What kind of drunk are you?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm beginning to feel that a lot of you teetotalers in here think there's sobriety, then a 90-degree turn into fall-down, sloppy drunkenness if you come within an inch of an open bottle of spirits. There's a vast middle ground between those two states; how fast one traverses that ground has several contributing factors that most "drunks' (or "drinkers" is less derogatory) manage to navigate responsibly all the time. It's possible to get a happy buzz without getting pants-on-head retarded.
Most alcohol I don't like the taste, nor care for much. I'll have white or red wine at formal parties some times. The only alcoholic drinks I bother with are Seagrams or Smirnoff Ice. I rarely even bother with those much.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I don't know. Tried going to bar once or twice, but it wasn't for me. I also don't buy alcohol and am never in those social situations. Never drank enough to become intoxicated. I dislike the taste.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I do understand the role of the pub, especially in smaller communities. But we didn't pull out all the stops to save the libraries, post offices and other communal services in those places (indeed, actively voted for the party we knew would do it), but we'll kill our granny to save a pub. Mad. Bring back village greens and wickermen, I say.
Post Offices - unless the building is heritage listed - I can accept being closed down if its because bigger and more modern one is taking its place. Libraries, village greens and Wickermen should have enjoyed protected status from day dot. So yes, bring back village greens. Wickermen we can leave up to the village community.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Perhaps, but some slopes are slippery, and for some of us the risks are not worth the "benefits".
Much the same as a real life slope, the amount of baggage you're carrying and the amount of support you have can make a fall much more likely, and unfortunately we generally aren't very good at judging how much we have of either.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Perhaps, but some slopes are slippery, and for some of us the risks are not worth the "benefits".
Yeah, this is pretty much why I've had to swear off permanently; I wouldn't, I think, classify myself as an alcoholic, but I am a very habitual drinker in a culture that borderline deifies drinking. Even outside of alcohol, my fluid intake is incredibly high -- its rare that I don't have some sort of drink to hand, and if I'm drinking alcohol that's what it would be. And when I finished that one, I'd get another.

If I said to myself 'I won't drink on X, Y, Z', what I'd actually be saying is that I will drink on A, B, C. For some people in some cases exceptions just don't work.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Score up another one for 'non-'

Too many costs for something with very few benefits. Kind of funny because I actually made wine a couple of times when I was a teenager in anticipation for when I reached legal drinking age, and then just never started drinking. I still use it for cooking though.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Score up another one for 'non-'

Too many costs for something with very few benefits. Kind of funny because I actually made wine a couple of times when I was a teenager in anticipation for when I reached legal drinking age, and then just never started drinking. I still use it for cooking though.
What does wine add to food anyway? What foods do you even add it to?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I get very horribly depressed and I just sit down to wallow in self pity while I contemplate the meaningless of existence, which granted isn't all that different from how I normally act but just feels way more intensely miserable than when I'm sober, I do become more impulsive and get really angry at anyone that tries to help me or touch me or anything.

I suppose that is a big part of why I don't enjoy drinking, which is to say I don't feel good when I'm drunk but also liquor tastes really bad, I don't get the appeal, the only one I've kinda liked the flavour of is Kahlua but even then barely.

But it's fine my normal personality makes people think I'm always high on something or drunk, probably because I'm always philosophising about something.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
What does wine add to food anyway? What foods do you even add it to?
You can use it to deglaze a pan you've been cooking meat in, allowing you to cook other items in the meat fat and the wine. Some traditional Italian red sauces cooked from scratch for example.

Also used in many a gravy and pan sauce for some extra flavour. Diane sauce for example uses sherry and brandy.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I've personally never been drunk. But when I was tipsy (three shots over the course of two hours), I was very affectionate and happy towards people.
So I would hope, were I ever drunk, to be like that.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Well my college days are well behind me, but back in the drinking parties at our dorms I would often hide under people's beds. I've never been blackout drunk before, so I remember all my drunk escapades which wasn't too much really. I might say shit I might not normally say. Be somewhat more loose tongued. Be more of an idiot. Nothing too major.

I haven't gotten into street fights or any super whacky shit from drunkenness.

Nowadays I will only drink in social situations or just for food pairing. I like having white wine with my oysters in particular. Sometimes I just want a beer to go with my dinner.