What makes you a "HardCore" gamer

BlackFlyme

Dec 27, 2012
I casually play Dwarf Fortress, I've heard it's considered a hardcore game. However, some of the more "Hardcore" dwarf fortress players terrify the hell out of me. Seriously, they'd make Khorne cringe with some of the shit they pull off.

As for bad-ass things I've pulled off in games, I actually can't think of anything truly all that awesome that the game doesn't actually set you up to do anyways, aside from beating Dark Souls with increasingly ridiculous equipment set-ups. Unless you count some of the things I've pulled off in DF, but awesome things in DF can be incredibly mundane compared to other games, like managing to fight off several enemies at once or hiking to the top of a mountain/volcano.

Seriously, just doing this actually counts as a historical event, people will actually make figurines and carve engravings of this.

I guess I'd call that a draw.

The fact it was full of arrows made of solid silver probably helped add a bit of weight to the throw.

I just enjoy the mental image. Shame I couldn't get more bounces out of him, but the room was only so big.

Killing a Titan, which is a randomly generated beast, by throwing a chunk of meat at it, causing it to explode. Though it was made of mud, so it's not like it was that strong in the first place.

Getting saved from a rampaging centaur by a freaking cat. killstealer. (The centaur was modded in, they normally don't exist in-game.)

Barely killing a dragon with a lucky stab to the head after it ripped off both my legs and my left arm. I still don't know how I didn't bleed out, and I still don't know where the hell I can find a crutch so I can stop crawling everywhere. I also don't know how someone can stand with a crutch even when they are missing both legs. Maybe it doubles as a pogo stick?

Getting thrown by a giant into a cursed cloud, which turned me into a nigh un-killable zombie abomination. Luckily, the giant didn't wander into the cloud as well, or that fight would still be ongoing. Seriously, evil weather can be hardcore.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
I'm reading and posting in a forum in a website dedicated to video-games.
I know the name of at least one incoming title for the next semester or year.
If all games ceased to exist overnight, I'd be among the ones who notice.

I any of the above is true for you, you're a hardcore gamer too.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
ShinyCharizard said:
If you consider gaming to be your hobby then you are a hardcore gamer in my mind.
I would amend that to gaming as one of your primary hobbies. If gaming is your hobby, you are just a gamer. If gaming is your primary hobby then you are a hardcore gamer.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
My measure of a hardcore gamer is all about what you do other than games. I don't care what you play or how hard it is.

I'm a hard core gamer because I watch ZP and AVGN and Extra Credits and Jimquisition, because I follow a long list of gaming comics, because I follow the industry, learn the names of developers, get excited about press releases, get angry about bad company practices, and talk about it on forums. It doesn't matter what games I play or how. I'm hardcore because I care about it all enough to immerse myself in the very culture that surrounds it.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'm pretty sure that's actually taken from another comic to do with Dwarf Fortress, there's another panel. Either that or the person who drew the Dwarf Fortress bit appended it onto this. Either way someone dun copied the other.

Anyway...

Nothing makes me a hardcore gamer. I wouldn't describe myself with the term thanks to the baggage it carries in what it implies about your behaviour and tastes. However I do play games extensively, I do try to understand the game on a mechanical level, I involve myself in the community and test mechanics, etc. As far as actual achievements, I have done an SL1 run of Dark Souls all bosses included and have over 40 Dark Souls builds made from scratch after bugs had already been patched, I have solo'd White Fatalis and Ukanlos on MHFU, I was part of a team that took over the Alpine region of ACV decisively (probably says more about patience than skill but w/e). No mindblowing stuff, but I'm dedicated.

Milanezi said:
I myself am playing Dark Souls, famously known as extremely hard (I insist though, Candy Crush is way harder)
I had to quote this because a lot of the time detractors of Dark Souls will say that the difficulty is artificial, ie. the player has no control over when they fail, and yet Candy Crush is the epitome of artificial difficulty, randomising layout every time so it doesn't even assure that there is a solution at all.

Severian

Jun 13, 2013
I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer. I just know that I've been playing video games for 30 years and have a fountain of useless knowledge pertaining to the subject. I also keep up with all the new video game jazz, more than anyone I know. Just a hobby to pass the time. I also like movies and outdoors. :D

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Uhhh. I used to be in the top 1k in osu!, back before I stopped playing it. Specifically in the 600's.

Can I be hardcore now? Oh, wait. I'm casually hardcore, nevermind.

[sub][sub][sub]Which always makes me laugh because nobody can seem to grasp the concept of casually hardcore and almost always misunderstands it.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

As far as I'm concerned, it's all nonsense. To me, we're all gamers. Everyone plays games for different reasons and/or in different stretches of time. I don't care if you play easier games, shorter games, longer games or harder games. I don't care if you play AAA, Indie, niche or shovelware games.

Different people like different things. No one aspect of gaming is better or superior to any other aspect.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
Zacharious-khan said:
So I saw this comic and it got me thinking http://chickgeek.org/hardcore-gaming/
What makes a game hardcore and how far does interaction with the hardcore game have to go before the player becomes hardcore? Does the title need to be refreshed every now and again?

Feel free to discus the above but my question to you is what have you done/ played that makes you a hardcore gamer

Personaly, I'm a 38th HR Hunter in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
and
I've beaten 5 bosses in "I Wanna Be the Guy"

Feel free to leave your personal hardcoreities and also to call out people for things they've said OP's off limits. Have fun!
A hardcore gamer is an elitist shithead who takes gaming way to seriously and is therefore a total loser.

Also i beat a dragon in skyrim using only my fists. #robazzswag

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Gaming is my primary hobby but I would hardly call myself "hardcore".

I don't enter into tournaments, I don't aspire to be a professional, I can have a conversation that doesn't involve gaming, and I don't consider gaming achievements to be worthy of praise.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I got carpal tunnel syndrome by age 21 from pretty much doing nothing but play video games all the time.

So I think I earned the title of 'hardcore'.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
I finished Nethack. Just for the sheer amount of time it took me to get anywhere in that game and the crazy number of deaths, it feels like a pretty decent accomplishment to me. At any rate, nethack could hardly be described as a casual experience.