What RPG should I Purchase?

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Wyatt118 said:
So my friends at the escapist, recommend me a great rpg for Xbox 360 to purchase. No JRPG's.I have Morrowind, Oblivion ,Fallout 3, and New Vegas.
Mass Effect, then Mass Effect 2. That will last you until Skyrim and Witcher 2! Then you can grab Mass Effect 3!!!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I wish I could break your rule to tell you go get Persona, but you dont have a PS2, so I cant help you.

mmm.... DA: O? Yeah, that was pretty good. DA2 was pretty good, at least It hought so.

escapistrules

Nov 25, 2009
hmmm... dragon age origins, fable 2, fable 3, dragon age 2 in that order. i like them all but origins holds a good place in my heart, and fable 2 has alot of inside jokes i have with my friends.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, I recommend Borderlands to anyone.

And Dragon Age: Origins is my favorite Bioware RPG.
My recommendation got ninja'd (well played Onyx Oblivion) but I'd like to add something that it took me awhile to realize about the game (I honestly knew nothing about it but found it for $10 and asked my friend if it was any good. He couldn't believe it was ten bucks!) which is that is has OUTSTANDING co-op. Seriously. I was able to make my very first Meditank! Also, by playing co-op you get better treasure I've been told. I haven't been able to confirm that beyond the fact that comparing gear at the same point we are in our co-op game our co-op game has given us more alien weapons.

Pwny Express

Aug 9, 2010
Borderlands is pretty awesome. I know you said no JRPGs, but Lost Oddysey is pretty frackin' good. I've been playing it lately, because I'm tired of games that have to do with either guns or first person elements (I.E borderlands, FO3/NV, TESIV:Oblivion, etc). I'd really say give Lost Oddysey a try. Its quite intense. Pretty emotional, too.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
I wish I could break your rule to tell you go get Person, but you dont have a PS2, so I cant help you.

mmm.... DA: O? Yeah, that was pretty good. DA2 was pretty good, at least It hought so.
DA 2 is the demon spawn of Bioware! j/k but not really (my opinion)... Agree on Persona 100% though.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
Dear People of The Escapist. You must learn more about the great series of RPG's called Gothic!

So to you my dear OP. I shall recommend buying Gothic 1 and 2 (3 if you truly like the first two, and 4 if you feel brave.)

Javarock

Feb 11, 2011
VanTesla said:
emeraldrafael said:
I wish I could break your rule to tell you go get Person, but you dont have a PS2, so I cant help you.

DA 2 is the demon spawn of Bioware! j/k but not really (my opinion)... Agree on Persona 100% though.
Isn't persona a Jrpg though?...

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
razor343 said:
Dear People of The Escapist. You must learn more about the great series of RPG's called Gothic!

So to you my dear OP. I shall recommend buying Gothic 1 and 2 (3 if you truly like the first two, and 4 if you feel brave.)
He looking for RPGs on the 360. Noble suggestion, though.

Havzad

Oct 9, 2010
the upcoming Lord of the rings :war of the north looks amazing i suggest you get it.
i remember handing an rpg called "the bards tale" he said it was good. although its somewhat old, 2004 i think.

EDIT: also two worlds 1/2 are possible options. though i haven't tried them and the ratings aren't past 7/10

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
Dr. wonderful said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Go retro and pick up a couple of Xbox 1 games. Knights of the Old Republic, Fable the Lost Chapters, there is a bunch of good RPGs that you can still play.

But avoid KOTOR2 on consoles. It is only worth playing if you have the pc version with the restoration mod.
Fable: TLC I thought was PC only.

Anyway, Go with this guy list, he cleary thinking with portals.
Lost Chapters got re-released as a Platinum Hits version on Xbox as well, which I picked up despite already owning the PC version as using a mouse and keyboard for hack n' slash action combat was a bit odd.

One 360 RPG that hasn't been mentioned yet. Now, as a word of caution, depending on what it is you like about RPGs, I would say despite the somewhat mediocre press, Alpha Protocol can actually be pretty fun.

The action is a bit clunkier than average, but if you like Role-Playing choice/consequence and character stat building, it's got a lot more to it in that area than most on the 360. Still not quite a 'great' game, but I've still enjoyed it a good bit after picking it up for about $20.

Also, to quote a post I made a while ago on Gametrailers, contrary to popular belief among critics, the pistol is a stealth weapon, and a very powerful one at that. You just have to use it properly.

Gametrailers Quote (spoiler tagged to reduce spam. Not an actual spoiler. Click for more details about pistols.):
KelsieKatt (Gametrailers) said:
All these reviewers who keep claiming that Pistols are useless don't seem to have read the instruction manual, Skill Tree screen, or looked over the attachments you can buy for Pistols.

It's a stealth weapon people... and can be the most accurate gun in the entire game if you invest points into it and learn how to use it.

You can pretty much take out every enemy in the game with single head shots with it (you're supposed to let the mini-crosshair line up before firing, although you can't aim critical hits until you invest 2 points minimum) and the special ability freezes time so you can lock headshots onto several enemies at once and then carries out each one instantly afterwards, kind of like Splinter Cell: Conviction.

On top of that you also gain the ability to pull off perfect head shots while blind-firing (yes, I'm not kidding, blind firing. As in you don't even have to stick your head out to take the shot, and by the end of the game headshots line up almost instantaneously) after you invest enough points in and the max range you can do this at is 40 freaking meters, and you can attach scopes to your pistol on top of that.

Trying to run and gun with it is just pointless though, that's what the Shotgun and Submachine Guns are for.

So yeah, anyway, I'd recommend giving it a shot if you don't mind putting up with some slightly clunky action and enjoy Role-Playing depth. Although, you may want to either give it a rent first if you can't find it for cheap (shouldn't be too hard to find on sale though, it's been out for a while.)

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Javarock said:
VanTesla said:
emeraldrafael said:

Isn't persona a Jrpg though?...
Yes, but it's more westernized than basically all other JRPG. Persona 4 does not have the asinine regular stereotypes of other JRPG, only thing that may make you think it's one is the opening music and cover intro, but the story and cast are down to earth humanized with great voice cast, it actually has some real japanese history in it (but it's not in your face), it's also can be very funny.

I suggest if all else to watch the playthrough commentary at giantbomb.com in the Edurance Run. Don't read player comments though (they spoil story alot...).

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
DustyDrB said:
razor343 said:

He looking for RPGs on the 360. Noble suggestion, though.
He should still buy the games and beat his 360 until it can run them.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Skyrim. You might have to wait a bit, though.

[sub]Oh, yeah, also DA:O and ME like everyone else is saying.[/sub]

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
there's also Dragon Age II if you don't want to put up with the deluge of tedium Origins inundates you with