What order to play MGS series in?

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I'm planning to play the MGS series on my PS3 I've recently acquired. As far as I'm aware there's these main series games: MGS1, 2, 3, 4, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes, as well as the two NES games?

1. Do you play them in chronological story order...or release order...or some other order?
2. Do you need to play the NES / SNES games?

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
Play them in the release order. Or if you just want to quickly prepare for Phantom Pain, play the Big Boss storyline.

Big Boss/Cold War: MGS3, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain

And the NES games are a butchered port followed by a sequel that's not canon. The real originals on the MSX, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, are packed in as extras with the MGS3 HD edition, so you're good to go. The very first Metal Gear is pretty dated and has a lot of obscure old-school adventure game type bullshit to figure out, but I personally think that MG2:SS is still pretty damn good, even though you might need to check an FAQ once or twice. Both games have pretty simple plots, so you can just read the plot synopsies on wikipedia if they don't click with you.

Have fun, I personally have pretty mixed opinions about the series. I think Metal Gear 2 and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (MGS1 remake) are awesome, and Metal Gear Solid 3 is one of my all time favourite games, if not THE favourite, while MGS and MGS2 are just okay and have a lot of issues. MGS4 and Peace Walker put me to sleep.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
The NES games are main series, the MSX ones are. The NES games are none-canon offshoots that Kojima had nothing to do with. They're also shit.

Personally, I think they're (the MSX games) are quite fun, but you wouldn't need to play them for plot reasons, the entire story is revealed throughout the rest of the games.

You're probably best playing the games in release order, but it's up to you, really. In terms of story, it makes the most sense played in release order but, personally, I don't think the story is really all that great. Still if you're looking for a definitive "play-order" release order is probably the best.

In terms of gameplay, I dunno what order I'd recommend. MGS3 represented a marked shift in style; MG1 through to MGS2 are all quite fast-paced, almost arcadey, takes on the stealth genre. MGS3's more open ended environments, the focus on camouflage (and thus, hiding in plain sight) and the added ability of guards to hear you when you run up behind them makes it a much slower and more complex game. Which you prefer will largely depend on you, but most people agree MGS3 was also a big improvement.

Some people would also recommend release order because of gameplay improvements but, personally, I thought MGS4's gameplay was just awful. Still, you might like it and since the game has 9 hours of cutscenes that barely make sense without having played the rest of the series, it probably should be the last you play before MGSV.

Also related, while I think MGS2 improved on MGS' mechanics beautifully, the level design is a *lot* worse. MGS2 is still worth playing because of how ahead of its time it was in some respects. For instance, enemies can see your shadow! I can't think of a single other stealth game that does that.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Jonsbax said:
Play them in the release order. Or if you just want to quickly prepare for Phantom Pain, play the Big Boss storyline.

Big Boss/Cold War: MGS3, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain

And the NES games are a butchered port followed by a sequel that's not canon. The real originals on the MSX, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, are packed in as extras with the MGS3 HD edition, so you're good to go. The very first Metal Gear is pretty dated and has a lot of obscure old-school adventure game type bullshit to figure out, but I personally think that MG2:SS is still pretty damn good, even though you might need to check an FAQ once or twice. Both games have pretty simple plots, so you can just read the plot synopsies on wikipedia if they don't click with you.

Have fun, I personally have pretty mixed opinions about the series. I think Metal Gear 2 and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (MGS1 remake) are awesome, and Metal Gear Solid 3 is one of my all time favourite games, if not THE favourite, while MGS and MGS2 are just okay and have a lot of issues. MGS4 and Peace Walker put me to sleep.
I don't know why they don't drop the coin to get the rights to Twin Snakes and release it.

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
I don't know why they don't drop the coin to get the rights to Twin Snakes and release it.
I've heard Kojima isn't that interested in the games in the series he hasn't been involved with, which is a shame because both Metal Gear Solid on GameBoyColor and Portable Ops on PSP had really interesting stories. Especially Portable Ops, while the gameplay was just as boring as MGS4 and Peace Walker, was storywise much more satisfying sequel to MGS3 than Peace Walker.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I played them chronologically once (before Ground Zeroes), it was a lot of fun. I'd recommend that.
So that's MGS3, PW, GZ, MG, MG2, MGS, MGS2, MGS4.
See you in a month!

