What sort of person do I need to be?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I have a job interview tomorrow, first time in ages. I don't want to mess it up.

People are telling me to be "a more professional version of yourself". That never worked before. It'll be miserable to have to keep the act up, but I have to be whoever they want me to be. Question is, what do they want?

Got me thinking about things wider than that. Recently, I haven't been so keen on going out, keep getting paranoid, I stand out too much amongst all the normal people. How do I pretend to be one of them so I don't have to be worried about them taking offence. And what kind of person is "attractive"? Don't tell me to be myself. I tried that and not only did I fail, but I'm pretty sure I ruined the day of everyone I tried that with.

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
A lot of job interviews can sink or swim on the sort of language you use. I'm sure you'll be asked the generic competency questions like 'when have you shown your leadership skills' (and there's oodles of lists of these questions online, so I'd recommend looking them up and writing out some scenarios from your life you can use to answer these), it's best to use assertive language. A big pitfall that many people fall into (including myself, many a time) is to sound too passive?saying 'we' when talking about working in a group, or saying things like 'I think that...' or 'I suppose I did...'. Colloquially speaking, there's nothing wrong with that, but it tends to sound like you're shying away from owning what you did. Making sure you say things like 'I did X' and ensuring the interviewer knows what you did, not what the group did or what you might have sort of done goes a long way. It's certainly not a way most people speak normally, so practice some questions with a friend or relative to try and get that more assertive tone across.

Also, try to structure answers to competency questions: the STAR approach (Situation, Task, Action, Response) is usually a good one to follow. Basically, tell the interviewer what was happening in that scenario, what you needed to do to rectify it/accomplish your goals, what you did (and why), and then what happened afterward. It helps you give concise yet informative answers that don't ramble too much.

Do a little research on the company, too: products/services offered, your job role if you get hired, competitors, previous projects the company's worked on, that sort of thing. A little goes a long way, and it really helps if you get asked the question 'Why do you want to work here?' Also, if you're allowed to ask questions of the interviewer at the end, you can show off that you know a bit more about the company than most other people who want, which is always a plus.

And, to answer all of your questions, I'd say it might be worth trying to focus on the positives. By that (and if you'll forgive me for assuming you have the same type of mind as me, that tends to be very pessimistic), I mean push away the memories of embarrassing or demeaning encounters, thoughts that everyone knows what you did and is judging you for it, and so on. This isn't going to happen in an afternoon, I realise, but try picking out a memory of something you did that made you feel good. It doesn't have to be anything world-shatteringly philanthropic, or even something that benefitted someone else. Ignore the feeling that you're being an arrogant arse for talking yourself up for once, and just let yourself think 'yeah, I did alright'. There's a vicious circle to be caught in by focussing on negatives: you get too harsh on yourself, and then you start to think that not only does everyone know about all those times something went wrong for you, they're also judging you for it as harshly as you are. Getting yourself in a more positive mindset can help break that cycle: you start to realise that most people, if not everyone, have no idea about the sort of negative events in your past (even the ones who were there--human memory is awfully selective like that), and even if they do remember or somehow found out, it would probably be utterly inconsequential to them. I've been there too; learning to not regard yourself as a terrible person is difficult when you have that mindset, but it can--and ought--to be done. You're a much better guy than you'll admit to yourself.

Try adopting things in increments and gradually pushing your mindset away from fully negative. Don't try adopting a persona that you don't feel comfortable wearing, but don't just sit back and let the world flow by because it's hard to change either. Find a reason to be positive, however small (a hobby or a small life achievement, for instance), and try playing off of it when with others. You'll be surprised at how far it might go. Like you said, 'try being yourself' at the moment isn't helpful, but 'yourself' is by no means a static concept. Earn that bit of self-confidence and cherish it.

So, when you go for your interview tomorrow, try thinking 'I'm going to get this job'. Not 'I hope I get this job', or 'What if they don't hire me?', because you're there for that job, and you're going to show them why they should hire you. Talk yourself up, show off your strengths, find something positive in your weaknesses, and don't let that creeping negativity in your mind drag you down, as it's wrong. You'll be surprised at how good you feel after an interview if you push yourself and talk yourself up more than usual. You don't have to maintain it for long, but try making that breakout from your comfort zone semi-permanent and apply that mindset to other areas of your life. It's probably been parroted at you a thousand times, but confidence really is attractive. You don't have to be the guy out of the Dos Equis adverts, but you'll be a lot better off than the guy who assumes the worst from every situation.

Best of luck at the interview tomorrow, and if you feel like it, tell us how you got on. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
I would try to do something that makes you memorable to the person hiring. If you're at the point of a face to face interview, they're considering if your personality would fit into the work environment. Try to find a common ground with the interviewer. I have a friend who says he got hired as a manager because he and his boss were both big fans of Star Trek.

