What PC sandbox games allow players to create and evil empire or destroy the world?

Y2N1-09631

Mar 11, 2015
I know some games let you run an evil empire, but none that are sandboxes. The closest game I've found to this is Minecraft, as you can raid others on PVP servers, but it's nigh impossible to create an actual empire or destroy much of the world, due to how vast and sparsely populated the world is.

Edit: first person games are prefered.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Well, Saints Row 2 and 3 are all about creating an evil gang empire, though a rather silly one. No world destruction in that though. You're also not really managing the empire you're building, you just kind of delegate all of that.

Wendman

Oct 21, 2014
Any Paradox game, what is the definition of evil for you? If it's genocide, war and misery Paradox is your friend.

Y2N1-09631

Mar 11, 2015
Wendman said:
Any Paradox game, what is the definition of evil for you? If it's genocide, war and misery Paradox is your friend.
Paradox has a lot of games and none of the ones I found are *sandbox games* that let you destroy the world. Could you point one out to me?

Wendman

Oct 21, 2014
Y2N1-09631 said:
Wendman said:
Paradox has a lot of games and none of the ones I found are *sandbox games* that let you destroy the world. Could you point one out to me?
Well the Paradox GSGs are sandbox games. And if you play as France and genocide everyone so that only French speaking people survive I would call it destroying the world ;)

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
The black and white games?

May be a bit dated and I've never played them so I can't attest to their actual quality, but I've heard good stuff.
Let's you play as a newly created god, choice of good or evil is up to you.

Overlord (to be exact, the 2007 game, there are multiple overlord named games) and overlord 2.

You are an evil overlord running around expanding your territory using minions. Personally I never finished this game because I just don't like the combat system, but a friend of mine got waaaaayy into this game, so I think it's a matter of taste.

Wendman said:
Well the Paradox GSGs are sandbox games. And if you play as France and genocide everyone so that only French speaking people survive I would call it destroying the world ;)
And since the French are totally evil, that makes it an evil sandbox.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
There exists mods for the last three Elder Scrolls games that let you do exactly this. Morrowind has a mod you can play as a Sixth House member, and even change into an Ascended Sleeper. Oblivion has mods that let you take down the Empire, and Skyrim has mods that let you become the King of Skyrim.

Fable 3 I believe lets you become King and you can be an evil king should you choose, even in the earlier games you could be evil and wield some power (Usually to the extent of being a tyrannical landlord though)

The REAL game you are looking for though? Mount & Blade: Warband. This sandbox game lets you become King of your own sovereign nation and it's up to you how you deal with things, you could go around burning villages to the ground, capturing enemy lords and never releasing them, sell your companions into slavery for a bit of gold, extort farmers for their goods, ransom women found in keeps you capture, and attack merchant caravans.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
It had no given ethics to it, but Master of Orion 2 let you quite literally destroy multiple worlds; all you needed was a stellar converter. You could colonize a tiny, virtually uninhabitable world and spend lots of time and effort terraforming it- or you could just gift it to an enemy empire, attack it, blow it away with a stellar converter, then rebuild the debris ring into something much easier to work with.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Not enough games have free form building sim aspects alongside their regular gameplay.

Level-5 seems to be the only ones that do that on a regular basis (Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle, White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2).

Two Worlds 2 had an interesting town mechanic for it's multiplayer mode, but it was a bit shallow and mostly just a chore to manage.

Really, I just like having games where I can mark my progress by how much of the world I've made my own - Down to it's very design. It's just fun, you know.

Y2N1-09631

Mar 11, 2015
Wendman said:
Y2N1-09631 said:
Wendman said:
Thanks for the suggestion. The problem with Paradox GSGs is that they don't really seem to let you do enough. For example, there doesn't seem to be a way to enslave entire other nations.

It would be great if there was a Minecraft "try to ruin everyone else's life" server...

Y2N1-09631

Mar 11, 2015
Mutant1988 said:
Not enough games have free form building sim aspects alongside their regular gameplay.

Level-5 seems to be the only ones that do that on a regular basis (Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle, White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2).

