What Single Scene Killed an Otherwise Great Movie?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
09philj said:
The very last shot in The Dark Knight Rises. If the movie had ended on a close up of Alfred's face, and him nodding, that would have been perfect. Instead we get Christian Bale grinning and staring. Because that was really needed.
The Director's Cut version with them running in slow motion, hand-in-hand, down a sun lit beach is even more maudlin.
I more a fan of the Mr.Sunday Movies version.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Okay, I'm cheating. I already wasn't a fan of Contact. They fucked up the book beyond all repair already within the first couple of scenes. However, they made me outright hate the movie in the last scene. Instead of Ellie acknowledging that there is no evidence yet, but that she will eventually be able to obtain it, they pull this fucking "guess ya gotta have faith" bullshit which ruins the entire movie.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Silentpony said:
Any of the annoying scientists scenes from Pacific Rim. Apparently they cut an entire Jaeger and crew from the movie, presumably to make room for Dork and Dork Jr. to do nothing important, funny or required if they were excluded. Cut them, add Matador Fury and have more Jaegers punch more Kaiju in the face!!

*Snip*

Also any movie that had public humiliation as a joke. Skip right over it. I don't consider embarrassment, humiliation and public scorn funny by any means so if Will Ferrell or Tyler Perry are going to shit themselves at the UN or fallen victim to drugs during a church sermon, to quote the legendary George Carlin "you can probably find me playing pinball next door"
I actually didn't mind the scientists that much. If nothing else, they can be said to have enabled Ron Perlman to steal every scene he's in. That said though, would I have preferred more time with the Jaeger pilots instead? Probably. Still, at least we got some quality time with Perlman, and that's always a win in my book.

As for that last paragraph, definitely agreed. Most recent example for me would be Daddy's Home where he gets drunk at a basketball game and acts like a completely irredeemable ass in front of basically the entire world when he wins a free throw. Then I'm supposed to believe that his wife just up and forgives him because he showed-up at their kid's school dance (where he then dances around shirtless). I mean, I can get how she'd be willing to let him have that one last moment for the daughter's sake, but there's no way that any woman would continue to be involved with a guy after the basketball game scene. And yeah, I know, it's just a comedy, but even those have to worry about suspension of disbelief to some extent, especially when they're going to use a scene to create drama. I can over-look Will Ferrel buying a pony to win his step daughter's affection and then having said pony vanish off the face of the Earth. It's a bit harder to swallow the idea of him publicly embarrassing his wife and then not having to hire a divorce lawyer.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Fappy said:
People always bring up Episode IV when complaining about the Special Edition movies, but the singing alien scene in Episode VI is the worse scene in all the movies period. It comes out of nowhere/super jarring, doesn't fit at all with the original scene it is overlapping and completely detracts from the actual relevant action in the scene. Plus, the song is just fucking awful. Makes me want to blow my brains out. The fuck was Lucas smoking?
Thanks for saying precisely what has been in my mind since 1997. I refused to buy any version of starwars that include what has to be the definition of movie franchise ruining moment. I am really hoping Disney release an unmolested, restored, 4K edition of the movies.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Pluvia said:
Yeah you're right OP, that anal sex bit in Kingsman really does knock a point off that movie. It's not that I'm a prude, or care about butt sex to the extent I'm like "*GASP* Don't mention it!", it's just.. bad. Badly delivered. Out of place. Bizarre motivation for both characters. Too long. I mean it would have been better if they just left it at "If you get me out of here I'll give you more than a kiss". That was funny enough.
Exactly. I'm not shy when it comes to sex either. Heck, I absolutely loved all three of the Austin Powers movies (as dated as they are; and yes, even the third movie), and those movies are raunchy as hell. It's just that Kingsman, up until that scene, had very little to no sexual content, then all of the sudden we have this actress very awkwardly delivering this line about butt sex.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Pluvia said:
Yeah you're right OP, that anal sex bit in Kingsman really does knock a point off that movie. It's not that I'm a prude, or care about butt sex to the extent I'm like "*GASP* Don't mention it!", it's just.. bad. Badly delivered. Out of place. Bizarre motivation for both characters. Too long. I mean it would have been better if they just left it at "If you get me out of here I'll give you more than a kiss". That was funny enough.
Exactly. I'm not shy when it comes to sex either. Heck, I absolutely loved all three of the Austin Powers movies (as dated as they are; and yes, even the third movie), and those movies are raunchy as hell. It's just that Kingsman, up until that scene, had very little to no sexual content, then all of the sudden we have this actress very awkwardly delivering this line about butt sex.
Eh, considering the other sexual reference in the movie, was that the asshole thug leader, and his tubby friend were apparently going to have a threesome with Eggsy's mom, and sort of implied it was going to happen if she liked it or not, I'm fine with them balancing out that creeptastic scene with something consentual. Plus, I liked the idea of a princess being into anal. Like it was her preference, compared to vaginal. I dunno, that just amuses me.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Keep in mind that the movie up until this point has been, for the most part, pretty clean. A bit of violence, yes, but nothing too over-the-top for a standard action flick.
You must have a different definition of "a bit of violence" than me. That church scene alone had more gratuitous violence in one scene than most action movies have in the whole thing. Also, the whole anal bit took place in like the last 5-10 minutes of the movie, I don't really see how the gag could been dragging on that long.

