working while going through an accounting designation program.
I always hated that stereotype. In my opinion the people of Quebec were very forward thinking in their provincial policies and that they have been a great and positive influence on the rest of Canada politically - if not now, at least in the past.

Andre Rapp

Apr 2, 2010
Gabanuka said:
England.

I have a posh accent. I drink shit loads of tea. I have a sense of superiority. I've met the Queen.

I'm probably the worst person to argue against British stereotypes.
That is not a stereotype, that is the epitome of being English.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
I'm from America. I'm not going to state the stereotype, since we all know it. Although to add to the thread I'm from Illinois. Im not sure what the stereotype is for that, but I'm sure it has something to do with Chicago, Pizza, and Thompson Submachine guns.

the_hoffs_ego

Oct 11, 2010
sextus the crazy said:
New York:

That we're all from NYC. It's frankly really annoying.
Yep. I know how it is. My particular area is usually thought of (at least here in Western New York) as just full of rednecks, drugs, guns, and freeloaders. Not entirely false, however.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Nuke_em_05 said:
Wow, my comment started a thread, I'm flattered.

Welcome to the Escapist, by the way.

OT: I'm from Washington State. I don't know if we're too stereotyped, when I'm abroad and say I'm from Washington people tend to assume the District of Columbia, and some don't seem to know that Washington is a State, or consider it of any relevance if they do.

However, those who do know assume that I'm from Seattle, and that Seattle is the capital, and that Seattle is pretty much the only city.

And Seattle is known for... hipsters? Maybe? Olympia is known for being ultra-liberal, home to the Evergreen State college.

Though, my actual home town, Spokane, might be notorious for the "Otto Zehm" fiasco and other "corrupt police" stories. We also had a mayor and a few firefighters who solicited sex from young men from City computers...
Seattle has indy kids in far more abundance than hipsters. I know it can be easy to confuse them. Hipsters are a little more annoying, and way more self involved.

Washington is known for coffee, Microsoft, rain, and environmentalism. Pretty much where I have been people assume the entire state is covered in forests, when over half the state is desert. As for people there isn't a real stereotype to go along with it, you might say slightly liberal run of the mill nice people. Tacoma really screws up that stereotype through.

You can attribute the decline in cultural relevance of the pacific Northwest to the state government. You may notice few shows and movies filmed in the last fifteen years actually take place in Seattle. The state has made it very difficult and costly to actually film anything here. So you rarely have anything set in Washington unless a previous work (book, etc) calls for it.

Almost everything that takes place in Washington is filmed in Canada, and uses stock shots of Seattle. The last major pop culture thing I can even think of that was set in Washington is the Twilight series, and even that was filmed in Oregon.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
manaman said:
Nuke_em_05 said:
And Seattle is known for... hipsters? Maybe? Olympia is known for being ultra-liberal, home to the Evergreen State college.

Though, my actual home town, Spokane, might be notorious for the "Otto Zehm" fiasco and other "corrupt police" stories. We also had a mayor and a few firefighters who solicited sex from young men from City computers...
Seattle has indy kids in far more abundance than hipsters. I know it can be easy to confuse them. Hipsters are a little more annoying, and way more self involved.

Washington is known for coffee, Microsoft, rain, and environmentalism. Pretty much where I have been people assume the entire state is covered in forests, when over half the state is desert. As for people there isn't a real stereotype to go along with it, you might say slightly liberal run of the mill nice people. Tacoma really screws up that stereotype through.
Yeah, we're known for a lot of things, but the question was embarrassing stereotypes (as in, potentially not generally true); not actual industries, weather, politics, or geography.

The way you define "Indy" sounds like a way for a group of hipsters to try to differentiate themselves from the "bad" hipsters.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
I'm from Southern California, going to college in Ohio. People keep asking why I'm not tan and if I know how to surf.

Guess everyone from S. Cali is a surfer dude.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Norway here.

I'm not sure how people see us, really. What I hear is that we're born with skis on our legs and are all godlike at cross-country skiing. I guess we're also associated with black metal. Oh, and vikings and polar bears everywhere.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
the_hoffs_ego said:
sextus the crazy said:
New York:

That we're all from NYC. It's frankly really annoying.
Yep. I know how it is. My particular area is usually thought of (at least here in Western New York) as just full of rednecks, drugs, guns, and freeloaders. Not entirely false, however.
I'm from Rochester myself, so we're just normal city folk. I generally think we're pretty friendly and tolerant.

azel

May 17, 2012
I'm dutch, so definately the drug addict stereotype. That or that we're very rude.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Varrdy said:
England

a sense of collective superiority floating around like a bad smell.
Are you joking? The best thing about us is we dont take ourselves seriously at all. Look at a LOT of our comedy. Black adder, the inbetweeners and the office. We laugh at ourselves. Its all humor based on the idea most of us are socially unaware awkward people. And we find that hilarious. We LOVE self depreciation. Making fun of ourselves is what England does best! We made a joke out of the Royal wedding when other countries went mental. We just couldnt give a shit. It was awesome.

That said me saying that has helped destroy that brilliant thing we have. So shhh

Id say tea drinking, bad teeth and posh is the main one. Despite the majority fitting none of these at all because: disgusting, NHS and middle class being the reasons why not respectively.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
I am from Denmark, we must be incredible boring since we are never mentioned in Hollywood-films and therefor I can't say there is a stereotype. I guess there is a stereotype that we are unknowingly racist which is true so yeah.