What songs have had covers that were better than the original?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I would offer up

The lions:

To which still gives me chills when I hear it, vs the original from Bob Dylan

Forgive because I only found the rerecording w/ Johnny Cash.

Lunareclipse123

Aug 14, 2007
Helmet said:
And again, I bring up Van Canto- an A capella metal band. Yes, you read that right.

The original The cover
The original The cover
The original The cover
The original The cover
Damn right.

Also, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Children of Bodom covering Oops I did It Again.

Zhalath

Mar 19, 2009
Slayer's cover of Dissident Aggressor, by Judas Priest, off of Sin After Sin.
Cover [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRpG5Smkldw]
Original [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_mpt8xyZVI]
I mean, it's a song about war and Germany or something, which totally sounds like a Slayer song.
And respect to Rob Halford (one of my favorite metal singers ever), but Tom Araya's delivery is more consistent and fits into the song better. Also, Dave Lombardo on the drum set=better percussion, every time.

TheAbominableDan

Jun 2, 2009
Isalan said:
However, best cover ever is Cash covering Nick Cave's "Mercy Seat". It was already a superb song, but Cash's version is just the best thing EVAR.
I disagree with almost every post in this thread but here's an answer I at least respect and care enough to debate. First of all don't get me wrong I love Cash's version. But I think it's lacking something. The Bad Seeds version is so frantic and seems at odds with the lyrics until you get to the last chorus and the lyrics change.

Cash's version really is being sung by a man who is not afraid to die, and I don't like that quite as much.

Mister Eff

Apr 11, 2009
Jimi Hendrix's cover of All Along The Watchtower is one of my favourite songs of all time, but it's been mentioned to death. One I absolutely loved was the Battlestar Galactica version of it (by Bear Mccreary I think?). It's so very different to the others. And it's from one of the best shows of all time.

http://youtu.be/J1__dINxiXU

I'm awful at embedding videos etc, sorry guys.

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
Quite a lot of the "Punk Goes..." Albums are pretty good about this. My personal favourite is Blame It covered by Of Mice and Men. I think it sets the mood a lot better than the original version by Jamie Foxx

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
AssassinBry87 said:
Nirvana's cover of the man who sold the world
Oi, ninja'd.

Some friends of mine did a cover of The Rolling Stones' "gimme shelter" that was phenomenal.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
technoted said:
Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower, it's always the first one to come into my mind alongside Johnny Cash - Hurt.
Must mention Jimi's cover of Like a Rolling Stone as well, it's fantastic.

The only cover that comes immediately to mind is Sweet Home Chicago as performed by the Blues Brothers (AKA John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd) the original isn't all that enjoyable to me.

And this cover of Amos Moses by Primus.

And then there's all the different covers of La Mer/Somewhere Beyond the Sea, all of which I love. Bing Crosby, Django Reinhardt, and Bobby Darin all covered it wonderfully.

EDIT: Ooh, someone mentioned Faith no More, they are fantastic at covers.

verylost

Jul 30, 2010
I'd have to say Spirit in the sky by Doctor and the medics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X2fdGEWOhA
Original by Norman Greenbaum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAfYCuOtgQg

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Alice Cooper's Poison. It's decent, but I heard a techno cover by a female singer that was pure gold.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
CAKE's cover of 'Guitar Man' is superior to Bread's, in my opinion.

[/youtube]

Anything that Richard Cheese covers is pure gold by the time he's done with it, and Me First and the Gimme Gimmes do some fantastic covers as well.

Another one I love is Voltaire's version of The Cure's 'Lovesong'. Voltaire's version feels more soulful to me (my boyfriend prefers the original, but he loves The Cure and I don't).

Nuds1000

Aug 2, 2010
that's true it is a folk song but Leadbelly was one of the first and more memorable of performers to record it. That being said I concede to your rightness

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I Fought The Law by The Clash. A song I never knew was a cover because the cover is many magnitudes more famous than the original.

Also, nearly anything by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. Punk rock style covers of some old songs. Many would consider this music blasphemy but I think it's hilarious.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
TheAbominableDan said:
I disagree with almost every post in this thread but here's an answer I at least respect and care enough to debate. First of all don't get me wrong I love Cash's version. But I think it's lacking something. The Bad Seeds version is so frantic and seems at odds with the lyrics until you get to the last chorus and the lyrics change.

Cash's version really is being sung by a man who is not afraid to die, and I don't like that quite as much.
I think thats what I appreciate about Cash's version. Cave's version kinda starts with a scrabbling desperate tone and tempo before "accepting his fate" towards the end.

Cash's version is more of a re-telling, less panic stricken than the Cave version. Like he's singing it to the angels ;)

Les Awesome

Mar 29, 2010
Marilyn Manson - Tainted love
one of the most covered songs of all time and mansons is the bestest

TheRaider

Jul 4, 2010
electric_warrior said:
All Along the Watchtower- covered by Jimi Hendrix
Mr Tambourine Man- Covered by the Byrds
Hallelujah- covered by Jeff Buckley
Hounds of Love- covered by Futureheads
The byrds cover of Mr Tambourine man was pretty terrible. I am not sure how anyone could see that better than the original.

I am all for all along the watchtower being one of the best covers of all time.

Knocking on heavens door by gnr was another good one. Dylans songs translate to good covers since the originals were stripped down so they can be played differently.

The best covers are always original takes on a loved song IMO.

189-snakes

Sep 30, 2009
This is the song "Fireflies" by Owl City.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4

And here's the cover version of the song performed by a guy on youtube by the name of Josiah Brooks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFGgtpXFr4Q&feature=channel_video_title

I personally never cared for the original version of this song, but I can listen to the cover version for hours at a time and never get tired of it.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
TheRaider said:
electric_warrior said:
All Along the Watchtower- covered by Jimi Hendrix
Mr Tambourine Man- Covered by the Byrds
Hallelujah- covered by Jeff Buckley
Hounds of Love- covered by Futureheads
The byrds cover of Mr Tambourine man was pretty terrible. I am not sure how anyone could see that better than the original.
William Shatner's cover is pretty great though, as is his cover of 'Common People' by Pulp. :) Actually, all his covers are amazing.

Mr. Tambourine Man

Common People

F*** You