Cowabungaa said:
I wasn't overly fond with Jurassic World to begin with (I wanted a return to the more low-key, thriller-esque vibe of the original) but the gratuitous killing of the assistant really killed it for me. That girl was just getting tortured, like, why did they include that? Made me a little uncomfortable even. So I won't say that it killed a great movie, but it did seal the deal for me.
Agree on this one. I wasn't a huge fan of the movie period, but that scene was so bizarrely out of place. Much of the movie before then had seemed like a somewhat cheesier version of the original Jurassic Park, with much less suspense and grit, and then all of the sudden out of nowhere they torture this random character who has had about 2 lines prior for a good minute. It was just weird.

"Just Friends", with Ryan Reynolds, Amy Smart and Anna Faris. I freakin' loved this movie, but there is one scene where Ryan Reynolds character suffers what is an absolutely nightmarish injury (he slides down a snowy hill completely strapped to a sled, unable to move, and then gets flipped over and lands face first on ice). It's actually sort of horrendous, but it's played completely for laughs. A low point in an otherwise great movie.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Avatar, the scene where the protagonist scoffs at the idea that the space-age humans have anything of value to offer to the Na'vii. It isn't just that one scene, but that scene does perfectly encapsulate why I didn't like the movie. It handles the subject so simplisticly. There's a sifference between deciding that the social and cultural upheaval caused by the introduction of new technology would be too high a price to pay, and declaring that your Ma'rii Sues can do more with sticks and stones than the filthy smelly humans with highly advanced tech.

On a related note, a scene that only in retrospect was everything that was wrong with the movie: Hellboy 2, near the beginning, when he's deliberately exposing himself to the press and treating it like a big joke on his stuffy boss... while the ashes that used to be hundred's of civilians and two of his co-workers are falling down around him. This becomes especially aggrivating later, when it turns out that the genocidal elf prince may be the big villain, but the big theme is Hellboy not being accepted by the normal humans. But Hellboy and his non-normal human friends never give two shits about regular humans either, with one comically overdone exception that exists only so it can be thrown back in Hellboy's face to show how bad he has it. By the end, they only stop the genocidal prince after they gave him the keys to the doomsday weapon to kill all humans, and he decided to betray them immediately. They don't explicitly say Hellboy wouldn't have fought him if the villain had agreed to only kill the humans... but the movie sure leaves that option on the table.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Nahh, I gotta go with BloatedGuppy here. To characterize Brand's speech as if she's giving a literal scientific theory would be an unfair interpretation. She's being philosophical and allegorical there.

I can get why it feels out of place though. All the while before that those character monologues had been science lectures, all hard sci-fi exposition (which I found pretty dreary to begin with, coming from a lover of science and space exploration). And then suddenly one of them starts philosophizing. Err, okay. I get why, they just went through something really traumatic and were pretty distressed, but I didn't like it from a filmographic perspective.

Where the third act, I think, mostly went wrong was not the event itself but deciding to let Cooper keep explaining stuff, keep the monologues going. That's not how you do something like that. The third act could've been transcendent, akin to the stargate scene of 2001: A Space Odyssey. A crossing of a border where reason can no longer carry you. A happening that goes beyond understanding and all you'd have left to act upon is instinct, is emotion; his love for his daughter. It could've been quite powerful if that part simply had no dialogue, no explanations. Making the point visually, through the acts of the characters alone.

