what shouldn't be made into a film?

deadpoolhulk

Dec 22, 2010
I'm interested, is there any book, TV show, play, game, anything else, that to you should never have a place on the big screen?
I don't mean because they are really bad. I mean because you think that for whatever reason it could not be given justice if turned into a film.

Personaly i don't think the Zelda series should get a film. Mostly because of the fact that the best thing about Hyrule is the many different areas and people that live ther, and two or so hours could never give the gorrens, zoras ect ect the development that they deserve.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
The Lord of the Rings.

Either it'd have to be made into 5 films (books 5 and 6 could be combined to the same movie), or they'd have to cut SO much of the main story out to boil it down to be only 3 movies that there would be so many plot holes as to make its director seem to be a retarded illiterate chimp.

Captcha: otsyTR $1.00 One dollar oysters? nom nom nom

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
madwarper said:
The Lord of the Rings.

Either it'd have to be made into 5 films (books 5 and 6 could be combined to the same movie), or they'd have to cut SO much of the main story out to boil it down to be only 3 movies that there would be so many plot holes as to make its director seem to be a retarded illiterate chimp.
Ahoy there squire, are you from the past? Because I hate to break it to you, but that has totally already been done:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_film_trilogy

And it was awesome!

On topic, most board games like Ludo, Monopoly, Battleships etc. (I am aware that the last two are being made, but lets face it, they're going to suck) Although apparently the rock em sock em robots movie with Robert Downey Jr. was quite good, but that man craps excellence. I think it comes down to anything can make a great movie if you find the right angle to focus on, but most of the time Hollywood is just trying to quickly cash in on a big name, so mediocrity reigns supreme

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Ahoy there squire, are you from the past? Because I hate to break it to you, but that has totally already been done:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_film_trilogy

And it was awesome!
Are you missing a point? Cause I think I found it over here....

"My Idea of Fun" by Will Self, Mainly because it would unlikely to work in that medium.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I was going to say Lord of The Rings as well...

Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole -books. I don't think any of them could work in a medium like film.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Calvin and Hobbes. I'm terrified that once Bill Watterson dies and the copyright falls into someone else's hands that we're gonna be a bunch of stuff that will literally punch us right in the childhood.

Jan 18, 2012
Zelda is the big one that comes to mind, mostly because Link would have to speak (and we all know how well that turns out *coughphillipsCDicough*) Also NO SEQUELS TO "THE LAST AIRBENDER!" The show told its story over 3 20 episode seasons, something you can't contain into an hour and a half without clunky, awkward expository dialog.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
madwarper said:
The Lord of the Rings.

Captcha: otsyTR $1.00 One dollar oysters? nom nom nom
I don't understand... LOTR was brilliant on the big screen... :(
Honestly, the only thing that I really missed in the films was Tom Bombadil.

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
Honestly? Most things.

I think that if Hollywood (going with Hollywood because I'm in the U.S.) would worry more about quality than quantity, our entertainment industry would be a lot more.. entertaining.. for me. While I realize that the goal is to make money and by doing it the way they are now a lot of your promotion is already done for you, the thought that every video game, cartoon, game, comic and book needs to be turned into movie form is absurd. Some things work, but most don't. In my opinion, of course. I feel the same way about the endless fucking sequels and prequels.

Also, LEAVE MY CHILDHOOD ALONE! *shakes cane*

Wierdguy

Feb 16, 2011
Well... Twilight... but since thats a bit late Im going to go ahead and say any Bioware game. Heard some places about people asking for Mass Effect movies or Dragon age ones and frankly I think that would be one hell of a bad idea.

Bioware games are about letting you make choises and not having any one choise being the "right" one (ignoring a few retcons like Leliana but you get the idea), putting it in movie format means that anyone who didnt do what Shepard/the warden/revan/whatever do in the movie essentialy gets told that they did the wrong thing. Also it would take the whole "MY character" feeling away from the games.

Bioware make awesome games, but I doubt they would be as revered if they started making movies out of said games.

Now... a movie set in the world or universe whit a story that is unrelated to the games... now THATS a different story!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Sarah Kerrigan said:
Battleship.

It's a FUCKING BOARD GAME!!!

/rages.
Agreed. And then they are going to make an FPS based off the film based off the strategy board game.

Anyway, Min-

MeXR said:
Minecraft

Don't make a Call of Duty movie. That's my last thought <.<

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
Well, I tend to agree with Moviebob that "You can make a good movie out of anything". But I do acknowledge that some material doesn't work no matter how much you try. I say this, if you can't come up with a (around)2-hour story that's self-contained and has interesting visuals that people might wanna watch all with the material you have, don't make a movie out of it.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Most comics/graphic novels... I know, I know, a shitload have been done, but why do the vast majority absolutely suck balls?!

That and most books, actually, largely because two hours of movie material can typically be written in about a hundred and fifty pages... so the content cut ruins it more often than not...

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
i hope this doesnt get me hate. But the elder scrolls series. i see people say theyd want it to be put into a movie but it wouldnt work! the elder scrolls games all have loads of content in it, its about the exploration and all the stuff you can do! it wouldnt work in movie form!

Kapri

Jul 20, 2011
Video games in general. I haven't seen a decent video game movie yet and don't think I'll ever see one in my lifetime. Also the most recent "I Am Legend" did NOT, NOT NOT NOT NOT do the book any justice.

Hollywood, please do us a favor and stop trying.