Two Worlds 2 had an interesting town mechanic for it's multiplayer mode, but it was a bit shallow and mostly just a chore to manage.

Really, I just like having games where I can mark my progress by how much of the world I've made my own - Down to it's very design. It's just fun, you know.
I think the issue I have with all these games is that they just aren't flexible enough. Are there any voxel sandbox games that allow for these evils?

esserin

Nov 10, 2014
There is a game that's not out yet called "That which sleeps." You play as a sleeping god. Your goal during the game is to gather the power to reawaken and conquer the world before they can unite against you. At the beginning of the game, nobody knows about you and, while building up your power, you have to manipulate the events to make sure that once you've awoken, it is too late and an era of darkness will begin!
The game is supposed to be like a "sauron-simulator." It had a successful kickstarter a couple months back.

Might be up your alley?

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
perhaps Alpha centauri?
you can set up your own political agenda and if you feel the need upset everyone by using chemical weapons or just exterminating a city you have just conquered.

it is a hell of a power trip seeing a little window pop up saying
'90,000 citizens were put to death'

then of course the other factions get in touch and tell you how much of a monster you are.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
While you can't actually destroy the world in Mount and Blade Warband, you can take it over and be a pretty monstrous jackass in the process. Join a King, help them until you're powerful, then stab them in the back. Loot and pillage villages to cripple your opponent's economies while also making off with food and supplies for selling.

If you want to, you can mercilessly cut down peaceful farmers of the enemy nations and raid their caravans as well. Even better, elope with some random daughter and then take her father/brother prisoner, throw him in your dungeon, and never accept a ransom fee. Do this with all enemy lords and soon you'll have half the country's lords wasting away in your castle while everyone's opinion of you plummets. Who cares what they think though? It's time to go slaughter all of their cattle!

I should note that doing the above isn't particularly easy and will require a good 100 hours of play time before you're ready to start doing that kind of stuff. It's a lot harder to be evil from the beginning since all of the enemy lords are going to have more powerful armies than you. However, if you can manage to plunder a lot of villages, you'll soon find that you have a rather large amount of money so going rogue right away is certainly doable.

False Messiah

Afflicted with DDDS
Jan 29, 2009
You can try Factorio. You infiltrate a peaceful alien world and build huge factories that consume all of the natural resources and create pollution. And when the natives try to sabotage your world raping mechanical monstrosities you create weapons, laser turrets and tanks to fight them back in submission.

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
Evil Genius comes to mind. I've never played it myself, but I heard it's a management/strategy type of game where you're some cartoonish evil villian running some kind of HQ to do a bunch of evil stuff. It's not very well know but it seems like a good time and it might be what you're looking for.

Y2N1-09631

Mar 11, 2015
esserin said:
There is a game that's not out yet called "That which sleeps." You play as a sleeping god. Your goal during the game is to gather the power to reawaken and conquer the world before they can unite against you. At the beginning of the game, nobody knows about you and, while building up your power, you have to manipulate the events to make sure that once you've awoken, it is too late and an era of darkness will begin!
The game is supposed to be like a "sauron-simulator." It had a successful kickstarter a couple months back.

Might be up your alley?
Yes, the game looks great. Thanks. Too bad it's not first-person or out yet...

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
Evil Genius is a great game and everything but it only has a map of the world for you to plan and send your minions to do stuff like steal and spy and this is never actually seen. The game's focus is rather on building your lair and defending it from agents looking to attack and sabotage. The traps and stuff are amusing but no graphic world destroying as far as I remember... It's real hard though, I never got very far.

... Total War games come to mind though I've never played any, Sim City games allow you to destroy it once you get bored with a series of disasters and the last one I can think of would be Black and White.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
carlsberg export said:
perhaps Alpha centauri?
you can set up your own political agenda and if you feel the need upset everyone by using chemical weapons or just exterminating a city you have just conquered.

it is a hell of a power trip seeing a little window pop up saying
'90,000 citizens were put to death'

then of course the other factions get in touch and tell you how much of a monster you are.
Then you rush them all with mind worms. EAT BRAIN PARASITES SCUM!