What made you join the Escapist?

dr_what

Oct 6, 2012
like a lot of folks, here because of ZP. joined the forums but have been really inactive, but now I'm seeking to change that; there's a wealth of great discussion here and I'm looking forward to jumping in and taking part :D

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
Looking back to my first post here, it seems that I joined to make some stupid puns in a pun thread. Sounds like something I'd do.

Those were simpler times...

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I joined the forums because in a debate about evolution somebody was stupid enough to ask "Then why aren't things evolving anymore?"

I joined the Club Of Pub because I wanted that neat little text right beneath my username.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
I first found the site years ago due to Zero Punctuation. Lurked for a long time, never really getting involved in the forums as they came across as an odd game of passive-aggressive sniping across a ban-minefield; each side taking shots at the other while trying to enrage the other into making a fatal mistake. Kind of amusing to watch from afar sometimes, but I never wanted to get involved. At the time, I frequented many different gaming sites. About August, last year, I started culling down the number of sites I frequented, ya know, for reasons, and the Escapist was one of the few that I stuck with. I ended up spending more time here and finally broke down to register recently because someone on the internet was wrong [footnote][http://xkcd.com/386/[/footnote].

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
DOOM GUY said:
Slenn said:
Same reasons. Although add on forum games to my list of reasons for staying.

Can I just say I love your avatar?
Ah, forum games is also very nice, one of the reasons I stick around as well.

Why, thank you! Are you a Touhou fan?
Yes I am! I've done a Reimu Hakurei and Hong Meiling crossplay. I also love the games! Although I've only beaten one, and that was 6.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
I joined because some friends were on the site. after that, i mostly kept around for the forums and Critical Miss...though that seems to have been dwindling a little bit. don't think i cared much for Jimquisition and Extra Credits. remember reading up about There Will Be Brawl on TvTropes though, so that probably helped influence as well.

EDIT: ^ you mean like those "free" giweaways that involves spreading news by retweeting, following on Instagram and whatever, where 2k people is after a single copy of a game?

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
Unforgotten realms, I joined for that show specifically on the basis that one day I may actually want to talk about it.

I posted on one episode before that 'thing' happened, now I just stay here ruminating about nothing as I peruse the comments and the news articles, I still watch Zero punctuation but other than that not much else.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
ArcadianDrew said:
CrystalShadow said:
As you can see from my join date I didn't actually join until april 2009.
Why? Because I'm not very sociable, and I had other forums to occupy my time.
I seem to be of a similar mold, though I actually started lurking in late 2008. Look at my join date, it took years to actually want to post something on here and weirdly, I chose the moment when shit hit the fan on these forums. Timing, eh?
Ah, yes. Very interesting timing indeed. And uh, you left it from 2008 to 2014? XD - And I thought I had been lurking around for a long time... Guess not. XD

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Pretty much Zero Punctuation got me to eventually consider making an account. I wont lie though, I still mostly just lurk and don't think I have ever really contributed much here. Still, one day I might, who knows. At least I those badge things and such.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I joined for ZP, stayed for the forums, and join the pub club so I could watch videos on my iPod touch.

Jarmam

Jan 21, 2015
Lurked for ZP + some of the articles here, subscribed due to http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/12891-The-Escapist-s-New-Editor-in-Chief

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I don't remember why, I got interested in the site because of Yahtzee, but I guess I stayed for the forums.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Slenn said:
Yes I am! I've done a Reimu Hakurei and Hong Meiling crossplay. I also love the games! Although I've only beaten one, and that was 6.
Ah, I see your Reimu in your profile, looks pretty good!

Embodiment of Scarlet Devil was pretty good, have you gotten close to beating any of the others?

Monk5127

All Hail Space Duck
Sep 6, 2014
Started coming to the site for ZP sometime in 2007 and would read the occasional interesting looking thread from the latest posts thing on the side of the screen.
I never bothered to make an account/post until one day somebody was asking about a PC build and I thought "I could contribute to that".

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
DOOM GUY said:
Slenn said:
Ah, I see your Reimu in your profile, looks pretty good!

Embodiment of Scarlet Devil was pretty good, have you gotten close to beating any of the others?
Thank you very much!

I also have 7 and 8 on my computer, and I'm able to get to Yuyuko on 1 cc, but I haven't played much of 8. I tend to like 7 a whole lot more than 6. Just because it had better visuals and music. Plus the danmaku designs were a whole lot more creative. Youmu is probably my favorite fight so far, if only because she has danmaku coming up from the bottom of the screen and the top. And it creates all sorts of fun chaos. I used to have a working emulator for the PC 98 games, but upgrading my computer made it not work any more.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Responding to something in a ZP thing, I think about zombies. Then kept quiet for a year.
Pretty much this, someone said something in the comment section of ZP and I created an account to reply or comment on the video, and I've been stuck here ever since.....

..... There's no where I'd rather be :p

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Came for Yahtzee, and right now he's the only thing keeping me here since all my other content guys are gone. Unless the new guys are good, in which case, sweet.

Aerith

Feb 25, 2015
The Purge. No more Sterling, No more Bob. Only to be replaced by some of the best people I've had the pleasure of meeting online in the passed few months. :3

ShadyNinja

Jan 17, 2012
Well I visited the Escapist for a long time but I finally became a registered user after constantly going on forum threads and noticing that this site's users are much more unique than other gaming sites and I was attracted by the fact that many forum users seemed to have a high intelligence and spoke in a very eloquent and distinguished manner.

I still think the Escapist users for the most part are kind, smart and better than gaming users on other sites. There seem to be less trolls and negative people here and more intelligent and constructive discussions, regardless of any differing views.

Zaeseled

May 17, 2011
Zero Punctuation, and the reason I came to the forums was because someone was WRONG and I wanted to correct them.