What should I expect? (FF the movie)

Jang

Mar 21, 2009
So I have the option of borrowing FF spirts within from a friend of mine. But I have heard from many that the movie sucks so hard that the god of suck look down and says "That is my greatest creation!". And others have said that if you go into it with the right mindset, the movie will be a pleasant experience.
When I first start watching something I usually have to watch it to the end. It really has to suck if I am to leave the show halfway to the end, but I would still hate to have wasted 1h 40min, so I call upon you, great forumits, to aid me in this struggle.

Can the right mindset save it, or is the movie doomed to suck? If the former, what would be the right mindset? What should I expect from this movie?

Manyeyes

Apr 21, 2009
It?s not a bad movie; it just doesn't capture the Final Fantasy sprit.

The only thing it has in common with the games is some names and concepts (Gaia theory)

Darthlex

Apr 21, 2009
Zann, you sure you're not refering to Advent Children now? And if so that movie is excellent .. But yes, the one you're talking about jang, is horribly bad and every copy of it should burn somewhere dark and evil for all eternity!

opiwankenobi

Oct 10, 2008
Not exactly a good movie, but there are worse out there. The story felt rushed and somehow incomplete.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
If the movie was under a diifferent name, then I would have been a decent movie, the voice acting was good, the annimation was brilliant, the plot wasnt that bad it just gets alittle confusing and they forget to explian a good few things, other then that though, I enjoyed it, it was better then FF VII advent children any way.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
i liked it...
true it had nothing to do with Final Fantasy whatsoever, but it was all right :p

RH3INLAND.

Apr 18, 2009
Not really a good movie at all, and for a movie that uses the Final Fantasy brand, it sure has absolutely nothing to do with any of the games. I'm pretty sure the right mindset won't save this one.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
it should have been a decent movie if it had been called : "the spirits within" but they put final fantsy in the title and it change the expectation of everyone.

if you want to see a final fantasy movie, watch children advent, if you have play FF7 of course...

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
slevin8989 said:
Ollie596 said:
slevin8989 said:
I thought it was horrible you're better off watching advent child
Even thats bad
It's still a lot better than spirits within
I dunno. At least Spirits Within has a story. It's not told very well, but at least it's there.

Advent Children is 90 minutes of gratuitous fanservice with all the pacing of an overextended videogame cutscene. Which, for all intents and purposes, is what it is.

ad3m1

Sep 9, 2008
I agree with Gloating Swine.

With the right mindset- Spirit's Within is a great movie. Its deeper than a lot of people will give credit and thus requires you to think a little bit (OH DEAR LORD. ASKING THE GENERAL PUBLIC TO THINK!?! UNHEARD OF!)

Just go into it with an open mind. I believe the reason why most people thought it sucked was because they read FINAL FANTASY on the cover and were expecting Advent Children, AKA gratuitous fan service.

slevin8989

Apr 3, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
slevin8989 said:
Ollie596 said:
slevin8989 said:
I thought it was horrible you're better off watching advent child
Even thats bad
It's still a lot better than spirits within
I dunno. At least Spirits Within has a story. It's not told very well, but at least it's there.

Advent Children is 90 minutes of gratuitous fanservice with all the pacing of an overextended videogame cutscene. Which, for all intents and purposes, is what it is.
But that's it advent child actually was just for the fans you wouldn't expect someone who's never played ff7 to understand it. While spirits within was supposed to be for the fans but followed none of the final fantasy stories