what surgery's have you had?

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
I got appendicitis once so that was worth a trip to the hospital for an emergency appendectomy. Fun fact, it's not advisable to drive while your fever is spiking and your sort of hallucinating because of said fever. Also parking is kinda off the cards too, apparently I sorta just opened the door, fell out of the car and crawled to the door.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
I've had a couple teeth pulled, though, Praise the Sun, my wisdom teeth actually came in flawlessly, so I didn't need to have them removed.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
When I was 16, I was hit by a Ford Explorer that ran a red light on my bicycle. Miraculously, I walked away with just a couple of broken teeth and some scrapes. This was at the peak of physical fitness in my life. I am 5'6" and back then I weighed 135 lbs and could bench press 280. I was short, wide little wall of muscle.

She hit me in my right hip and I was twisting my torso to the right so I could put my hands out and protect my ribs. My hands left dents in her hood. She was going about 30. Then she hit the breaks and threw me a good 20 feet.

I never lost consciousness, as soon as I hit the ground I jumped up and started screaming at her. Time slowed down and I had time enough to get real, real angry over what a stupid asshole would blatantly disregard a traffic signal. I made her cry. Some soccer mom late to pick up the kids. It took a full 60-90 seconds to feel any pain, and when I did my bones on my right side hurt so bad I thought they were broken, so I sat down and pushed on things to see if they moved wrong. They were fine.

At 19, I had some occasional pain in my low/back hip which I mostly ignored since it was so infrequent.

At 23, I was bending over to pick something up and I felt/heard a pop and immediately fell over with excruciating pain all down my left leg and in my back.

I stayed like that for 9 months while I tried chiropractors and talked to lawyers. It was too late to sue the driver they said. I had only asked her to buy me a new bike, pay to get the two teeth that broke fixed, and for the ambulance that came. I refused to go with them but they sent me a bill anyway. I went to the hospital by myself later to get xrays and they said nothing was broken.

I think in total, the lady cut a check for 2500. My back surgery costed 18,000. They said it was too long ago and it would not be able to be proven that it was her fault, but I know it's because where she hit me and my position that my disc basically fell out seven years later. Oh well, you move on. Guess I'm lucky she didn't kill me.

There was an angel watching out for me, but I guess he let my spine get injured to teach me some humility and that I was not indeed invincible after all. Seriously, there was this one guy who came out of nowhere. I just felt a hand on my shoulder and he asked me if I was ok and if I would be needing any more help. He said he saw the whole thing and it looked pretty nasty. I told him I was OK and looked away for a second, and when I looked back he had vanished. I have a photo of it in my mind, there was all this open space in the direction in which he left and he was not there.

Then a van pulled away from one of the pumps, and behind it I saw my dad pumping gas, so I completely forgot about the man who disappeared and limped over to him. He was like what are you doing here? And as I got closer, he could see the blood on my face and the scrapes, the look on his face. I told him the lady in the Explorer over there hit me. He ran over to the driver side window, leaned in and all I heard was "Why you run over my boy!?"

I laughed. He's an Italian immigrant and he speaka the how you say, the broken ah English.

Anyway, I'm coming up on 31 in a week here. I wake up pretty sore every morning but the stiffness clears up in about an hour. I really dread what it's going to feel like in the morning in another 10 or 20 years. I joke that I'm going to get an adamantium spine someday and be short and dangerous like Wolverine.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Ebonrul said:
Retinal Reattachment Surgery.

I used to compete as an amateur kickboxer when I was a freshman in college. At the time, I didn't appreciate the difference between someone who's fighting go get a colored piece of cloth or an approving nod from their teacher, and someone who's fighting to feed their family. While I technically won the fight, both retinas had become partially detached afterward. The "curtain began to fall" as the "screen" that covers the back of my eye started peeling away from the back of my eyeball. That monday I was in surgery.

I remember it because of the damage that was done, reattaching the retina was impossible using a laser. The retina hadn't detached cleanly, but was peeling away in shreds like a price tag. To fix this, they had to remove my eye from the socket, and use a cryo-wand to freeze the retina and shape it, then allow it to thaw/heal intact. Using lasers to reattach the retina would have caused so much scarring that the procedure would have been pointless.

