What kind of insects and animals do you deal with where you live?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Canada...

ASS TONES OF MOSQUEETERS!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

FatesVagrant

Aug 13, 2017
I live in NZ so we don't have a lot that is actually dangerous (We have Katipo spiders which are venous but they are endangered and not aggressive). We have a wood pile and a creek so we get lots of cockroaches and mice in the house during winter. I know there are water rats around as well though they don't come inside. We sometimes get white tail spiders which aren't actually dangerous but we kill them because they are aggressive and their bite can cause ulcers. Possums can be annoying because you can hear them at night and they get in fights with other possums or cats. We have some issues with doves because the dumbasses come inside and then panic, shit all over everything and hurt themselves by flying into windows. We have a lot of pigeons around at the moment as well though unlike the doves they just do not give a shit about you. They barely even bother to run away from people, we have had to pick them up and toss them outside before.
I see magpies all the time but have never had an issue with them, the ones in this area don't even seem to drive off other birds which is something they are notorious for. I've seen one person get attacked by them but he threw a rock at them first so no sympathy.

Oh but there is an ally nearby that you don't want to go anywhere near during certain times of the year because it becomes full of paper wasps.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
UK here:

Animals - Mostly birds, really. Occasionally I see a squirrel, and foxes even less so.

Bugs - Flies, bees, wasps, moths, small spiders, and just about anything else that gets into my house are the only real annoyances. Otherwise, butterflies, ladybugs, slugs and snails, etc. I did have a bat fly into my house, once. That is pretty much the only exciting thing that happened.

In summary, nothing really that wants to eat my face off, give me gangrene, or otherwise kill me. I like England like that.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Wrex Brogan said:
After doing my near-daily ritual of 'clear all the various spiders out of all my shit', I began to wonder, what kind of critters do people living elsewhere have to deal with on a daily basis, and how do they deal with them? Everywhere has some kind of pest, so I figure, hey, internet searches don't do much, let's field this question on the forums instead! That'll be fun!

For me, as a Suburban South Australian, I have Spiders. Lots and lots of Spiders (if the opening sentence couldn't give that away). There's two general kinds of spider around here - the 'active hunters' which tend to be big-fuck off spiders that roam around, but are generally pretty harmless (Huntsman Spiders, White Tips, Wolf Spiders), and the 'poisonous waiters' which hang around in webs and fuck your shit right up if they happen to bite you (Redback Spiders, Black House Spiders). While my typical approach to them is 'slap the shit out of them with a sandal', Huntsmans and Wolf Spiders happen to be just big enough that that would just piss them off, so I try to catch them and throw them over the fence instead. Also because they're big enough that they cause a hell of a mess if I do squish 'em, so saves me cleaning up more spider guts than I should.

So, denizens of the internet, what critters do you have to deal with where you live? Poisonous insects, common vermin, strangely pesky sheep? What pests do you have?

(PS: please put any pictures of spiders in spoiler tags, just in case anyone here's got Arachnophobia. Internet forums are the last place you really want to see 'suddenly spiders!'.)
Texas is similar to Australia in that we have a crap ton of things that all want to kill you here. Yes, so many types of spiders, including wolf spiders, which I happen to have had on my shoulder once.

I was taking a globe off the ceiling fan light and caught it just out of the corner of my eye standing up on it's hind legs right next to my cheek on my shoulder. I could see like every single one of it's terrifying gray hairs. I immediately freaked the F out and backhanded it off my shoulder it hit the TV and jumped back onto my chest looking right up at me, then I knocked it off again towards the kitchen and ran out of the room screaming out of the apartment. It was quite disturbing to me, so I made my friends go into my apartment and kill it before I would go back in there.

My sister was bit by a rattlesnake when we were kids, my cousin used to blow up copperheads with fireworks. So many snakes, spiders, tarantulas, and scorpions here it is ridiculous. We get everything from mountain lions, coyotes, wild boars, bobcats, bats to every kind of insect and spider imaginable. Had both a black widow and a brown recluse in my garage at the same time once.

Outside of my sister almost dying from her rattlesnake bite, I am most bothered by Mosquitoes since they are by far the most dangerous due to all the diseases they spread here and the sheer abundance of them. Those and the fire ants. Fire ants ate through my phone lines of one of my old apartments, those things are insane.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I live in Kansas City, Missouri. We get a lot of mosquitoes here. On Monday of this week we experienced a total eclipse of the sun. I was very lucky to be right in the path of the moon's shadow. It basically went from day to night in about two minutes. Crickets began chirping and birds went nuts for a moment and then completely disappeared to roost. It was basically sunset at 1:00 in the afternoon.

But the mosquitoes! It was like they were on steroid crack! I probably got a dozen bites in the two minutes that it took for the moon's shadow to pass over. It was fairly distracting as I was trying to observe the eclipse.

Also, my mother lives out in the country and she said that as the sun was coming back into view and the light came back, her neighbor's rooster crowed. Neat.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
I live in inner Sydney so I have to deal with millions upon millions of these...

Adorable... and if they bite you, you could die in one of the worst ways imaginable...

They darken the sky at dusk. There is a ridiculous number of them. Just bats. Millions and millions and millions of bats.
Aw! It's like a little baby monkey Dracula! Their deadliness only adds to the character.

OT:

Usually people tie their hair up so it doesn't interfere with serving the food and drink, but what do I know? This is a photo op!

Sorry, I forgot to wear my glasses for this one. Not even sure it is them and not my extravagantly decorated egg collection instead.

They breed. Like frogs. Am surrounded by noisy frogspawn. Except they're already responsible for the extermination of very many species on this planet to the point that it's now considered a 6th mass extinction. Most certainly dangerous to be cohabiting with. My claws are always locked and loaded in defense...