What SEGA games do you appreciate outside Sonic? (and why)

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Chimpzy said:
As for more modern stuff:
Bayonetta, Valkyria Chronicles, Total War and the Yakuza series.
YAAAAAASSSS, [*high five*], and also the Persona games (since Atlus are, presently, a SEGA subsidiary).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
votemarvel said:
Streets of Rage 2 remains my favourite Sega game and I believe it still holds up well today.

Everything works for the game. The playable characters are different enough to give a different experience when playing as them. The music fits at every moment. The controls are tight and responsive.

I will never understand why they abandoned the franchise after the third game, which while a step back wasn't terrible.
It hurts me to say this, but Sega (The Japanese Division, not the US/EU) hate the Streets of Rage series, which is why we will never see another one again. Just like how the Japanese execs hated Comix Zone. Though at least we have the Remake, which is better than anything modern Sega can come up with nowadays.

There were many Sega games I cared about outside of the blue hedgehog.

Streets of Rage series
Shinobi - specifically Revenge and III. AKA The Super Shinobi. I never liked the PS2 reboot.
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes and Super Heroes (developed by Treasure)
Comix Zone
Vectorman
Guardian Heroes (developed by Treasure)
Dynamite Headdy (developed by Treasure)
Dynamite Cop
Crazy Taxi
Virtua Cop
Virtua Fighter
Yakuza
House of the Dead

Bayonetta, Mad World, and Vanquish (developed by Platinum)

dscross said:
votemarvel said:
Streets of Rage 2 remains my favourite Sega game and I believe it still holds up well today.

Everything works for the game. The playable characters are different enough to give a different experience when playing as them. The music fits at every moment. The controls are tight and responsive.

I will never understand why they abandoned the franchise after the third game, which while a step back wasn't terrible.
I still love the 1st one. The music. Ahhh the music is sooo goood!
Even though 2 is the best gameplay wise, 1 has the best ost out of the trilogy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
B-Cell said:
I used to own genesis and play sega games when i was a kid. i prefer sonic over mario. i hated mario even when i was a kid.

they made some really good games like earthworm jim and shinobi etc.
They did not make Earthworm Jim. Shiny Entertainment was the developer and Playmate/Virgin Interactive were the publishers. EJ was on Saturn, Genesis, and Sega CD, but multiple consoles in general and PC.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
The only game I can think of ever playing that had Sega's name on the box and wasn't Sonic was Chomehounds. I loved that game, even though I never got the chance to play the multiplayer due to them shutting down the servers a week or two before I was able to activate my Xbox Live account. I just found it to be a really good mech game and wish that there had been more to do with it outside of the campaign missions even without the multiplayer servers.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
Sega owned or published games that I liked a lot:

Dragon Force
Gunstar Heroes
Guardian Heroes
Panzer Dragoon series
Virtual-On
Rez
Sega Rally Championship
Vectorman
Nights Into Dreams
Shining Force 2

So many good times with those games. I admit that owning a Saturn instead of a Playstation was kind of rough, but gems like Guardian Heroes, Virtual-On, Nights, and Panzer Dragoon almost made it worth it. Also, Sega Rally was just awesome in the pre-Gran Turismo days.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
CoCage said:
Yet Streets of Rage 2 has the best track of them in The Baseball Arena.

The MegaDrive could produce some awesome sounds.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
votemarvel said:
CoCage said:
Yet Streets of Rage 2 has the best track of them in The Baseball Arena.

The MegaDrive could produce some awesome sounds.
Indeed, the Sega Genesis could. I am assuming you're from Europe or Japan, since you called it the Mega Drive. For me personally, Dreamer (amusement park) was the best song in Streets of Rage 2.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Wasn't there one where you fight robots? Front Mission or something? I don't even know if it was SEGA, but it was good.

Shining Force series was the best console RPG ever.

Oh yeah, and Golden Axe.

