What restores your faith in humanity?

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
I always hear people talking about how they dont want to live on this planet any more, or their faith in humanity has been ruined by something. So I want to know. What makes you happy, cheers you up, or restores your faith in humanity?

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
When I remember that there are test subjects in Africa who don't even have monitors in their test chambers. That, and my incredible homemade pizza. People ask lots of questions while I'm making it, afterward they only ask if they can have more.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Every now and then I read something or hear something that makes me smile. It can be something small like a cute picture of a puppy, to something medium like finding an onion ring in my fry bag at Burger King, or something big like an inspirational story.

I know that last category is few and far between all those stories you hear about someone stabbing their spouse over facebook or a teenager killing a cabbie because of GTA, but it happens.

One I remember was...I forget how long ago. But a little girl was being bullied in school because she loved Star Wars. Her mom went online to tell people about it and the internet exploded in a wave of support for that little girl. Google it if you'd like to read more, but stuff like that is what reminds me that not everyone is horrible.

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
Strain42 said:
One I remember was...I forget how long ago. But a little girl was being bullied in school because she loved Star Wars. Her mom went online to tell people about it and the internet exploded in a wave of support for that little girl. Google it if you'd like to read more, but stuff like that is what reminds me that not everyone is horrible.
Oh yeah! I remember that. That was definately one for me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
That Saturdays bring me joy and happiness in Doctor Who, makes me very happy!

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
Murray Whitwell said:
Going a few days without seeing threads like these
ZING!

People who make these topics and genuinely take them seriously really need to get over themselves. Bad things happen in the world, it doesn't make the whole world bad just because one guy kicked a puppy or one person murdered a family, etc. That makes that particular person bad not the entire world, it would be like judging an entire nation because a few nutjobs decided to do something crazy like crash a plane into a building or protest someone's funeral. Logic like that quickly falls apart.

As for me all the good things that happen in the world are what give me hope for humanity. Charities in the world that help people less fortunate, a smile or a kind word from one person to another, mundane every day little things are enough for me.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
MY little pony and Nintendo. Oh and the Marvel films. not really the comics right now, sadly -_-

Logiclul

Sep 18, 2011
When I see someone who is truly intelligent. Such attributes are lacking in my part of the world, and it warms me to see it.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Ironically... My Little Pony FiM...

At first sceptical and cynical of it all looking on in bedazzlement and wondering what the fuck it was all about.

Then a month ago I started having suicidal thoughts(not related to mlp) and then was absorbed into the system to try and help via psychiatry and if that doesn't work then drugs...

Well 2 people in a thread said they were both suicidal and then they watched mlp and... improved... a lot.

I followed and now... I'm still a mentally ruined 17 year old having lived his life under family circumstances to warrant suicidal thoughts but watching (I'm up to e12 I think) has taken it off of my immediate mind and sorta put the thoughts away.

Looking at it the show has a very very very positive message and tolerant message and if little children are watching that while growing up then maybe if the human race survives long enough we'll be fine not having our next generation grow up to be like Glen Beck... as the current generation of up comers is ok but not enough by far...

Murray Whitwell

Apr 7, 2010
That_Sneaky_Camper said:
Murray Whitwell said:
Going a few days without seeing threads like these
ZING!

People who make these topics really need to get over themselves. Bad things happen in the world, it doesn't make the whole world bad just because one guy kicked a puppy or one person murdered a family, etc. That makes that particular person bad not the entire world, it would be like judging an entire nation because a few nutjobs decided to do something crazy like crash a plane into a building or protest someone's funeral. Logic like that quickly falls apart.

As for me all the good things that happen in the world are what give me hope for humanity. Charities in the world that help people less fortunate, a smile or a kind word from one person to another, mundane every day little things are enough for me.
Ironically, this narcissistic desire to look past our flaws and revel in the best of mankind instead of actually facing up to our problems and constructively improving ourselves only serves to make me lose more faith in humanity.

Matt-the-twat

Sep 13, 2009
I don't 'lose' my faith in humanity. I find that people who claim they do need to get a better grip on reality and to stop being so fickle.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Stories of people doing nice things for each other. Yeah, I know I shouldn't loose faith in humanity because some people do stupid things (though is sure is fun to point and laugh at the stupid ones)... but I can't help but be aware of what people are capable of...

Lupine Volt

Apr 10, 2011
I generally get mine topped off Monday morning, that's when it's cheapest for the whole week.

In all honesty, just seeing people living their lives. Good people, people who don't think twice about doing the right thing.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
There are a pair of sand cranes that live in my sub division, they have lived their for years, they stay with the same mate for life, and at one point they had a kid, who grew up and flew away, (we assume, he was almost as big as the parents last time it was seen) a week ago, I saw them actually dancing in the rain, they would pick a worm out of the ground, fling it into the air, and jump at least 9 feet into the air to grab it, while spinning, it might not have actually been dancing but it made me smile, it's the little things that I appreciate

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I don't lose or restore 'faith' in humanity as I don't have 'faith' in anything to begin with as I deem 'faith' an illogical concept. If you're asking me to chime out something positive about our feats and accomplishments as a species, I will say I'm rather impressed by our technological developments through the course of history, particularly the speedy progression from the beginning of the 20th century to now.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
Yeah, I know I shouldn't loose faith in humanity because some people do stupid things (though is sure is fun to point and laugh at the stupid ones)... but I can't help but be aware of what people are capable of...
People doing stupid things is fine so long as it takes them out of the gene pool :p
Like a Brazilian couple could who pulled up in the slow lane on a motorway to have sex and were killed by an on-coming lorry.

The people who have power doing stupid things however... thats the logical thing that is fine to be effected by.

DrunkPickle

Sep 16, 2011
Haha, if you heard someone on the forums saying that, it was probably me.

To answer the question: I guess it's just the simple acts of usage of "common sense" (which isn't so common nowadays). I really respect the kind of people who are willing to sacrifice their own person success (good job, nice house, large salary etc.), for helping others; Specifically the corporations serving the poor people in Africa. I hope someday I'll find the guts to volunteer for such a cause.

Also, have you ever heard of the "Plant A Billion Trees" campaign? Well, the name pretty much explains it. It's a movement to restore a portion of the Atlantic Forest in Brazil which would help to remove some of the carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. You might say, "Global Warming isn't real anyways- it's called Climate Change". Well, it's not an excuse. While Global Warming MAY be a myth, Pollution IS real, and planting those trees can only improve the health of our environment. So, (and I really don't want to sound like a spokesperson for the campaign) feel free to donate to the organization, a tree costs only a single dollar to plant and (this might sounds corny) you'll feel great afterwards.

The site is "www.plantabillion.org" btw.