But no, they had to keep on rambling. That's not how you do human emotions Mr. Nolan, you're not very good at those. Kubrick however knew exactly how to portray such an event in 2001.
Casual Shinji said:
It made me feel more uncomfortable than Sam Jackson's story in Hateful Eight.
It's funny that you mention that, because that scene of Jackson telling his erm, interesting story walked right on that very tight rope of being too much. It very nearly fell off it too, going the way of that Jurassic World scene if not for one important difference. Where Jurassic World's scene was pointless, Jackson's character had a clear reason to tell that story, namely to
goad the General into trying to shoot him so he could kill him without it being murder.
The kid deserved that blanket by that point though I mean, come now Mr. Jackson, come now...

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
09philj said:
The very last shot in The Dark Knight Rises. If the movie had ended on a close up of Alfred's face, and him nodding, that would have been perfect. Instead we get Christian Bale grinning and staring. Because that was really needed.
I'll give you a different one for that movie. "You should use your full name. I like that name...Robin." Wait...WHAT??? This movie has been telegraphing that this kid would be the successor to Bruce Wayne in almost every one of his scenes, and now you're telling us that he's not going to be the new Batman, but go gallivanting around rooftops as Robin...his real name??? Holy Bat Guano, Nolan, how'd you come up with that one?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Grave of the Fireflies:
Two orphans are trying to survive in post WW2 Japan. It's a heart crushing journey, as you watch the children get kicked out of their aunts home, and wander the countryside in search of food. The teenage boy is tasked with taking care of his small sister, but he has no food, and no medicine for her. She withers away before his eyes, in pain, not understanding what is happening, or why. He takes her to a doctor, where he tells him that she is dying of malnutrition, but she can be saved if he puts her on a regular diet. The brother cries out, desperately, "where am I supposed to find any food?" It's gripping stuff.

Then there's a scene where he promptly goes to the bank and takes out several hundred dollars from his parents bank account, and buys more food then he can carry. His sister dies of starvation as he's walking through the cave entrance. That single scene killed the whole movie.

Citizen Kane:
Citizen Kane was a great movie, so maybe I'm cheating. I really liked it. But, what I expected was a slow, emotionally evocative story about a character that slowly becomes the thing he hates. A masterful falling from grace narrative. Instead this slow tragic change was handled... by a three minute breakfast montage. In about the most heavy handed way imaginable. It didn't ruin the film, but for a film that is praised for its subtlety, I was severely disappointed.

groan

*cough* *cough*
Mass Effect

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Casual Shinji said:
It made me feel more uncomfortable than Sam Jackson's story in Hateful Eight.
It's funny that you mention that, because that scene of Jackson telling his erm, interesting story walked right on that very tight rope of being too much. It very nearly fell off it too, going the way of that Jurassic World scene if not for one important difference. Where Jurassic World's scene was pointless, Jackson's character had a clear reason to tell that story, namely to
goad the General into trying to shoot him so he could kill him without it being murder.
The kid deserved that blanket by that point though I mean, come now Mr. Jackson, come now...
Not that it ruined the movie, but I did think it took kind of a dive toward the end of that tale. It starts off extremely tense and you can just feel the heartache of Bruce Dern's character, but then it goes into ludricrous territory and the whole thing becomes a joke, with each cut to Dern's face being the punchline. Kind of the movie in a nutshell; Starts off with disciplined tension and build-up, but then it overindulges on silliness and shock factor.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
AccursedTheory said:
BloatedGuppy said:
AccursedTheory said:

Love is a trans dimensional force. She claims its a force of nature they just can't measure.

It. Is. Absurd.
Oh good, I'm glad you linked that, because I went looking for it to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering it, and it made me even more resolute in my position than I was before.

I'll note before I begin that you're welcome to your opinion, so don't take this as me saying "you're wrong" or anything. But you're totally wrong, and I'll tell you why! =D

Brand is being philosophical. She is speculating about the nature of love and the force/pull it exerts, much like gravity. It's something you cannot see or perceive, yet feel and are compelled by. Note that is is not asserting that they are scientifically comparable, she's prefacing every statement with "maybe". She is speculating. She's also making a wild, emotional bid for a particular course of action, and being completely honest about her reasons why.

