What laptop brands are good?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Personally have a Medion laptop.

It's a bit more bulky than most comparable laptops but the hardware's solid and it's significantly cheaper. Not to mention that it doesn't come pre-loaded with all kinds of shit you don't want, instead it had Steam pre-installed.

If you don't care that much about fancy, shiny and flat I'd recommend them. It's good quality for a great price.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Bit late to the party overall, but I've always been with Lenovo since the days it was IBM doing the stuff.
Last laptop I had from them lasted 6 years without dying, with extremely heavy duty use from me, and after that I got a new one and passed it on to my girlfriend who was able to use it another year and a half before it kicked the bucket from mostly just not being taken care of.
Going the "Edge" series tends to work fairly well, highly customisable and fairly decent prices for laptops. Just bought my girlfriend a new one and for 4Gb RAM [She doesn't need more =P], a dedicated graphics card, i5, and 1Tb storage it was about $850. That said, I had been able to do the same cheaper earlier in the year, though that could be to Aus's plummeting dollar value [Cheers Rudd, good job kicking out the Auto industry].

That said, yeah, they come with a fair amount of bloatware. Some of it isn't bad, and can be useful at times, but a lot of it I just remove the icons for 'cause I'll never use them.

OT: Since you're just using fairly basic tasks on it, either laptop should be fine. Hell, I reckon you could probably get a tablet that'd do it for you. More advanced video editing and I'd say to look for something a bit better, but Windows movie maker... It may run/compile a bit slow but shouldn't be too bad I wouldn't think. Well, since we're talking games it'll depend which games you'll want to play as to how they'll run - an i3 and Intel HD graphics can only get you so far, especially the latter - but maybe the new generation stuff isn't as bad as the old, haven't really kept up to date with that for a while.

Never really been a fan of Toshiba. Its just always felt cheap and tacky to me with the materials they use for their laptops. Not that it actually is, I've only seen a few Toshiba's in use and haven't really asked in much detail about how they run/how long they last, but I've never really been a fan of the look and material. So, that's about as far as I can go in my recommendation for the two laptops.

ASUS seems to get good reviews here so maybe go for that, but as another note: Unless you REALLY want Windows 8 for some reason, try pressing the Windows 10 option on the ASUS seller's "Styles" section thing, slightly under the "In stock" green text. You get Windows 10, and its 70 pound cheaper, which I guess is another stroke in ASUS favour when the laptop ends up 80 pound cheaper than the Toshiba variant, with better overall reviews from the forums.
That said again though, as others have said, its a laptop, and you'll get what you pay for, so keep any expectations tempered. Hopefully it runs well though.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Joccaren said:
Bit late to the party overall, but I've always been with Lenovo since the days it was IBM doing the stuff.
Last laptop I had from them lasted 6 years without dying, with extremely heavy duty use from me, and after that I got a new one and passed it on to my girlfriend who was able to use it another year and a half before it kicked the bucket from mostly just not being taken care of.
Going the "Edge" series tends to work fairly well, highly customisable and fairly decent prices for laptops. Just bought my girlfriend a new one and for 4Gb RAM [She doesn't need more =P], a dedicated graphics card, i5, and 1Tb storage it was about $850. That said, I had been able to do the same cheaper earlier in the year, though that could be to Aus's plummeting dollar value [Cheers Rudd, good job kicking out the Auto industry].

That said, yeah, they come with a fair amount of bloatware. Some of it isn't bad, and can be useful at times, but a lot of it I just remove the icons for 'cause I'll never use them.

OT: Since you're just using fairly basic tasks on it, either laptop should be fine. Hell, I reckon you could probably get a tablet that'd do it for you. More advanced video editing and I'd say to look for something a bit better, but Windows movie maker... It may run/compile a bit slow but shouldn't be too bad I wouldn't think. Well, since we're talking games it'll depend which games you'll want to play as to how they'll run - an i3 and Intel HD graphics can only get you so far, especially the latter - but maybe the new generation stuff isn't as bad as the old, haven't really kept up to date with that for a while.

Never really been a fan of Toshiba. Its just always felt cheap and tacky to me with the materials they use for their laptops. Not that it actually is, I've only seen a few Toshiba's in use and haven't really asked in much detail about how they run/how long they last, but I've never really been a fan of the look and material. So, that's about as far as I can go in my recommendation for the two laptops.

ASUS seems to get good reviews here so maybe go for that, but as another note: Unless you REALLY want Windows 8 for some reason, try pressing the Windows 10 option on the ASUS seller's "Styles" section thing, slightly under the "In stock" green text. You get Windows 10, and its 70 pound cheaper, which I guess is another stroke in ASUS favour when the laptop ends up 80 pound cheaper than the Toshiba variant, with better overall reviews from the forums.
That said again though, as others have said, its a laptop, and you'll get what you pay for, so keep any expectations tempered. Hopefully it runs well though.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I did look at the Windows 10 version of the Asus and it's not as good as the Windows 8 one, it had a smaller hard drive (1TB rather than 1.5TB) and it has a lot less RAM (4GB rather than 8GB) so although the Windows 10 one is cheaper, I'd prefer the faster processor and bigger memory.