What?s What in Captain America

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
What?s What in Captain America

Did you spot all of Captain America's nods to its comic book counterpart?

Read Full Article

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
The only thing I missed was the 'human torch bit', but admittedly I was starting at the costume going wtf is that? and never read the plaque, would've known if I had just looked elsewhere :p

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
I'm told 'Union Jack' had some not-so-subtle grenade bandoliers in the shape of the Union Jack flag; is this really the case?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
IndianaJonny said:
I'm told 'Union Jack' had some not-so-subtle grenade bandoliers in the shape of the Union Jack flag; is this really the case?
I haven't watched the movies, so I don't know about the movie version.

I know in the comics, he just has a giant Union Jack suit.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Hey, Bob, if you find yourself without an Intermission topic at some point in the immediate future, do you think you could do another "fanboy-free breakdown" for Cap? Like, show why you think this is an objectively good movie, in the same way you showed how GL and Transformers were objectively bad? Just a thought.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Here's a possible connection I just thought of....

"That thing in your chest is based on unfinished technology. Howard said the Arc Reactor was a stepping stone to something greater. He was about to kick off an energy race that was going to dwarf the arms race. He was onto something big. Something so big that it was going to make the nuclear reactor look like a tripple-A battery."
~Nick Fury. Iron Man 2

Could that "new element" from Iron Man 2 be a...Tesseract? Did Tony make a cosmic triangle?

Since Howard Stark found the cosmic cube, he had an opportunity to study it. Perhaps he wanted to put HYDRA's techniques to shame and actually duplicate the Tesseract. He discovered how, but couldn't pull it off, so he left clues for his son and hoped that technology was capable of synthesizing it one day.

Disclaimer: I have not read the comics. If the element is already named, I am simply ignorant of the fact.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
AWESOME, awesome movie. You were right, Bob. Loved it! Especially the hints they were throwing at as. You know, this has given me hope for the Avengers film. Way to go Captain America.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
THAT WAS UNION JACK!?!?!?

That just made the movie so much better!!!!

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Sadly, I WAS the only person in MY theater who gasped... Damn Hammond deserves some props. Him and Namor had all sorts of badass interactions...

hotsauceman

Jun 23, 2011
thehorror2 said:
Hey, Bob, if you find yourself without an Intermission topic at some point in the immediate future, do you think you could do another "fanboy-free breakdown" for Cap? Like, show why you think this is an objectively good movie, in the same way you showed how GL and Transformers were objectively bad? Just a thought.
Fan-boy free breakdown is for bad movies that people feel the reviewers who where fan and waiting hated for not possibly being enough like the original.

jVictor

Mar 23, 2010
Saw it, loved it, can't wait for Avengers. And I knew the suit in the glass cylinder was important but I just couldn't place my finger on it. I think it was the only comic book reference I missed.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
I caught the reference - I just wasn't sure if it was original Torch or Machine Man.

trust Milo

May 23, 2009
I read that originally cameos were written in for Wolverine and Magneto since they were both around during WW2, but they couldn't do that because they didn't own the characters.

I'm not going to deny, I cried a little on the inside when I read that.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
I can't believe I missed the Human Torch reference. Sat there for a minute trying to figure out what that was, but got pulled along with the story.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
hotsauceman said:
thehorror2 said:
Fan-boy free breakdown is for bad movies that people feel the reviewers who where fan and waiting hated for not possibly being enough like the original.
The original posts, yes, but he (and reviewers like him) have taken heat for being fanboyish about good movies, too. It might be a good thing for him to break down exactly what makes this movie a GOOD MOVIE, and not just a bunch of blindingly-cool cameos to make fans forget the flaws.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
BOO-YA! Human Torch! I called that! My dad and me were discussing who that could be, he thought it looked like Captain Marvel's costume. Hopefully this means we'll see Namor before too long in the Cap movies.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Blueruler182 said:
BOO-YA! Human Torch! I called that! My dad and me were discussing who that could be, he thought it looked like Captain Marvel's costume. Hopefully this means we'll see Namor before too long in the Cap movies.
Maybe, maybe not. Fox has a pretty good claim on him as "The First Mutant" (he's not, but he was the first in comics) and his frequent involvement as an antagonist for the Fantastic Four.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I like the name "Phineas", for some reason. Don't hear it very often.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
The BIG thing I noticed was Howard Stark. The one thing I didn't notice at all was The Human Torch reference!