What physical features/defects/scars/etc. do you think make you unique as a person?

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I suppose what I'm trying to communicate in the thread title is that many of us have physical imperfections which might normally be viewed as something negative. However, I believe that these imperfections are something to be accepted and made into something positive. I am making this thread as someone born with a bilateral cleft lip and palate (essentially no upper lip at all) who at times takes a ride on the self-pity train due to the fact that despite many, many surgeries, I still look a good deal different from my peers.

All of these surgeries have left a multitude of scars on my body that will be there for the rest of my life. Rather than paint these scars as ugly, though, I'd rather think of them as making me unique in a world of interesting and diverse people.

One of my scars is located on my right hip, where bone was taken to use to fill gaps in my upper jaw caused by the whole cleft lip/palate issue. I've also recently gained a smaller scar on my left hip from a similar surgery. I also have scars behind both of my ears. One is small and is there because skin behind my ear was used as a substitute of sorts for the skin that should have been my upper lip (this has since been fixed by another surgery a year ago but there are now two distinct scars on my upper lip as well). The other ear scar is behind my right ear and seems to be quite large, even if I can't see it. I also have a small scar on my forehead unrelated to any surgery, gained when I was 3 or so years old by running into a chain link fence...for some reason.

Anyways, what I would like to know is: what physical imperfections do you all have that you try to turn into something that defines you? It could be something small from a small scar to a condition that has affected you for a long period of time. Or just defining features, I suppose. I guess I just took the "scars and defects" route. But feel free to just describe a unique feature if you can't think of anything else!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
unique?...well no one is truly unique

mbaye the fact that I'm a young female and have a very plain hair colur....but I wont dye it because I dont want to have to deal with the up-keep

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I get told quite often that I have really pretty hair. Not a physical imperfection but it dose get kind of annoying when I answer the question "how do you get your hair like that" with "I don't know generic shampoo" for the 50Th time.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I have this weird scar thing on the lower left part of my back. I've had it for pretty much all my life and neither me nor my family knows what it is. The doctors say it's nothing bad though, so it's fine.

I don't really think it makes me unique as a person, as it's easily covered by my clothes and I forget it's even there most of the time.

What does make me unique is the fact that I'm a twin. Almost every time I go somewhere with my brother, someone notices us and asks, "are you two twins"? I honestly don't see the big deal personally. But I guess if you don't have a twin or hell, even a sibling, seeing people like my brother and I would be probably be something out of the ordinary.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I am told I have pretty eyes. One guy told me I have "very honest eyes". I responded with "that's how you know I am a good liar". I also have a scar in the shape of Nike's/Victoria's wing on my left wrist. That is right; I have a symbol of victory on my wrist.

Vault101 said:
That is quite arguable. Then again it depends on how detailed you want to get, but that is true for any comparison.

Clinky

Jan 5, 2012
While wether it is 'negative' is really a matter of opinion/my confidence/etc. but I do try to keep some pride in my face as a whole.

You see I take a lot after my Dad in the facial department, first word out of just about anyone's mouth when they see a picture of my dad is 'You look like your Dad'. I consider this a point of pride. You see my dad died before I was born while he was trying to save some people in a car accident. I kind of like to think of my similarity to him as a way to keep his memory alive and to 'pay forward' what he did in a sense by continuing to help others whenever I can.

Another is the stretch marks I've developed on my stomach, ones that will likely still be there after I drop all my weight. Rather than viewing them as ugly I try to think of them as 'battle scars', rather than a bad momento of my chubbiness I want to view them as proof to myself and others that I can overcome something.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
crudus said:
I am told I have pretty eyes. One guy told me I have "very honest eyes". I responded with "that's how you know I am a good liar". I also have a scar in the shape of Nike's/Victoria's wing on my left wrist. That is right; I have a symbol of victory on my wrist.

Vault101 said:
That is quite arguable. Then again it depends on how detailed you want to get, but that is true for any comparison.
well techicnally we are unique because in a hypothetical situation if a "different" sperm hit that egg then it wouldnt be "me" would it?..or would it?

my point is there is always somone like us...thats not a bad thing, almost comforting

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
usmarine4160 said:
My cutie mark on my right butt cheek. It's in the shape of a piece of shrapnel that came through the bottom of the HMMWV :p
So your special talent is being hit by shrapnel?

Somewhat jelly

I have...nothing really. My scars are somewhat well hidden. Otherwise im just your average generic guy.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Me? well...
I'm quite frankly insane, but rather intelligent. Sure, there's other smart crazy people, but that's the thing about insanity, we're all mad in our own ways, like pretty, occasionally violent snowflakes.

That, and I'm about one of the most hideous sites on this earth. I read HP lovecraft for the possibility of there being something more horrifying than me. I've strayed so far from human norm now, that I wonder whether I can even truly be called someone, or if "something" is more appropriate.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
I have a birth mark on my leg that I used to think was ugly, but now I barely notice it, and wouldn't want to get rid of it. Also, I have a scar that runs up from my lip to near my nose, not very noticeable though, as I usually have stubble or a full on beard.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
One of my eyes is higher up than the other one. Btu since they're still in line with each other, if you understand what I mean, so it's not noticeable.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Vault101 said:
Everyone is unique. Nobody is special.

Doclector said:
I seriously hope that's a satirical post.

OT: Nothing, really. The strangest thing is that I've got something like a lump of bone or something that sticks a bit more outward than the rest of my chest. It's still under my skin, and you can't see it, but when people ever touch it they freak the fuck out.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
i have this cool scar on my right eyebrow, which makes it look like i shave that bit on purpose, just to look cool

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Several scars on my left wrist (NO, NOT FROM SELF HARM!)

Cat scratches actually...

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
I have extremely varying hair colour, from bright brown in winter to almost white in summer, so light actually that people often "accused" me of dyeing them.

Super-sensitive skin and eyes. No matter how much time I spend outside, I can never get really used to sunlight, and as much as I'd like to actually be out in the sun, I can barely spend an hour outside any shade. On the plus side, my eyesa appear to be fast enough to see the flickering of a PWM-dimmed LED, like those in newer car backlights. Admittedly, it's not 100% positive, because this flickering is extremely annoying while driving. I wonder why they didn't just put weaker LEDs in those lights.

Also, a hyperactive liver, apparently. It's really difficult for me to get extremely drunk. I'd have to drink a bottle of whiskey in less than an hour to even approach what people would call "totally drunk".

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Loads, i could show a any picture of myself and immediately be recognized from it. The years have been not much kinder than genetics.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I've two birthmarks, one on each side of my waist. One is much lighter than my skin and the other is much darker.