What superpower would you choose?

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
There's already a thread with the above question, but this thread has a little twist: The power has to be balanced.

See, if you don't add that, then the obvious answer is "omnipotence", unless you honestly don't think you can trust yourself with all that corruption potential.

Now, it's kind of difficult to balance it, so I'm going to set a test for the power:
Given a week to prepare, you should be able to defeat a squad of non-superpowered infantry, but a full platoon and/or a tank should be able to defeat you. Both sets of enemies know your weakness if you have one, and have just as much time to prepare as you do.

You don't have to actually plan out the specific battles, this is just a guideline - the more powerful your power is, the more significant your achilles' heel has to be to counter it.

If you're interested in my own choice, I'd go with cloning/mitosis - being able to split into two separate selves, who act independently, so I can be in two places at once. I can merge back together later, and keep all the memories of the clones combined. The limit would be that I can't split more than four times (so up to 16 selves at once).

So, what power would you choose to have in these circumstances? What weaknesses do you choose, and/or what are the power's limitations?

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
Okay I think I can do this.

I'd have elemental control of fire, ice and lightning.

Downsides being that using them takes an immense drain on my physical energy so I'm exhausted after using it (the more time spent using it, the worse the exhaustion) and without very focused control the elements damage me too (burns and freezes depending on how I use it).

How's that?

Pontus Hashis

Feb 22, 2010
Ability to give pleasure or pain, warmth or cold, and other things like that with my touch.

Don't really see how that could be "unbalanced".

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
HMM...Yeeaaaah there's another thread on this. Ugh.
Maybe put '[With a twist!]' in the title or something.

And...I'm not reaaallyy sure what you're asking? Like, what circumstances?
Sorry to be a bit of a fuck, but...I'm just confused:p.

Superpower...hmm...
I'd like to stop time. That'd be awesome. Then there'll be enough time for procrastination on internet forums when you're supposed to be doing coursework.

Dec 14, 2009
Okay, sounds fun.

I'd have something akin to the 'Devil Trigger' from Devil May Cry.

Immense speed, strength, stamina and health boost as well as the ability to fly and use electricity based projectiles, but it's a form that can't be sustained and takes time to recharge.

So, say for instance, I'm pretty much an unstoppable force for 10 minutes, but I have to wait an hour before I use it again.

So whatever I fight, I have to win quickly or use the last moments of the form to retreat and recover strength.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Use this [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicAndPowers] list if youre stuck for things.

Anyway id choose Summon Magic [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SummonMagic]. Its one thing mastering your Elemental Powers [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ElementalPowers], its another thing summoning beings with the latent instinct of said Elemental Powers [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ElementalPowers], and in the shape of a giant scaly reptile with wings.

As for the limiter, as im fighting by proxy, i dont expect to have to fight at all.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess maybe Invisiblility (including make whatever I'm wearing and holding invisible aswell).
With that in mind my weakeness would be any liquid (paint or rain etc) is splash onto me when I'm invisible (or using smokes) and detecting me without using sight like ultra sound and heat vision. Either will result of them being able to target me despite me being invisible.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Telekinesis: Being move objects, bend them to any shape and fly with my mind is fine by me!

The "Limit" of this power would be like in the movie Chronicle...do something to fast, or try to lift something that is way to fucking big, causes nosebleeds, headaches etc...Ooooh also my powers can't affect living things, however i can throw an object into said living thing...

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
I have to go with super-speed, just to get a feel of it

weakness would be every time i would break out of my super-speed it tears/damages the muscle i was moving causing trauma, internal bleeding and maybe some wide cuts along the skin, all depending on how long i was in the super-speed for.

Limits would be the speed i could move, which i think would be just enough to break the sound barrier.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Pontus Hashis said:
Ability to give pleasure with my touch.
LOL, that would be amusing on a night out...

*Touch*

*Girl orgasms* :')

God my mind...i need sleep.

TheFrost

Feb 4, 2011
How come everyone picks magic powers in this thread, thats my thing dammit! Anyways I would pick ice magic, beeing able to conjure and shape ice out of thin air as I would be able to make and sell ice sculptures for money in my free time... you know when I'm not beeing attacked by millitary squads.

My obvius weakness beeing hot/dry air, where there would be no moisture to conjure the ice from

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Okay, sounds fun.

I'd have something akin to the 'Devil Trigger [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperMode]' from Devil May Cry.

