What?s What in Captain America

JSF01

Jan 19, 2011
Moviebob you made one mistake in the artical the shield tony stark had would not have been the prototype as the shield captain america had was the prototype and built from all the vibranium there was at least at the time. It would more likly be howard stark was trying to build a new captain america's sheild for a new potential captain america, but was not completed as he could not get any more vibranium.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
So seventy years later and his son is in his what, late 20s/early 30s? The funny thing is that his father was Howard Jr and his grandfather was also a Howard Stark so I just assumed that they meant his grandfather.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Orekoya said:
So seventy years later and his son is in his what, late 20s/early 30s? The funny thing is that his father was Howard Jr and his grandfather was also a Howard Stark so I just assumed that they meant his grandfather.
If the actor's age is any indication...mid 40s

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
I'm so glad I was not the only one who saw the Human Torch, maybe a Submariner cameo in The Avengers? :D

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
starwarsgeek said:
Orekoya said:
Sorry that's still not enough of an explanation since that would still make the Howard Stark of the film in his late 50s. Plus the actor's age is hardly the indication anyways because he was going for a younger man than that.

EDIT: While Human Torch is the obvious reference of the Synthetic Man, I'm kinda surprised he didn't bring up Vision.

xNightxSpawnx

Aug 30, 2010
I was kinda wishing the movie was gonna make some reference to The Invaders or The All-Winners Squad. Oh well. I hope if/when they make a sequel to this movie after the Avengers we get some flashbacks to him fighting with them in WW2. Also you forgot to mention even thought it is only a small node to the other movies how the circular batteries that the HYDRA were using to power their machines slightly resemble Arch-Reactors.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
WolfThomas said:
Blueruler182 said:
BOO-YA! Human Torch! I called that! My dad and me were discussing who that could be, he thought it looked like Captain Marvel's costume. Hopefully this means we'll see Namor before too long in the Cap movies.
Maybe, maybe not. Fox has a pretty good claim on him as "The First Mutant" (he's not, but he was the first in comics) and his frequent involvement as an antagonist for the Fantastic Four.
Marvel's already put an easter egg in Iron Man 2 for Atlantis, so I'm pretty sure Marvel has the rights. And I think Fox's contract coverse specific mutants, because I've heard speak of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch maybe showing up in the Avengers down the road. You can't crush my hope, damn it!

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Blueruler182 said:
Marvel's already put an easter egg in Iron Man 2 for Atlantis, so I'm pretty sure Marvel has the rights. And I think Fox's contract coverse specific mutants, because I've heard speak of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch maybe showing up in the Avengers down the road. You can't crush my hope, damn it!
Yeah it's never been particulary clear how much each company has, so until Namor appears in either film we won't know. I hope they don't make him an Avenger though, but a WW2 film with the Invaders would be awesome. As for Scarlet Witch and Quicksliver, Marvel probably could put them in, but without the Magneto connection or mutant explanation they'd be hard to explain.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
WolfThomas said:
Blueruler182 said:
Yeah it's never been particulary clear how much each company has, so until Namor appears in either film we won't know. I hope they don't make him an Avenger though, but a WW2 film with the Invaders would be awesome. As for Scarlet Witch and Quicksliver, Marvel probably could put them in, but without the Magneto connection or mutant explanation they'd be hard to explain.
Namor, his story, I doubt he'd be directly an Avenger, but Atlantas could definitely be involved. Some Invaders action would be pretty cool, too, and I hear they are going to do more WWII stories in future Cap movies, so fingers crossed. And with the whole mutant thing... I doubt it'll be too much of an issue. I mean, it's a plot device. Heroes got away with saying the super people evolved, I don't think Marvel will get in shit for it, and Mutant is a word used for any number of things. I doubt Marvel could have sold the rights for it if they wanted to. And even then, the world that hates and fears them, again, has been used repeatedly in the past by other companies, even if they don't use those words. Magneto's involvement might be a little harder to cover up, but I wouldn't say impossible, the kids have made names of themselves without him. Just being a pair of super powered misfits would probably be enough.

And if Fox does get uppity about Mutants being used somewhere else, it'll be interesting who's lawyers are better, theirs or Disney's.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Blueruler182 said:
Namor, his story, I doubt he'd be directly an Avenger, but Atlantas could definitely be involved. Some Invaders action would be pretty cool, too, and I hear they are going to do more WWII stories in future Cap movies, so fingers crossed. And with the whole mutant thing... I doubt it'll be too much of an issue. I mean, it's a plot device. Heroes got away with saying the super people evolved, I don't think Marvel will get in shit for it, and Mutant is a word used for any number of things. I doubt Marvel could have sold the rights for it if they wanted to. And even then, the world that hates and fears them, again, has been used repeatedly in the past by other companies, even if they don't use those words. Magneto's involvement might be a little harder to cover up, but I wouldn't say impossible, the kids have made names of themselves without him. Just being a pair of super powered misfits would probably be enough.