Also, the procedure is performed under local anesthetic, like getting a cavity filled. This means I was awake the whole time for my eye surgery. I "saw" the doctor pull my eye from the socket (not much after that but blobs, but I saw the part that you don't want to see and I distinctly remember grabbing the arms of the chair as my field of vision suddenly "jumped" toward the ceiling) and remember almost all of the surgery.

Not really looking to trump that experience personally.
That is INSANE!!!!
I hope your better now and I guess it's one hell of a story to tell!

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
xDarc said:
When I was 16, I was hit by a Ford Explorer that ran a red light on my bicycle. Miraculously, I walked away with just a couple of broken teeth and some scrapes. This was at the peak of physical fitness in my life. I am 5'6" and back then I weighed 135 lbs and could bench press 280. I was short, wide little wall of muscle.

She hit me in my right hip and I was twisting my torso to the right so I could put my hands out and protect my ribs. My hands left dents in her hood. She was going about 30. Then she hit the breaks and threw me a good 20 feet.

I never lost consciousness, as soon as I hit the ground I jumped up and started screaming at her. Time slowed down and I had time enough to get real, real angry over what a stupid asshole would blatantly disregard a traffic signal. I made her cry. Some soccer mom late to pick up the kids. It took a full 60-90 seconds to feel any pain, and when I did my bones on my right side hurt so bad I thought they were broken, so I sat down and pushed on things to see if they moved wrong. They were fine.

At 19, I had some occasional pain in my low/back hip which I mostly ignored since it was so infrequent.

At 23, I was bending over to pick something up and I felt/heard a pop and immediately fell over with excruciating pain all down my left leg and in my back.

I stayed like that for 9 months while I tried chiropractors and talked to lawyers. It was too late to sue the driver they said. I had only asked her to buy me a new bike, pay to get the two teeth that broke fixed, and for the ambulance that came. I refused to go with them but they sent me a bill anyway. I went to the hospital by myself later to get xrays and they said nothing was broken.

I think in total, the lady cut a check for 2500. My back surgery costed 18,000. They said it was too long ago and it would not be able to be proven that it was her fault, but I know it's because where she hit me and my position that my disc basically fell out seven years later. Oh well, you move on. Guess I'm lucky she didn't kill me.

There was an angel watching out for me, but I guess he let my spine get injured to teach me some humility and that I was not indeed invincible after all. Seriously, there was this one guy who came out of nowhere. I just felt a hand on my shoulder and he asked me if I was ok and if I would be needing any more help. He said he saw the whole thing and it looked pretty nasty. I told him I was OK and looked away for a second, and when I looked back he had vanished. I have a photo of it in my mind, there was all this open space in the direction in which he left and he was not there.

Then a van pulled away from one of the pumps, and behind it I saw my dad pumping gas, so I completely forgot about the man who disappeared and limped over to him. He was like what are you doing here? And as I got closer, he could see the blood on my face and the scrapes, the look on his face. I told him the lady in the Explorer over there hit me. He ran over to the driver side window, leaned in and all I heard was "Why you run over my boy!?"

I laughed. He's an Italian immigrant and he speaka the how you say, the broken ah English.

Anyway, I'm coming up on 31 in a week here. I wake up pretty sore every morning but the stiffness clears up in about an hour. I really dread what it's going to feel like in the morning in another 10 or 20 years. I joke that I'm going to get an adamantium spine someday and be short and dangerous like Wolverine.
I'm sorry for your accident buddy, I'm guessing your American because you had to pay medical bills?
I know it's not much but I guess it could of been a lot worse.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
None.

Absolutely none at all.

I guess that's not that impressive, as I'm still incredibly young, but you'd think I might've broke a leg or something...

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I've had 10+ on my skull due to reconstructive sergerys needed til I stopped growing and if lost sight in my right eye and got a massive scar like a headband on my head

I've lost my apendex which almost burst

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
None at all, that I know of. Unless I had one as a baby that no one ever told me about. o_O

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
I was born with short calves, which means that basically, up until the age of ten I always tip-toed. After a long period of physical therapy and every weird kind of shoe imaginable, they decided "what the hell, that's not gonna go away" and said I needed surgery. They cut through both my achilles heels and put the tips of the diagonally cuts back together so it would grow out longer. To make sure they wouldn't snap, I was forced to sit in a wheelchair for six weeks with both my legs in cast. I still tip-toe XD.