When we condemn scenes like this, or ***** about how "scientifically nonsensical" an obviously philosophical statement about the geas-like effect emotions have on organics is, we do two things. One, we establish an atmosphere of impossible pedantry. Everything is slaved to a "science first" perspective. There is literally not a science fiction film MADE that will not begin to fray when faced with this, and if there was it wouldn't be a "film" at all. It would be a two hour documentary about science, free of speculation or unproven hypothesis. It would basically be two hours of men in lab coats performing experiments and carefully checking results.

Two, we betray a complete lack of understanding about why films are made, or what they are even FOR. Films are just stories writ visually, and stories are essentially the life blood of human imagination. As Kearney said...

Telling stories is as basic to human beings as eating. More so, in fact, for while food makes us live, stories are what make our lives worth living.
They're the evolution of the oral history that shaped all our dreams and fears and aspirations. It's why some stories, like the Monomyth, have an unmistakable power, and come up time and time again in different forms. In GOOD science fiction, the science exists in service to the story, not the other way around. Interstellar is a science fiction film, yes, but it is primarily and foremost a film about human ingenuity and resilience, powered by emotion. That's a powerful story. "The science checked out" is not a powerful story. A story that was scientifically accurate in 1899 wouldn't be terribly interesting to a person in 2016. A story about human emotions literally NEVER AGES.

I honestly do not understand why people who complain about this stuff even watch films. Which is not to say they're not allowed, it's to express legitimate confusion at what they're looking for. I'm stroppy because the same issue came up during discussions of Star Wars, with bickering about "Force Power Levels" and other ridiculously idiotic minutiae. Similar issues arose with Bioshock Infinite and bleating claims of "That's not how multi-verse theory works". Over and over again there's this press to have stories slaved to science, or to game rules, or to plot machinations. The most important thing appears to be that everything is properly codified and obeys particular rules of structure. If that means the story is rubbish, so be it, but it's very important this Jedi not go past Force Power 5 for this scene, or that woman not be talking about "love" instead of bacteria or something because this is a science movie and we only do science here.

I imagine a guy writing the Bible a few thousand years ago or however long it was, and his friend being PFFT, you can't just turn someone into a fucking pillar of salt, Peter, that's not how it works. Your deity is a Mary Sue. No one is going to enjoy this. Go read Raoul's Treatise on Camels instead, it's way more grounded.
Except she's not being philosophical. The entire scene (Which I can't be bothered to link right now) makes it clear - She really thinks she's being called to her dead boyfriend by the universe. She really thinks love transcends dimensions. And the movie makes it clear that's exactly what happens. Cooper is pulled into another dimension to exploit this - While gravity is how he talks to his daughter, its clear that his love somehow allows him to find her, guiding him through a dimension where all time is compressed to a single 'moment.' Brand finds the planet love has driven her to is livable. Brand makes a claim that love is a force of nature (Again, not philosophical), and the end of the movie bends over backwards to prove she's right.

As for 'why would you watch a movie if you don't like this...' love and emotions are fine thematically devices. But it doesn't mean it fits in everywhere. Ridley doesn't escape from the Nostromo because the love for her daughter and her cat guides her to the escape ship. Interstellar's usage of love is bizarre and jarring because it goes from 'loose but generally realistic sci fi film where love is a motivation' to 'love isn't just a motivation, it's a god damn universal fact that can be exploited by physics we'll understand one day' in about a 2 minute time span.
I didn't get that impression at all. The whole movie set up a theme of irrational human behavior vs logical decision making. Her character wanted to go see someone she loved, even though it could potentially doom the human race. It wasn't a rational decision, and she was overruled. Matt Damon betrayed his own people, because his animalistic will to survive overpowered his desire to save humanity. It's about the will of the individual vs the need of the whole human race. These people are human, and prone to errors. Love was a motivator, not a cosmic force. But it was a motivator that could push human beings to accomplish great things. The teseract is proof of this, since it was created by more scientifically advanced humans in the future. They couldn't travel back in time, but they could send information back and manipulate space time.