And if Fox does get uppity about Mutants being used somewhere else, it'll be interesting who's lawyers are better, theirs or Disney's.
I think the best way to introduce those two would be the "less is more" approach, instead of making up any new origins or dealing with the concept of mutants (which in itself might derail the avengers), I'd kept them strictly in a role like Hawkeye or Scarlet Widow, appearing without much backstory. If pushed I'd call them "former superhuman terrorists who've joined under an amnesty", all true but uncomplicated.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
WolfThomas said:
Blueruler182 said:

I think the best way to introduce those two would be the "less is more" approach, instead of making up any new origins or dealing with the concept of mutants (which in itself might derail the avengers), I'd kept them strictly in a role like Hawkeye or Scarlet Widow, appearing without much backstory. If pushed I'd call them "former superhuman terrorists who've joined under an amnesty", all true but uncomplicated.
I was thinking the same thing. I mean, these two aren't going to come around until at earliest the third movie, so they could probably get away with doing an origin story once they get the X-Men back... Which will hopefully be soon.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Whew, glad I waited the week to see Captain America before pulling up this article.

Orekoya said:
starwarsgeek said:
Orekoya said:
Sorry that's still not enough of an explanation since that would still make the Howard Stark of the film in his late 50s. Plus the actor's age is hardly the indication anyways because he was going for a younger man than that.
Seeing as Howard Stark is clearly a hybrid of Howard Hughes and Walt Disney (with a touch of complete genius), I would venture to say that he is in his late twenties to early thirties in the movies. This would also correspond to the ages depicted in Iron Man 2 of both him and his son (see uncut film real that Tony watches under guard).
starwarsgeek said:
Here's a possible connection I just thought of....

"That thing in your chest is based on unfinished technology. Howard said the Arc Reactor was a stepping stone to something greater. He was about to kick off an energy race that was going to dwarf the arms race. He was onto something big. Something so big that it was going to make the nuclear reactor look like a tripple-A battery."
~Nick Fury. Iron Man 2

Could that "new element" from Iron Man 2 be a...Tesseract? Did Tony make a cosmic triangle?

Since Howard Stark found the cosmic cube, he had an opportunity to study it. Perhaps he wanted to put HYDRA's techniques to shame and actually duplicate the Tesseract. He discovered how, but couldn't pull it off, so he left clues for his son and hoped that technology was capable of synthesizing it one day.

Disclaimer: I have not read the comics. If the element is already named, I am simply ignorant of the fact.
This would also make sense in the scheme of things, especially since it is clear Howard Stark had access to the cube and an artificial piece of the cube. The element he had his son synthesize could have easily been based on that research.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
The Gentleman said:
Whew, glad I waited the week to see Captain America before pulling up this article.

Orekoya said:
starwarsgeek said:
Orekoya said:
Seeing as Howard Stark is clearly a hybrid of Howard Hughes and Walt Disney (with a touch of complete genius), I would venture to say that he is in his late twenties to early thirties in the movies. This would also correspond to the ages depicted in Iron Man 2 of both him and his son (see uncut film real that Tony watches under guard).
You know that's kinda a point in my favor right? For the sake of argument lets just establish age then with Howard being oh, 25 in this movie(to be generous with your point), which is set in 1942. Iron Man was in 2008 and Tony was also the late twenties/early thirties in it too. But to be generous to your point again let's establish his age being in the upper of that range with 35 that means he was born in 1973. That would make this Howard 56 at the time of his birth. In Iron Man 2 when he sees the 1970s documents his dad looks at best in his late thirties/early forties.

lordofthenight

Jun 8, 2009
With regards to Union Jack - according to his wiki page, the new Captain America game (which I haven't played), has this to say.

James Montgomery Falsworth appears in Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), played by J.J. Feild.

James Montgomery Falsworth appears in the Captain America: Super Soldier video game voiced by J. J. Feild. He is captured at one point, and Captain America goes to rescues him. Falsworth is next seen being experimented on and almost turned into the what Dr. Zola calls "the prefect assassin". Falsworth is seen in a capsule, with the British Flag near him and Zola saying he wanted to use the same symbolism as Captain America had, alluding to his super hero alter ego.