What makes a PC port "crappy"?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Rylee Fox said:
I suppose you didn't totally read my OP. I do own skyrim and I agree the interface was built for a controller, which is why I use one. =P Is using a controller with your PC really that bad?
It is that bad for those of us who played Morrowind, whose PC version had the interface made for mouse and keyboard.

Sometime between Morrowind and Oblivion, the User Interface became worse.

There is such a thing as a usability factor; that is how much information an interface can clearly communicate and manipulate at once.
Businesses outside of video gaming have wrestled with that for years; there are still command line prompts in some working applications despite the advent of GUIs and mouse controls because they still serve practical functions (like in computer networking and routers).

More directly, ff that break in functionality doesn't bother you because you use a controller, fine, it doesn't bother you.
But it definitely bothers me because I know that could be fixed in a day or two if Bethesda put forth the effort.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Snotnarok said:
Saints Row 2, GTA 4, games that run on a 360 easily but on a PC that's far more powerful it has large framerate drops and other issues. That's them doing a crappy porting job.

Other BS includes games not having the ability to customize the controls like Mass Effect 2 & 3, so you're stuck with spacebar being the button to interact, use cover and sprint vs Mass Effect 1 which allowed you to use shift to sprint, E to use etc.
You can rebind them in ME 2-3, I use E instead of spacebar.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
sneakypenguin said:
Snotnarok said:
Saints Row 2, GTA 4, games that run on a 360 easily but on a PC that's far more powerful it has large framerate drops and other issues. That's them doing a crappy porting job.

Other BS includes games not having the ability to customize the controls like Mass Effect 2 & 3, so you're stuck with spacebar being the button to interact, use cover and sprint vs Mass Effect 1 which allowed you to use shift to sprint, E to use etc.
You can rebind them in ME 2-3, I use E instead of spacebar.
Yes but you can't rebind E to be use only, it'll be use/sprint/cover. I wound up changing it to shift and space to powers. Which is just irritating. I'm not even sure you can use a controller on them (not easily anyway) so it makes it more confusing why they grouped the keys like that.

vasiD

Oct 28, 2012
Poor optimization, bad or no graphic setting options, but mainly what pisses me off (and most fans from my observation) are controller optimized menus.

My best example is Skyrim, the interface of which was terrible with a mouse and keyboard. Thankfully there is a mod to fix this, but it's just pathetic that Bethesda and a number of other HUGE companies can't just make a few new assets to make menus more PC friendly on their MULTIMILLION dollar titles.

I think the real heart of the hate though is the fact that it makes it obvious you're playing a game optimized for a decade old console.

Mind you I'm with you on the controller bit, some games were meant for a controller and should be played as such, I wouldn't want a keyboard and mouse for Street Fighter after all, but for any first person shooter (which I'd be mental to play with a controller) they should really just optimize the menus.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
SkarKrow said:
Skyrims UI could work with a mouse if you ask me but it's just so badly set out and thought through it doesn't work. You really should be able to just click through the entire interface, it seems like it would be perfectly possible to do that, maybe pushing E or something now and then but no, you need to mash all kinds of keys and use the mouse too an dit's poorly thought out. I usually find the mouse and keyboard controls for recent bethesda games a bit lacking though.
Bethesda doesn't know what to do.

With Fallout 3 und New Vegas, they utilized the Pip Boy as an inventory interface but navigating it was such a chore. Back and forth. It was annoying. And obviously, consistent. Because, technically, it was being done in game, real time be damned.

And then in Skyrim, they put in this interface which goes antithetical to what the game has going. They could've used.. I'unno, scrolls as an inventory system? Much like a book. It would've been annoying too but at least it was would've been annoyingly consistent with the world at large. :p

the_retro_gamer

Apr 8, 2013
Bad controls that require a whole rework of the control scheme. GTA: San Andreas RC plane mission comes to mind with it's sloppy controls that causes your plane to fly all over the place.

Games that require you to mess around with the files before you can get them to start. It took me a week to get GTA 4 to work and along the why there was much frustration.

I just getting into PC gaming and this was my experiences with bad ports.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
If the game doesn't run well with a PC, regardless of hardware, it's a bad port. GTA4 can barely run at any decent framerate out of the box (you can mod it to make it playable), regardless of how powerful a computer you play it on, that makes it a bad port.

If a game doesn't allow you to use a mouse in menus, that's a bad port, or if the controls aren't set up to utilize the keyboard layout well, that's a bad port. If the game highly limits your options in terms of graphics and sound settings, that's a bad port.
Goddamn it you beat me to it, but yeah, more or less what this guy said.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
mParadox said:
SkarKrow said:
Skyrims UI could work with a mouse if you ask me but it's just so badly set out and thought through it doesn't work. You really should be able to just click through the entire interface, it seems like it would be perfectly possible to do that, maybe pushing E or something now and then but no, you need to mash all kinds of keys and use the mouse too an dit's poorly thought out. I usually find the mouse and keyboard controls for recent bethesda games a bit lacking though.
Bethesda doesn't know what to do.

