What 's the meaning behind your name?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
"Lorenz" is the Germanized form of the Latin name Laurentius. I was thusly named after Holy Laurentius of Rome, a Christian martyr from the 3rd century. After dividing the wealth of his church among the members of the parish, presenting the sick and the poor to Caesar Valerian as the 'true wealth of the church' and being particularly smug abut it, said Caesar sentenced Laurentius to death by barbeque. No, not the kind where you eat until you literally bite off more than you can chew, but the kind where your body takes the place of ribs and burger patties on the grill.

Downfall89

Aug 26, 2009
Supplanter. It is hebrew, it derives from the Hebrew name for Jacob. (which is like yakov or something)

The name is James. In English. As for my Greek name Dimitri, it means ' of Demeter', the Greek goddess of the harvest.

Grimlock Fett

Apr 14, 2010
"Lover of horses"
&
"One who lives near a marsh (wet ground)"

Friend at school called me horse piss... bad times!

Mr_spamamam

Mar 4, 2009
Christopher is apparnetly a metaphorical name, expressing that the person carrys Christ in their heart. Comes from early christians

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
Felicity: originally Latin, its literal meaning is "happiness"
And my last name is Elvis. I never asked for it! But apparently it has a meaning too; in Old English it meant "of the elves" obviously my dad's family must have been a little creepy...

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
'Jason' is a Greek name and it means 'Healer'. I am not sure if I grew into the name or vice versa.

As for my surname. I have no idea.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
According to the Wiktionary, "Colin" is a diminutive on "Colle", a french/medieval short form for Nicholas, meaning "Victorious people."

It can also be an Anglicized form of the Gaelic name "Cailean" or "Coileain", meaning "whelp", "cub", or "Young pup".

I like the former better. Infact, I think I'll change my name to Nick if I get the chance.

MrFluffy-X

Jun 24, 2009
well i have the same name and birthday of jan-michael vincent...think my parents were big fans...so im name means "air wolf"....

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Firstly, my name is impossible for English speakers to pronounce, or so I noticed.

It's Freek, pronounced as Fr-ake, as in lake, or cake.
Though it's the short version of Frederick.
And it means something along the lines of; peaceful, powerful leader.

Nansen

Sep 29, 2009
"Nanna" is a Nordic name, meaning brave. Nanna is also the wife of Balder in Norse mythology. and, err, it's a common term for grandmother outside Scandinavia .__.

Jovlo

May 12, 2008
My first name 'Joris' is the Dutch equivalent of George.
It comes from the greek word georgos, which means farmer.
Funny thing is that I'm graduating this year as an agricultural engineer.

Grahwo

Sep 23, 2008
Surname:
It means : Grave Home or Dead home.. (reference to the black plague)

First name does not really mean anything.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
My first name is Nikko, which in Japanese, translates to "sunlight" or "enlightenment from Buddha."

While I don't want to disclose my full name, I do find it funny that my first name is Japanese, my middle name is Italian, and my last name is German. When have I seen those three together before....?

ENKC

May 3, 2010
'Ian' is a Scottish (Celtic) variation of 'John'. Nothing too exciting for me.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
My name is Edward and it means 'Wealthy Guardian', which doesn't make sense because a) I'm not rich and b) I'm a coward.