Audio/video?
PC/Mobile?

Why those?
What did you use before?

[hr]

Myself:

PC

Audio - winamp - v2.8.0
Was the most efficient/simple player I could find using under 7 mb of ram to play a song
Sometimes I wish it displayed the album art and other fun doodads (like foobar2000) but I realized I wouldn't be staring at it while working on stuff

Video - bomi

Thing is jam packed with keyboard shortcuts which you can customize to your liking
Saves the position you were last at upon closing - keeps a playback history of items you've opened with it - double click to full screen - has played everything I've thrown at it so far without issue

Only thing I didn't like about it at default was that when opened with nothing playing it displays its logo in the center with a bright red background filling in the rest - quickly found the option to disable that

You have to pan to one of the three sides with your mouse for the tools to pop up making it unobtrusive as you can input all your actions via the keyboard shortcuts

I adore this one the most of all I've listed here

Mobile

Audio - Default android/lollipop music player generically named - music - v5
I really enjoy mobile players since their UIs tend to favor album art which I find important when browsing through my collection deciding on what to play. Anyway this came loaded on the phone I got which saved me the hassle of searching for others as I've been using it ever since.

Dark UI - does this nice backdrop thing - simple

A con - the status bar notification is white but I'm blaming that on lollipop

Video - MX Player Pro - v1.7.39

Though I don't like its filer browser the player itself is very sleek
Honestly I just found the first dark UI player on the store and have kept with it
Supports dual audio/subtitles and also played everything without fuss

Swipe up/down to increase/decrease volume/brightness depending on what side of the screen you swipe. This is probably very standard now but it sorta blew me away when I started using it.

Quality of video is bad but the player looks like this

Since mobile developers constantly chug out media player applications I feel like a dinosaur mentioning these despite only a few years having passed

[hr]

For the longest time I thought wmp11 was the king of all things in need of playing

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I use Music Bee on my computer. Link
It takes a little to set up the way you want it but it's really adaptable to what ever you need. (Honeycomb skin looks really nice)

As for my phone BlackPlayer is simple, looks good and I haven't had one single problem with it yet.
Link

Both do what I want well enough that I haven't thought about changing for a good while now.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I don't. Well, technically I'd use whatever came with Windows 10, but I don't watch films or listen to music on or through my PC. Sony's Media Go gets music onto my Walkman, and that's about it.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I don't really consume that much media on my computer anymore, but here are the programs I usually use;

PC

Audio - Nothing, I don't listen to music files on my computer, when I want to listen to music I usually have YouTube running in a tab in a browser, it may not be the most resource efficient way of doing it.

Video - VLC & MPC-HC

Although I don't consume much visual media on my computer, when I do I usually use either VLC or MPC-HC, both have never really failed me in terms of compatibility and I only really switch between the two because sometimes I grow tired of VLC's UI and I want something simpler.

Mobile

Audio - Nothing, I don't listen to music on my phone, I don't have that many music files on my phone either, but when I do I usually use the default music player that comes with Android.

Video - Android Default Video player & VLC, I don't really watch videos on my phone that aren't being streamed through an app or browser, but when I do I use the default video player that comes with Android and when that doesn't support the file I switch to VLC, which hasn't let me down thus far.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
PC

Video: MPC-HC, runs everything I throw at it.

Audio: just basic Windows Media Player for casual listening or VirtualDJ Pro for when I want to tinker with a song a little.

Mobile

Video/Audio: stock Android stuff.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
VLC for all video. Windows Media Player for the odd music file I might have. The rest I stream online.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
VLC for basically everything but Quicktime players I use to test functionality for my exports for work.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
PC
Video
VLC, sometimes the default media player. I use a lower contrast on VLC, so I can switch in between depending on what I'm watching.

Audio
I haven't used Winamp in ages, it used to be my sole go-to program. I even made some skins for it way back in the day. I'm talking like 12 or so years ago. Now that you bring it up, I might just go back and have a look how it is now. Anyway I use VLC for audio as well now, out of laziness.

Mobile
Video
Switch between MX Player and VLC. Sometimes MX Player gives me AC3 sound errors.

Audio
Default usually. Few years back I used a 3rd party one which let me queue up songs when I MC'd for a school performance, and stopped them instead of auto jumping to the next. I can try and find the name of it, but I doubt it exists now.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'm for VLC too and tend to listen to audio on YouTube. The only exception is listen to podcasts on Soundcload

I had no idea winamp still existed. I don't think I've used it since 2004

loa

Jan 28, 2012
VLC for video, XMplay for audio.
On my phone, I use the mx player for video and the default one for audio.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
On PC, Media Monkey and VLC. If I have to quickly open a media file, I might use Windows Media Player, but for music I use Media Monkey and, for video, VLC.
I own a Raspberry Pi too for IT class and I use OSMC on that.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Gauche said:
Silentpony said:
VLC or MyPcStar...why?
Just wondering - might learn of something new and interesting
Why the or?
MyPcStar is the go-to for me, but every now and then a video can't be played. Old DVDs are infamous for this. And VLC can play anything.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Dr.Susse said:
I use Music Bee on my computer
First comment and I find someone who also uses Music Bee! This program is the absolute best.

Audio PC: Music Bee
Video PC: VLC

Audio Mobile : Default music player (I don't listen to music on my phone, I have a MP3 player for that)
Video Mobile: VLC

404notfound

Nov 9, 2009
PC: Itunes for audio and VLC for Video. Itunes is simple; got given a bunch of gift cards so stuck with it. I just generally like VLC's layout etc.

Mobile: Doubletwist. Syncs with Itunes library, pretty simple to use. Nice app and I like the way it changes the lock screen.

Wakey87

Sep 20, 2011
I use MPC-HC, switched from VLC when people started releasing 10bit colour videos.

Don't realy use anything for music.