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
I had a surgery when I was around 5-6 for a undescended testicle, I think it might have been for both though...

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Someone's been playing Surgeon Simulator, I see. :)
I had an appendectomy and tonsillectomy. I also got a huge cut on the back of the hand and needed emergency stitching. The scar is somewhat grotesque.
I got lucky with my wisdom teeth. They are too far back to be as useful as the others, but they don't interfere with other teeth, so they're staying.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Lucky me, I haven't ever had someone cut into me before. I was really close to having appendicitis once but it alleviated itself.
It really surprises me how people can get so wrecked with their body.

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
Chalk up another one for wisdom teeth removal.

I also had a reconstructive breast reduction at 18 because my shoulders and spine were started to suffer.

I've also had several cysts removed from my ovaries as well as laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis lesions.

In summary: My lady-bits fail at life. >_<

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Lazer eye surgery.

Best money I've ever spent, it was £1600 which is kind of expensive (but its much more expensive for others) but I was paying £25 a month for contact lenses anyway and it took me from needing glasses/lenses 24/7 to not at all.

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
CrimsonBlaze said:
Not sure if Wisdom Teeth Removal counts as surgery, but I've had that.

Spoiler warning: it sucks. I went under because I don't want to be awake when the docs are doing sensitive, delicate work; I'll just twitch and struggle. When I came to, the procedure was over and I felt HORRIBLE.

I was so out of it I couldn't even stand. I needed help to get out of the dentist's office and for the rest of the day, I was loopy, my lips were sore, I threw up a lot, and I couldn't speak.

It was without a doubt one of the worst days of my life.
I know EXACTLY how you feel. Out of all the medical procedures I've had, and I've had more than just my surgeries, waking up after having my wisdom teeth out was absolutely the worst.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Da Orky Man said:
You know what, I think may have won the thread.

My spine is partially titanium. Due to severe scoliosis, meaning that my spine was curved at about 65 degree in the middle, meant that I had to have surgery to straighten the spine out, and have titanium rods put in to keep it that way. I can no longer bend my spine at all.

Beat that.
Well, it sounds like you're part of the way towards becoming Wolverine. Sure, it's a titanium skeleton, not adamantium, but what can you do.

OT: Just removing my wisdom teeth (with a minor complication where the surgery sites had to be reopened a few days after the operation... that part was more painful than the actual surgery, I swear) and another tooth pulled apart from the wisdom teeth. That's about it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
The only surgery I've had was having my wisdom teeth taken out.

That was an interesting adventure.

Maybe one day I will have lazer eye surgery done that way I don't have to keep spending so much money on my glasses. That and I look forward to the day when I can stop feeling like an idiot when I forget where I put my glasses when I take them off, and they're on my head. >.>

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
DonTsetsi said:
Someone's been playing Surgeon Simulator, I see. :)
I had an appendectomy and tonsillectomy. I also got a huge cut on the back of the hand and needed emergency stitching. The scar is somewhat grotesque.
I got lucky with my wisdom teeth. They are too far back to be as useful as the others, but they don't interfere with other teeth, so they're staying.
I have to say I've seen that game and it looks great fun but I haven't played it.
lucky you in your wisdoms, they are hit or miss pain wise mine holds the trophy for 'worst pain ever' in my life

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
The only surgery I've had was having my wisdom teeth taken out.

That was an interesting adventure.

Maybe one day I will have lazer eye surgery done that way I don't have to keep spending so much money on my glasses. That and I look forward to the day when I can stop feeling like an idiot when I forget where I put my glasses when I take them off, and they're on my head. >.>
I had to start wearing glasses for driving recently do I know the feeling.
my girlfriend, when I met her had awfull eyesight. She got laserd and now has great eyesight!

also I'm left scratching my head at people that wear glasses as a fashion accessory :/

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
I had septic arthritis, which required me to have surgery. I was 10 at the time I think. Was in hospital for a month(ish) I think, most of it was psychical therapy though.
Then I was in a wheelchair for 2 months. (Went to Alton Towers and a wedding in it, was fun.