With Fallout 3 und New Vegas, they utilized the Pip Boy as an inventory interface but navigating it was such a chore. Back and forth. It was annoying. And obviously, consistent. Because, technically, it was being done in game, real time be damned.

And then in Skyrim, they put in this interface which goes antithetical to what the game has going. They could've used.. I'unno, scrolls as an inventory system? Much like a book. It would've been annoying too but at least it was would've been annoyingly consistent with the world at large. :p
I found both systems to be a huge ballache to navigate with a keyboard, mostly because the mapping is all over the place and some things that could be one key are four or five, or hell it could ALL be point and click and much simpler, in the case of Fallout and Skyrim at least. Oblivion isn't as bad with it's UI but I still have my niggles with the thing.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Rylee Fox said:
I started doing PC gaming a couple of years ago and my steam collection is well over 100 games now so I like to think I'm familiar with PC gaming now. There is one thing that always bugs me though.

I frequently hear people say that a port of a game from console to PC is very bad and having played a few of those games myself (a newer one being Dark Souls) I don't really understand where the complaint is from.

Graphics: Sometimes I see people say that the PC port is bad because you can run it on the highest settings and it won't make your computer explode. I say is that such a big deal? Graphics aren't everything and I enjoy games just fine that don't push my (admittedly crappy) laptop to its limits. I run Skyrim on medium graphics, although I can run on ultra I just get a crapload of slowdown but its actually still reasonably playable. A game doesn't need amazing graphics to be good.

Controls: I see people say that if keyboard/mouse controls aren't perfect the port is bad, or if a controller is better suited to the game the port is bad. I don't see how. If a controller would work better, just use it. I've beaten Super Meat Boy and used a controller to do that, though when playing through XCOM: Enemy Unknown I haven't even ever thought of using my controller. In some games, like Borderlands, I've used both. I say, is the game still playable? If yes, move on.

I ask you, what do you say makes a PC port bad? Feel free to tell me I'm wrong as long as you tell me why and have a good reason. (I love a good debate)

Oh also I'm planning to start my 4th playthrough of XCOM: Enemy Unknown (I really love that game). I have finished it on normal twice (I'm not happy to admit I used a lot of save scumming for that, feel free to hate me.:p ) Though I just did a runthrough on classic without save scumming and finished while only losing a total of 8 soldiers. Think I could run a successful ironman impossible?
1) Graphics. You see, PC is a platform that is used to get a possibility to vary graphics from low to extra-high. Console ports, alas, tend to give us a couple of options at best and graphics on console ports tend to be actually WORSE then on consoles they come from. See Dark Souls, for example.
2) Controls. PC equals mouse+keyboard. Not everyone has gamepads/steer wheels/joysticks. If the game for console would be nearly unplayable with its main controller (say, PS3 gamepad), it would be as frustrating for console players, as for us, PC players, is developers inability to just simply make the mouse work.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
SkarKrow said:
I found both systems to be a huge ballache to navigate with a keyboard, mostly because the mapping is all over the place and some things that could be one key are four or five, or hell it could ALL be point and click and much simpler, in the case of Fallout and Skyrim at least. Oblivion isn't as bad with it's UI but I still have my niggles with the thing.
And let's not forget the most important feature of all inventory systems, which was missing from Fallout 3, New Vegas AND Skyrim.

The ability to see your character in the inventory.

Oh no wait, Oblivion did it and it came out in 2006. Silly me.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
mParadox said:
SkarKrow said:
And let's not forget the most important feature of all inventory systems, which was missing from Fallout 3, New Vegas AND Skyrim.

The ability to see your character in the inventory.

Oh no wait, Oblivion did it and it came out in 2006. Silly me.
I'm not too fussed about seeing the actual character in the inventory? So long as the inventory screen tells me what I need to know and is seemless and intuitive to navigate.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
IllumInaTIma said:
The most horrible PC port I remember is Resident Evil 4. It was basically Resident Evil 4 on some kind of Xbox emulator, no mouse support, no system options and no explanation of which button's which, so in the middle of QTE you would get X button shown on the screen and you won't remember what key on the keyboard corresponds to that.
I actually bought that...I beat it twice and had a lot of fun with it. It's still a fucking shitty port as it didn't even support a Gamecube Controller...And it was actually the PS2 version that was ported to PC. All of the Gamecube cutscenes were done with the in game engine actually animating the characters in real time. THE PC PORT HAD ICKY COMPRESSED MOVIE FILES!

RANDOM FACT TIME! If you did Something Super Terrible That I Totally Don't Support and got a Gamecube copy of Resident Evil 4 on your PC and ran it on an emulator, you can actually change the resolution, AA and texture settings.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Poor controls (especially mouse acceleration), bad optimisation & stability, lack of a proper options menu, not being able to tweak .cfg.