Immense speed, strength, stamina and health boost as well as the ability to fly and use electricity based projectiles, but it's a form that can't be sustained and takes time to recharge.

So, say for instance, I'm pretty much an unstoppable force for 10 minutes, but I have to wait an hour before I use it again.

So whatever I fight, I have to win quickly or use the last moments of the form to retreat and recover strength.
I vividly remember the Devil Trigger [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperMode] elemental boosts varied depending on what Devil Arms you wielded. Present in DMC 1 and 3, not so much in 4 and different system present in 2.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
The psychokinesis from Chronicle seems like a good one. You overexert, you start bleeding like crazy, and you're still human,so everything can still kill you.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
arc1991 said:
Telekinesis: Being move objects, bend them to any shape and fly with my mind is fine by me!

The "Limit" of this power would be like in the movie Chronicle...do something to fast, or try to lift something that is way to fucking big, causes nosebleeds, headaches etc...Ooooh also my powers can't affect living things, however i can throw an object into said living thing...
Ninja'd. I'd go with this too. It just seems like it would be the most useful power. Although I think I'd rather go with the Invisible Woman's force field version of it rather than the usual thought of telekenesis. Off topic, I never got around to seeing Chronicle. How was it?

Dec 14, 2009
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Okay, sounds fun.

I'd have something akin to the 'Devil Trigger [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperMode]' from Devil May Cry.

I vividly remember the Devil Trigger [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperMode] elemental boosts varied depending on what Devil Arms you wielded. Present in DMC 1 and 3, not so much in 4 and different system present in 2.
I like the way they implemented it in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Vergil, for instance, would get a speed boost and a 20% damage boost, while Dante wouldn't get the speed boost, received a 15% damage boost but gained access to certain abilities while in that form (including flight and electricity projectiles). Both would also recover the red portion of their health while in the form (red health can be recovered when that character is tagged out, but DT recovers it while they're in play, and significantly boosts the recovery when tagged out).

The downside is that while in Devil Trigger, neither character can build meter (the bar that allows them to pull of hyper combos), so you've got to build meter first, so you've got enough to fall back on while in DT.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
The ability to plant thoughts in other people's heads. I'd have some of them hear nyan cat for all eternity. Others will get an audiobook of the twilight series.

Actually. That sounds way overpowered.

Maybe get invisibility, but it is only in the shadows. In sunlight, I turn visible again

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
arc1991 said:

Put a third eye on your forehead and you're one of the characters from 666 Satan.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Well, controlling magnetism Magneto-style seems really awesome, with the obvious downside being that I wouldn't be able to control anything that isn't metal. But then again, since I started paying attention to it (after I saw X-Men 3 again a few months ago), I have never met anyone who isn't carrying at least one peace of metal. So I guess to balance it out and to keep the laws of physics happy, it would be limited by my metabolism. So pulling a submarine out of the ocean would mean consecutive trips to McDonalds.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
gigastar said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Okay, sounds fun.

I like the way they implemented it in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Vergil, for instance, would get a speed boost and a 20% damage boost, while Dante wouldn't get the speed boost, received a 15% damage boost but gained access to certain abilities while in that form (including flight and electricity projectiles). Both would also recover the red portion of their health while in the form (red health can be recovered when that character is tagged out, but DT recovers it while they're in play, and significantly boosts the recovery when tagged out).

The downside is that while in Devil Trigger, neither character can build meter (the bar that allows them to pull of hyper combos), so you've got to build meter first, so you've got enough to fall back on while in DT.
For the record, im well aware of how their Devil Triggers work in UMvC3. It also makes an excellent canceller for things like Vergil's Rapid Slash and Dante's Crazy Dance.

In DMC3 (which UMvC3 Dante and Vergil are taken from), you only got new moves for Devil Trigger if you were wielding Nevan. And those were Air Raid, Vortex and Thunderbolt. Otherwise it granted you hitstun resistance, extra speed and slight health regen.

On a side note, in DMC1 its impied that Devil Trigger is impossible for half-demons without an awakened Devil Arm, no problem for Dante who brought Rebellion, Cerberus, Agni & Rudra, Nevan and Beowulf to the party (in UMvC3). And Vergil has Yamato. Depending on what you Devil Arm turns out as, you may want a side of either Implausible Fencing Powers, Improbable Weapon User and Implausible Aiming Skills.