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I think I'd say (at least with regard to the numbered entries in the series) probably play them in canonical order, so 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 1, 2: Sons of Liberty and 4: Guns of the Patriots. Certainly playing them in release order would mean you experience the evolution of the gameplay but I've played them in that order and I quite liked getting the story in order. Obviously if you want to play the other games as well, then do Portable Ops, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake in between 3 and 1.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
endtherapture said:
1. Do you play them in chronological story order...or release order...or some other order?
There's the games set in the 60's about Big Boss
They go: MGS 3, MGS peace walker, MGS 5 Ground zeroes, MGS 5 phantom pain

Then there's the ones based on Solid snake (Big boss' clone/son thing)
They go: Metal gear solid, MGS 2, MGS 4

I'd say play the whole of one of the characters sets of games before you move onto the next. Also play metal gear rising revengeance at some point as well its great if you like games like God of war or Devil may cry.

Muddy

Mar 5, 2014
I normally play them in chronological order.

MGS3
Portable Ops (only has a pseudo cannon I think?)
Peace Walker
GZ and Phantom Pain (when it comes out)
MG (MSX2 version, now available to the west thanks to HD collection)
MG2 (same as above, although some plot lines from these two game are glossed over )
MGS (I play the Twinsnakes version on Game Cube but I prefer the voice acting of the original PS1)
MGS2
MGS4

I don't really count Revengeance but is kinda fun

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Here's what I'd do: play MGS 1-3, Portable OPS if you have a PSP and stop there.
Frankly, everything past that point is a convoluted mess and only fucks with the established canon because Kojima felt like it.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
I'd recommend playing in order of release. The series has been around since the PS1 and it can be difficult going from newer game mechanics back to the basics. This way, your always getting refinements, instead of losing options.

e.g. In MGS1 using the sniper rifle automatically placed you in a prone position and changed to scope view, and you couldn't move. MGS2 automatically went to scope and rooted you to the spot, but you could do it from any stance. MGS3 automatically rooted you and went to first person view, and you chose when to use the scope yourself. MGS4 has sniper rifles be wielded like any other rifle, due to the more shooter-like controls.

Also, there are references to the earlier games as the series goes on, and those obviously won't be noticeable/make sense if you haven't played them.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
I suggest you simply buy which ever one is the most recent and ignore all the rest, since the story is ridiculous and incomprehensible anyway.

That said, MGS 3 was pretty good.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Alternatively,

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes
(To be released) Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain
Metal Gear (If you can get it, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
(And if you really liked Raiden) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

If you can handle the crazy as shit control scheme fluctuations, this may give you the best chance to understand the story first time through.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Leon Declis said:
Metal Gear (If you can get it, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes)
I've got a Gamecube but I guess the games are going to be quite rare now...so we will see, although I've just started playing MGS1 on my PS3 so yeah.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Play them in release order since the gameplay progresses in each installment and it is a bit tricky to go chronological order and having to readjust yourself with the controls. Plus some of the stuff that takes place before has spoilers for the other games.

No you don't have to play the original Metal Gear games since they are summarized in MGS1 and they will most likely be rebooted in the future.

Wait until the full MGS5 game comes out.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
If you are only interested on Phantom Pain, simply play Snake Eater and Peace Walker.

Otherwise, play them on release order (it's a bit jarring to play MGS2 after the awesomeness of MGS3), you can skip the old MG games included on the HD Collection (they're summarized on MGS1), also I highly recommend you to pick up Metal Gear Rising too, not very important storyline wise (if at all), but it's extremely fun :)

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Personally, it doesnt matter, the story is bullshit and overly complicated for no real reason. Just play whatever game you want. The gameplay is good, just dont worry about the overall story. If you are interested, then look online for it to make sense. Kojima sucks as a writer, i dont know if its just translation issues, but he sucks at communicating things. Love the games, just have zero interest in the story.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Haven't played all of them myself, but I do know that the story proceeds as follows:
MGS 3: Snake Eater
MGS Peace Walker
MGS Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain
MGS 1
MGS 2
MGS IV
MGR:Revengeance

If you want to get into the games, then I recommend Revegeance.

It is an unfair amount of fun, and it is mostly its own story, so the previous games don't influence its story as much, so its a good starting point.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Just play them in release order, you still get to experience the full story in the end regardless and unless you really enjoy your retro games, you can skip the very first two since MGS 1 recaps on that anyway.

Although playing in chronological order sounds pretty cool in theory, its best something you leave for after you've fully experienced every game in the series, because trust me, although the first two MGS games aged fairly well, that backwards jump from 3\Peace Walker to number 1 and 2 is pretty jarring.

Oh, and of course Revengeance is worthwhile too. Although storywise it doesn't add anything at all, its hella fun.