what kind of games do/will you raise your kids on?

qwewee

Jul 16, 2009
I personally will raise my kids on the classic games that I know were good and helped me grow as a person. My only fear is that my children won't want to play games that don't look or sound as nice as current gen ones. what about the rest of you? do you show them old classics or current masterpieces?

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
I never plan to have children, but if I do at some point, they'll grow up on an N64 the way I did. Sure they'll have newer systems too, but they can play those once they get a good gaming foundation set up.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
classics like Half-Life or TF2 I myself have been raised on Tombraider.
and shield them from newer games until they at least tried them.
holy crap 5001 post!

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
I grew up on JRPGs, and I think my daughter will too. I always loved to read, and there was always tons of text to go through before voice acting became popular, but there are still good stories to be had. My little girl loves to read (as much as a 17 month old can, at least). Anything with writing on it she'll grab and start saying "Read, read, read" until someone sits down and reads it to her, and she'll literally look at her books for hours on end. She sat with me through a good chunk of Tales of the Abyss and seemed to love it (I think it was the bright, flashy spell effects and funny faces, but she laughed her first laugh for me ^_^).

henritje said:
holy crap 5001 post!
Congrats! Wait....AHHH! DALEK SEC IS RIGHT BEHIND ME!!!

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
My children shall be raised on a combination of Bethesda games, BioWare games, and Bruce Springsteen music.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
MorsePacific said:
I never plan to have children, but if I do at some point, they'll grow up on an N64 the way I did. Sure they'll have newer systems too, but they can play those once they get a good gaming foundation set up.
me too I have a extra 64 and a spare untouched remote for emergencys

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Prototype and Gears of War, of course. Nah, it'll probably be things like Fallout 3 - games where it benefits you to be the god guy. Fallout 3 and Oblivion are the games that made it hard for me to be a prick in any game.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
I plan to never have children... might have myself cloned if that ever proves a reality in distant future. But if I did have a child to raise I would start them on a mario game and be very strict with there gaming so they don't grow up to play games so much that they forget there other responsibilities.

Baconmaninspace

Jun 8, 2011
I was actually thinking about this the other day.

I'm gonna start them off at an early age with the old Humungous Entertainment point-and-click adventure games, like Putt-Putt and Freddie the Fish.
Around age 4, Mario.
At age 5, Zelda.
Final Fantasy around age 8.

Chances are, it won't be as organized as this, but all I really care about is that they start out with games that require thought before introducing them to reflex-based games.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
bussinrounds said:
Manhunt and #2 (uncut), from the age of 4.
Awww you stole what I was going to say, though I think I said the same thing in a similar thread a few days ago.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Skyrim, since by the time I have kids that game will be a classic much like Mario or Zelda is to my generation now. I'll also have a small selection of other genres, let my kid play every game so I can judge where their interests lie.

[sub][sub]And if they don't share my interests, I'll get a new kid/pawn this one off to their mom.[/sub][/sub]

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
Mass Effect, Kotor are mandatory

Fallout (1,2,3 and new vegas)
TES (Skyrim or Oblivion if Skyrim turns out to be a disaster)
Amnesia the Dark Decent (yes, I'm a horrible person)
Assassin's Creed (all of them)
And Armoured Core because giant robots are fucking awesome.

But hopefully I don't have children

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I'll probably raise them on whatever is current-gen stuff at the time, but give them the option to play some of my older games if they feel like. I'm not going to force them to play any specific game, because that takes the fun out of it.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Oh, a little bit of each generation. Well, I don't own anything pre-NES, so I guess not each generation. The best of the best. Nintendo, Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, Sega, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Rare, Bethesda, Bioware, Blizzard, Valve, ect. Of course, I'll start off with multiplayer stuff and keep everything age-appropriate. Hopefully, my hypothetical children will learn to appreciate each genre as they play through the evolution of gaming.