In that regard, metaphorically, love could bend space and time. It's a prime motivator. We evolved love because it made it easier for our species to survive.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
madwarper said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Heck, they even referenced this scene in the trailers.
I can't think of a movie that I'd consider "great" that's ruined by a particular scene.

However, I can think of a movie that had a scene that was... Well, to call it "tasteful" would generous, but the actual scene was extended in the movie and painful to watch. The movie being Liar Liar, when Jim Carry got into the elevator with his new neighbor.
I find it incredibly hard to believe anyone thought this movie needed to be made, let alone that seen needed to be extended beyond what was in the trailer.
Liar, liar was great and there was nothing wrong with that scene.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Asita said:
I'll give you a different one for that movie. "You should use your full name. I like that name...Robin." Wait...WHAT??? This movie has been telegraphing that this kid would be the successor to Bruce Wayne in almost every one of his scenes, and now you're telling us that he's not going to be the new Batman, but go gallivanting around rooftops as Robin...his real name??? Holy Bat Guano, Nolan, how'd you come up with that one?
I'm pretty sure that was a reference to the comics when Robin becomes Batman, not saying that Blake would become Robin or Nightwing.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
I wasn't overly fond with Jurassic World to begin with (I wanted a return to the more low-key, thriller-esque vibe of the original) but the gratuitous killing of the assistant really killed it for me. That girl was just getting tortured, like, why did they include that? Made me a little uncomfortable even. So I won't say that it killed a great movie, but it did seal the deal for me.

Up until mah boy Blue came skidding around the corner FUCK YEAH TEAM-UP FIGHT WOOOO!!!
Yeah, that part really bothered me as well. Some innocent woman trying to take care of some dumbass kids that aren't even hers gets worse death than the villain.

That made me enjoy that movie a bit less. Well.. That and how stupid everyone in the movie was.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Something Amyss said:
erttheking said:
The point of this was to restore the husband's faith...which was only in question BECAUSE HIS WIFE DIED!
And that's my complaint about the movie in a nutshell. The message I took away from it was more "God's a dick" than "God works in mysterious ways."

Oh, and yeah. He restores the faith of one man by creating an alien invasion that causes fear, mayhem and death. After torturing a family for years.
This is kind of the reason I didn't like "Life of Pi", due to Pi's "Well, this story is obviously BS but you want to believe it because it's more awesome, you know, like God" moral. Except to me that's pretty much saying "Believing in God is purposefully lying to yourself because the world is too ugly".

Way to mix messages.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dalisclock said:
This is kind of the reason I didn't like "Life of Pi", due to Pi's "Well, this story is obviously BS but you want to believe it because it's more awesome, you know, like God" moral. Except to me that's pretty much saying "Believing in God is purposefully lying to yourself because the world is too ugly".

Way to mix messages.
Yeah. I mean, I don't mind religious messages, but if your goal is to make God look awesome, think carefully about what your message says.

Happyninja42 said:
Oh god yeah, hah! I forgot about those. I could kind of buy it in the first movie, as it culminated after days of research on the woman's part, to uncover his secret. Highlander: The Quickening though. *stabs self in stomach* "Hey babe! I'm immortal yo! Let's bang!" "Ok!" *jumps bones* So lame. xD
It's been a while since I watched Highlander 2: The Final Dimension, but yeah, it was similar to the first one, close to note for note in terms of "I can't die. Take me now." Though, this time it was to Bonny Portmore. Ironically, my aunt bought me a Loreena McKennitt CD because of that scene.

Where Connor was doing mortal number 626.

I'm not sure if it's to the series' credit that Duncan apparently did several women first, and then showed them he was immortal. But there were a couple repeat beats there, too.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Fappy said:
People always bring up Episode IV when complaining about the Special Edition movies, but the singing alien scene in Episode VI is the worse scene in all the movies period. It comes out of nowhere/super jarring, doesn't fit at all with the original scene it is overlapping and completely detracts from the actual relevant action in the scene. Plus, the song is just fucking awful. Makes me want to blow my brains out. The fuck was Lucas smoking?
I think the worst part of that scene is that every time anyone watches that film on TV, I can always hear it, I always recognise it and I get PTSD flashbacks of of wobbling CGI alien tonsils. I usually black out shortly afterwards and wake up covered in blood and hair. Then a few days later lost cat notices start popping up around the neighbourhood.