Esspytood

no Yabou
Dec 15, 2008
Initial D Arcade Stage.
We have a Ver.2 machine where I work, and I'm always trying to get a game in at least once a week after i'm done for the day. I'm not usually into driving... overall, but this game has piqued my interest. I really wish we got more games in english, apart from the first 3 Arcade stages. (and a PC game I won't speak of, and wasn't even made by SEGA)

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Xsjadoblayde said:
Muthafuckin Ecco the muthafuckin dolphin!
+1. Underwater platforming down right

KingsGambit said:
I'm still holding out hope that one day Sega will let us have an Alpha Protocol 2.
Everyone keeps talking about Obisidan being great at story telling and choices. Alpha Protocol is the only game where they managed this. Puts F:NV to shame. You can actually play a bad guy! And it can be beneficial! (Just ignore the gameplay because its... jank)

Skitchin, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Road Rash, Alex Kidd in Mircale World and Alien Storm were all good as people said

The new one I'd add is Wonderboy on MS

B-Cell said:
I used to own genesis and play sega games when i was a kid. i prefer sonic over mario. i hated mario even when i was a kid.
I still like 2D Sonic over Mario. 3D Sonic can jump in a lake

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
CoCage said:
Indeed, the Sega Genesis could. I am assuming you're from Europe or Japan, since you called it the Mega Drive. For me personally, Dreamer (amusement park) was the best song in Streets of Rage 2.
I'm from the UK, so it'll always be the MegaDrive for me. So many great memories of the console.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
Oh SEGA...sometimes I miss that SEEEEGAAAA start up sound on my Mega Drive and Saturn. Anyway...

Shining Force and Phantasy Star were definitely the highlights for me...and throw in Shinobi and Altered Beast in there as well. Virtua Fighter was quite fun too, and a different kind of fighter after spending way too much time on SSFII Turbo. But Phantasy Star will always be the highlight for me as it was absurdly difficult for me but man, loved beating it. Kind of how I feel towards Lunar, actually.

Edit: turns out Alex Kidd was actually from SEGA too, so throw that in there as well, enjoyed playing that as a kid ( that kid loved platformers....I wonder what happened to him...)

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
ghalleon0915 said:
Edit: turns out Alex Kidd was actually from SEGA too, so throw that in there as well, enjoyed playing that as a kid ( that kid loved platformers....I wonder what happened to him...)
Alex was the mascot pre Sonic. I always used to get annoyed with the rock paper scissors thing on the Mega Drive game. You could die at the end of a level and it was pretty much down to chance. Annoying. The game was fun though.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
dscross said:
I always used to get annoyed with the rock paper scissors thing on the Mega Drive game.
Lies, lies!

It wasn't rock paper scissors. It was thumpkin bump...or whatever the hell Alex actually says.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Zaxxon was one of my favorite space-shooters waaaaay back on the day.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Shining Soul 2 because it was honestly, and this'll sound like I'm fucking with you, one of the first 'RPG' games that I ever bothered to play (I was pretty much only into platform games or the like back then) and dear God I cannot even count the amount of time I must have sunk into that thing.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
dscross said:
I always used to get annoyed with the rock paper scissors thing on the Mega Drive game.
Lies, lies!

It wasn't rock paper scissors. It was thumpkin bump...or whatever the hell Alex actually says.
I don't get the reference ... I don't remember that... am I just being thick with a shit memory ... explain? I remember in both the Enchanted Castle and Miracle World you had to have a game of rock paper scissors with the bosses.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
dscross said:
Hawki said:
dscross said:
Lies, lies!

I don't get the reference ... I don't remember that... am I just being thick with a shit memory ... explain? I remember in both the Enchanted Castle and Miracle World you had to have a game of rock paper scissors with the bosses.
Peh, some Sega fan you turned out to be. :p

But to explain, it's me being snarky. Alex does play rps, but the actual sound effect when he does is "thumpkin bump" (or something), rather than actually saying "scissors, paper, rock."

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
dscross said:
Hawki said:
dscross said:
Lies, lies!

Peh, some Sega fan you turned out to be. :p

But to explain, it's me being snarky. Alex does play rps, but the actual sound effect when he does is "thumpkin bump" (or something), rather than actually saying "scissors, paper, rock."
Ah I see. As much as i quite liked the Alex Kidd games as a child, I can't say it's one I played a lot of compared to others. Not enough to remember sound effects anyway.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
Not having had a Genesis/Master System during its initial run, I relished getting the Sonic's Sega Genesis Collection for the 360; I really need to get back to those - dang you Mass Effect!