The Headcrab Farmer

Dec 16, 2010
A locked FPS, few adjustable graphics options. bad optimization and bad transition from controller to M+K gets bad marks in my books. For example, the Syndicate FPS had poor graphics options and whilst id did allow for remappable keys, they only displayed controller buttons in the tutorials and QTE's.

The GTA games i would say too, especially the Rage engine ones. The GTA III games had few graphical options, some didn't work and the controller was lacking. The GTA IV games were poorly ported due too REALLY bad optimization, but provided a plethora of resolutions, graphics options, remappable keys and functioning controls.

A good PC port would be the first Mass Effect, it provided good graphical and controlling options whilst being properly optimized and had its interface redone for Mouse and Keyboard.

Robby Foxfur

Sep 1, 2009
Rylee Fox said:
mParadox said:
No bugs, that's important.

Proper support for keyboard and mouse. That means adding support to re assign keys. An option which is left out in some games, I find.

Proper acknowledgement that PC gamers more or less use keyboard and mouse. Seriously, have you seen the UI of Skyrim and Assassin's Creed 3? Absolutely atrocious. Sure it works well with a controller, probably even marvelously but it's a complete chore navigating it with keyboard and mouse.

FOV slider. It's important. People play games to escape reality, not get sick. Motion sickness is a very real problem when the FOV scale is reeeeeeeeeally down.
I suppose you didn't totally read my OP. I do own skyrim and I agree the interface was built for a controller, which is why I use one. =P Is using a controller with your PC really that bad?

I have to leave for work now and won't be able to be back online until tomorrow so no more responses from me. I'll catch up next time I get on. Please continue everyone. :)
Personally i don't like using a controller, i like the keyboard and them mouse this is why i have a device that lets me use on on the xbox. If you ported a game to the PC and expect me to use a controller i most likely don't have that seems like a waste of both our time. The control scheme for a PC is dominated by the mouse and keyboard there are people who play with the controller but that not me, i chose the pc for the customization and accuracy that a mouse and keyboard afford.

What makes a port bad to me is a game that shows a lack of time spent in trying to make the game playable ie, if you are still using the xbox button icons in the tutorial video, i'll even let it slide that the key should change if you remap it providing you can do that. If you can adjust how you play the game to best suit you it starts to become frustrating before you start playing. In my opinion if the game is literally just a port meaning it just runs on the PC then its a bad port but if effort is put into to make the game run well and easy to use, like it is on the console, then its a good port.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
SkarKrow said:
I'm not too fussed about seeing the actual character in the inventory? So long as the inventory screen tells me what I need to know and is seemless and intuitive to navigate.
Which, coming back to the topic on hand, isn't something that the vanilla Skyrim UI and Fallout 3 and New Vegas do very well. :p

Display relevant information, sure, it works. But navigation? And intuitive at that? Yeeeeeah ha ha, no. Still, points to Fallout 3 and New Vegas for trying.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
mParadox said:
SkarKrow said:
Which, coming back to the topic on hand, isn't something that the vanilla Skyrim UI and Fallout 3 and New Vegas do very well. :p

Display relevant information, sure, it works. But navigation? And intuitive at that? Yeeeeeah ha ha, no. Still, points to Fallout 3 and New Vegas for trying.

Yeah it is a problem, Fallout 3 and NV are just weird, they always feel stiff to control for me compared to Skyrim or Oblivion I don't really know why.

Maybe it's that it's gun focused and the guns feel shit for the most part.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
SkarKrow said:
Yeah it is a problem, Fallout 3 and NV are just weird, they always feel stiff to control for me compared to Skyrim or Oblivion I don't really know why.

That's also a problem, oddly enough. 3 and New Vegas feel incredibly stiff as opposed to Oblivion and Skyrim. Quite a conundrum. And yes, it's probably because it's gun focused. The variety of guns is, honestly, lacking. I mean, really, post apocalyptic setting and no one decides to mish mash weapons together? The horror...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
mParadox said:
SkarKrow said:

That's also a problem, oddly enough. 3 and New Vegas feel incredibly stiff as opposed to Oblivion and Skyrim. Quite a conundrum. And yes, it's probably because it's gun focused. The variety of guns is, honestly, lacking. I mean, really, post apocalyptic setting and no one decides to mish mash weapons together? The horror...
Yeah it's jsut stiff to move around and navigate the environment in Fallout, the gunplay is bad to say the least and it really needs some work, even compared to playing archer classes in TES it's horribly stiff and sloppy at the same time.

I also hate the weapon degradation. I always hate that though.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
SkarKrow said:
Yeah it's just stiff to move around and navigate the environment in Fallout, the gunplay is bad to say the least and it really needs some work, even compared to playing archer classes in TES it's horribly stiff and sloppy at the same time.

I also hate the weapon degradation. I always hate that though.
Weapon degradation is a mechanic. To show off realism. It makes sense that such a thing would happen in the post apocalyptic world but the rate at which weapons degrade is so arbitrary that it might as well not be there.

[sub]And I liked the Archer class in Skyrim. It was fun being a medieval sniper. >.>[/sub]