What MLP episode should my friend watch?

DesertMummy

Jan 6, 2011
Alright, so I finally manned up and told my friends that I watch a show for six year-old girls and, unsurprisingly, was met with ridicule for the first month or tow. However, more recently, I've been able to coax a few of them into watching an episode, they're reason of course being so they can see "just how much it sucks". Now my question is, what episode do you think I should show them? Preferably a Rainbow Dash centric one, since I keep telling them how awesome and how much swag Dashie has.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
One question, pertaining only to bronies - might I point you in the direction of the MLP User Group?

Assuming this magical show of rapturous wonder has an equally praise-worthy plot, surely we should start from the beginning of this epic tale. I mean, if a pony's whole motivation and character could be stereotyped from simply one episode to understand their actions, it wouldn't quite represent the literal gift from God to humanity that MLP clearly must be.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
TheBobmus said:
One question, pertaining only to bronies - might I point you in the direction of the MLP User Group?

Assuming this magical show of rapturous wonder has an equally praise-worthy plot, surely we should start from the beginning of this epic tale. I mean, if a pony's whole motivation and character could be stereotyped from simply one episode to understand their actions, it wouldn't quite represent the literal gift from God to humanity that MLP clearly must be.
Its not like this is a forum for other things that people in the past have used for asking questions, you don't have to keep a keen eye out for anyone making a pony thread to yell at, in fact it takes less effort to not do that then it does to do it.

regarding OP, this one is pretty good

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I remember there was a vote on Equestria Daily at which episodes is the best to introduce it to a non brony person and the result was Party of One. I guess Lesson Zero also work too but since you want a Raindow Dash centric episode, why not the Sonic Rainboom?

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Worgen said:
TheBobmus said:
Its not like this is a forum for other things that people in the past have used for asking questions, you don't have to keep a keen eye out for anyone making a pony thread to yell at, in fact it takes less effort to not do that then it does to do it.
When it is a question that makes no effort to even vaguely address the non-MLP fans we can safely contain it within the User-Group. It's there for a reason, and that reason is for MLP fans to discuss the show.
I don't 'jump on every thread', but this one has absolutely no reason to exist outside of the user group.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
TheBobmus said:
Worgen said:
TheBobmus said:
When it is a question that makes no effort to even vaguely address the non-MLP fans we can safely contain it within the User-Group. It's there for a reason, and that reason is for MLP fans to discuss the show.
I don't 'jump on every thread', but this one has absolutely no reason to exist outside of the user group.
Then why even have an "other stuff" forum? I'm sure that there are user groups for 90% of the topics that show up here. By your logic everything should be handled in user groups which negates the need for this forum. You don't see many people doing this in the movie or music or tech threads but somehow ponies are different? Even during the height of skyrim you didn't see people constantly telling them to post it on a user group, they just bitched endlessly about the endless skyrim threads.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I'd go with Dragonshy. It's funny and adventury, doesn't rely on cheap humor and it characterizes the Mane 6 pretty well. I think Return of Harmony 1 and 2 would also work pretty well. If you want a Rainbow Dash centric episode i'd recommend Fallweather Friends.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
While this might not be as helpful as you'd like, I volunteered as a non-brony to watch the episode voted on in this old thread

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.317866-Best-MLP-episode-for-converting-people#12944962

I watched "Sonic Rainbow", which was the episode the most people wanted me to watch. My response:

tippy2k2 said:
Alright, I'm back after watching "Rainbow Dash"...

and I still don't get what the big deal is. The episode itself wasn't terribly funny (though moments did make me smile). The story was terribly predicable. Lastly, I don't think there's ever been a character that I wanted to punch then the one with those butterfly wings.

Granted, I recognize it's a kids show but when MLP fans are making it sound like the second coming of Christ and He brought everyone a magic box that never runs out of Krispy Kreams that don't affect your waistline, it's going to disappoint.

I'm not exactly the target audience but there are plenty of "kids" shows I love. Animaniacs and Powerpuff girls (PPG certainly being a "girly" cartoon) were two I loved growing up. Today, Fairly Odd Parents is one I find chuckle worthy but this just wasn't doing it. Great if you like it and I can feel alright critiquing it now that I've given an episode a shot.
Lesson of the story? If you're just trying to force the show down their throats, it's not going to work...at all. From your OP, it looks like you've had to bug them a lot to get them to try it, which means they are going in with the viewpoint of "This is stupid" already. I'm sorry that I have to be the one to break this to you MLP fans: The show is not good enough to change someone's opinion if they're going in thinking it's dumb.

If they want to watch the show, go for it; maybe they'll like it but if they're going to watch it just to "Prove how dumb it is", the show is not good enough to win them over.

DesertMummy said:
While I agree with you, please take your argument with this asshole to PM so as to not derail the thread?
Also, that's not showing the power of friendship very well, now is it?

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
PsychedelicDiamond said:
I'd go with Dragonshy. It's funny and adventury, doesn't rely on cheap humor and it characterizes the Mane 6 pretty well. I think Return of Harmony 1 and 2 would also work pretty well. If you want a Rainbow Dash centric episode i'd recommend Fallweather Friends.
Dragonshy is generally my preferred intro episode as well.

Obligatory Escapist MLP user group link:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/MLP-Friendship-is-Magic
I recommend that anyone who joins uncheck "Chat Notifications" when prompted as the group chat tends to be quite active.

And though Bobmus was a bit of a dick about it, he isn't necessarily wrong. Especially since this exact question has been asked a number of times.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Party of One is the only episode I've seen (I was feeling pony-curious when I watched it) and I'd say it's certainly something that can be enjoyed by non-bronies.