What languages do you speak?

rubinigosa

Dec 2, 2010
Well I can speak Swedish and English. I am trying to learn Japanese and I can understand a bit basic Spanish.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
British English, a few words of German from school, thats about it. I'd like to learn another language like French, German, or Russian but to be frank I have other things i'd rather do with my time (games)

Nyerion

Nov 9, 2010
Spanish is my native language. I understand English quite well, but I'm not so good when it comes to expressing myself. I should be able to speak a little French since I studied it in high school but I didn't pay too much atention...

I can also understand Italian, but that's beacause it's like spanish with a funny accent and moving your hands too much.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
My main language is English, I have some knowledge of German and French from school (Nothing fluent at all) and I was studying how to speak Japanese from a tutor. Shame she was a pretty poor and undedicated so I had to stop.

mvrichthofen

Sep 11, 2008
English, Spanish, Italian, reasonable French (enough to go to France and have a conversation about most things), little German (enough to go to Germany and not starve to death). Working on learning Japanese, a friend lives over there and I loved the country so much I plan to use the excuse of visiting to go back often :)

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
I speak English, German and Dutch fluently, French and Russian just good enough for most conversations, And bit of Latin and Spanish.
I learned English and German from TV and talking, Dutch and French in school, I followed a class for Russian, and I'm currently doing Latin and Spanish in school.

I absolutely hate Latin. So hard to learn...

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
I can speak English fluently.

I can speak some Arabic. I used to know more, but I have not spoken it since I was a kid.

I can speak some French. Taking a class in it.

I know some words in Japanese, but thats from watching subbed anime.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Puts me in mind of the following quote:

'Ah, I see you speak fluent bullshit.'
'Yeah, it's like a second language to me.'

Anyway:
Fluent: English, Chinese & Japanese
Conversational level: French & German (however, I've been accused of speaking waaaaay too quickly, but it's actually a cheat to get over grammatical errors... 'cos I keep forgetting the rules)

An ex speaks so many languages (fluently, as well) I can't remember them all, suffice to say, every Romance, most Germanic and some Turkice...

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Orcus_35 said:
ace_of_something said:
Just English. Trying to learn French in secret for my wife. It's going very slowly because learning a new language is tricky when you're dyslexic.
edit: Wife is from France. Hence the French.
at least you've got advantages! depending on which part of France she's from:

1- Excellent Culture
2- Excellent Food
3- Excellent humorists to discover
4- Excellent Bandes Déssinées aka Comics
5- Excellent movies

etc
Her family is from around Lyon.

Mar 9, 2010
Dags90 said:
Just the one...
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
I would like it on record that I am not a 40 year old fat guy with food stains down his top and living in the parents attic, I'm 16 skinny and living in his parent's house.
So you're more of this kind of nerd?
Damn, I forgot about those kind of nerds. I would also like it on the record that I am not that kind of nerd either.

Apr 29, 2010
I speak fluent English and Spanish. I know a few phrases in Japanese and German. I should start learning Japanese and German again.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Dutch (native) English (with a mixture of british and American words) and with some effort I can speak a bit of german and a small bit of Japinglish (I never spoke it and never intend to)

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Romidude said:
WorldCritic said:
Romidude said:
WorldCritic said:
English, three years of Spanish, and some broken Japanese. Unlike my friends who pretend to know Japanese, I admit that I can't speak it well.
Is he one of those idiots who learns Japanese off of Google translate?
Either that or trying to learn random words off of subbed anime.
Stuff like that just proves that humanity has been reduced to "KAWAAIII KAWAAII DESU DESU XDXD".
that,s not Japanese but Japinglish, its created when a Weeabo (not regular anime fan Weeabo or Wapanese) combines English with three words in Japanese (100% chance its Kawaii and Desu without knowing its true meaning)

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
Dutch, English and a very tiny bit of German and French.

And while I'm not a fan of tooting my own horn, I'm quite proud of the fact that I speak the former two fluently.

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
Ich habe eine katze im mein hosen! ^_^

English - Native and fluent

German - Fractured

Spanish - Can read fluently, terrible at speaking it

boosh-boosh

Feb 9, 2011
english, spanish and valenciano.
and yes, i'm aware the last one isn't a proper language *sigh*
just don't tell the inhabitants of valencia.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
german, english, french, latin (yes, you can speak latin!!), all both written and spoken, although the latter not fluently

Murais said:
Ich habe eine katze im mein hosen! ^_^
it should be "...in meiner hose" (wrong casus and numerus; also, pants/trousers aren't plural by default; one person wears "one trouser" at a time (usually xD))
but considering that many many people think german is quite a bi**ch it doesn't sound too fractured *thumbs up*
hell, half the population here sucks at their own language's grammar xD