Also, at the end of an interview, if they ask you "do you have any questions," a good response might be "is there anything I said during this interview that concerned you and you would like me to elaborate on?" You'll look professional, and might have a chance to rephrase something that the interviewer didn't like.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Thanks for the advice. Do you have any ideas for the nerves? It doesn't make sense that they'd expect someone not to be nervous for such an important thing, but they probably don't want me to show nerves. It doesn't help that I was diagnosed with anxiety this morning, I guess, but some of my friends have it a lot worse, one of which barely leaves the bed because of it, but still, kinda feels like I'm playing with a hefty handicap here.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
Everyone has anxiety. Some have it worse than others, but it's always beatable. There are a couple methods, so let me offer some suggestions.

First, stop pitying yourself. It accomplishes nothing and only functions to exacerbate anxiety. Anxiety is devilish because it builds. You get anxious, then start thinking about all the bad things, and that functions to build the anxiety even further. Then you go, fuck, stop thinking about this. But by trying to not think about it you're only thinking about it harder.

Some of the best advice a therapist gave me was to simply accept the anxiety and let it go away. You'll get anxious, it happens, and you know it happens, and medical professionals know it happens, and that's fine. Just confront it. "Wow, I'm really anxious right now, but really, what am I so worried about?" What's the worst that could happen? You don't get the job? Fuck it. If you really just accept that you're anxious, then analyze it a little it starts to fall apart. You're going to a job interview. The person you'll be talking to does this all the time. If it doesn't work out, it's nothing personal. It's a job, and the interviewer is probably just punching the clock. What are you so worried about really? And hey, if nothing else it's going to be over, and I have found that the anxious fear over something is always worse than how I feel when it's over, even if the bad thing I was worried about happens.

Another good method is "act as if." Act as if you're you're not experiencing anxiety. Not confident? Fuck it, just act confident. I use this method all the time for anxiety, as well as bi-polar disorder and general depression. If you're acting some way, pretty soon it'll start to rub off on you. It'll feel like a fake lie at first, but suddenly it'll stop feeling like a lie, because you're actually doing that thing. I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't I can try better analogies if you give me more details. The greatest thing about "act as if" if even if you're anxious the entire time and it never goes away, you didn't act anxious, so the other person is none the wiser. I believe this is also known as "fake it till you make it."

I've spent the last month studying for a major test. I've been so anxious I could shit a brick, but I don't let it take over. "OK, my stomach is in knots and my chest is super tight, but it'll end. It always does, the world never ends, so freaking out won't benefit me, and I'll just continue pretending I feel fine and soon enough I actually will."

I've had anxiety all my life, and it gets easier every day, because as the years go on I continually learn what my triggers are and how to control them. You just got diagnosed, which is awesome, because now you've taken the first step in identifying a problem and working towards a solution. Don't run away from it like your anxiety instinctively makes you want to. Face it, name it, and learn how to control it. It is, after all, all in your head.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
"What sort of person do you need to be?"

Well, anything you want, as long as you're not an ass or a criminal you should do alright in life.

It's more important that you learn to be comfortable with who you are in order to be liked and popular. If you ape something you're not you'll just annoy the people you're trying to impress and if that fake personality does manage to make a few friends you'll end up with relationships built entirely on a lie.

No one personality is more "attractive" or appealing than any other (again, barring assholery or being a criminal), and I know you said it's not what you want to hear, but you do need to learn to be yourself. I'm going to guess that you're young and probably don't fully understand what that means yet, but that just means you need to think for a while and be honest with yourself. Would you really rather spend the rest of your life trying to force yourself into the mold of what you think will appeal most to other people? Unless you want to be a politician, that's NEVER a positive trait, and in any event you'll just make yourself miserable and even more anxious that someone will find out that you've been bullshitting.

Socially, you need to start thinking about your own interests and being more open. If you're too stressed out about being yourself, then it's only natural that the result will be an unpleasant situation for everyone involved, since you'll presenting a version of yourself that's trying way too hard. Most importantly, you need to not worry about being liked.

Some anxiety in social situations is pretty normal. Unless you have a psychiatric concern, some anxiety is not cause for alarm. The important thing is that you need to not spend too much worrying about it, as anxiety can quickly spiral out of control. Whenever you feel yourself worrying that you're being judged, stop yourself and ask "Why would these people think negatively of me, and is it really such a big deal if they do?" Don't worry about a few embarrassing encounters. Everyone has them and chances are that you're the only one who actually remembers it.

Professionally, I can see why that can be stressful. You don't need to overhaul yourself completely, but when someone says "be more professional" what they're saying is to be more forward and confident and to have a sense of initiative, like you're someone a person can trust with completing a task. That could also mean you need to work on cultivating a more professional physical appearance, get a neater haircut and some nice clothes if you haven't already done those things.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Didn't matter anyway. The bastards gave me the wrong day to turn up. I was supposed to be there yesterday, but it clearly said on the email today.

They took my phone number and name, but they won't call back, they'll just blame it on me. Worst part is it was a job at the uni. There's tons of uni jobs, and now I can't get any of them, because now I have a reputation for turning up late.

I feel like bashing everyone's brains in right now. I try so hard to live by their rules, not piss the normal people off, all of that, and it never fucking works.