What terrifies you?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hero of Lime said:
FalloutJack said:
Being attacked by a giant squid that's staring at you with uncomprehending lidless eyes as it snaps you in half.

To explain: Other animals in life glare at you with some sort of recognition. They acknowledge you. Even the predator who's either wary of your presence or about to strike is looking angry or hungry at you. Even sharks look anxious, whales sort of impassive. A squid glares open wide like there's nobody home, and that is the most unnerving look for something that's about to kill you to have. And since they have the biggest eyeball in the world and being in their environment means that you are fucked makes it a terrifying situation from the inherent danger to the emotional shock that squid's just looking right through you as you die.
Yes! I've always been scared of giant squids. Especially since they actually fit the bill as a huge "sea monster." If someone ever catches one and puts it in an aquarium, there is no way I would want to get close to one. It also fits well with my fear of dark, large bodies of water. Their environment fits the description perfectly.

OT: Spiders, rotting corpse zombies, disturbing ghosts/demons, that kind of imagery would scare me in a game if done right.

I also have a real life fear of being blind, in a game or real life, not being able to see would be torturous. I don't think I need to explain a fear of cancer either, not sure how they could translate that into a game. The prospect of getting it scares me to death.
I wouldn't want one in an Aquarium. They might be as smart as octopi, who demonstrate learning behavior through observation. What's to say this squid doesn't hold its 'breath' long enough to sneak outside and grab one of the workers in the late hours of the night?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
FalloutJack said:
I wouldn't want one in an Aquarium. They might be as smart as octopi, who demonstrate learning behavior through observation. What's to say this squid doesn't hold its 'breath' long enough to sneak outside and grab one of the workers in the late hours of the night?
I don't even want to think about it, so creepy. Good thing it's almost impossible to capture one on a camera alive, let alone capture one physically that can escape and snack on someone. ;__;

Apr 17, 2009
Blindness. I just can't imagine how I would cope (clearly its possible to exist as a blind person, because blind people manage it, I just think that I personally would struggle to adapt) and it doesn't help that my shockingly bad eyesight means I'm most of the way there already

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
FalloutJack said:
As I understand it, they are strictly deep sea creatures. The tank would have to be kept at high pressure, to get out, it'd have to breach the tank (which be a problem), and them suffer decompression.

Of course, if it was a zombie giant squid, might not be a problem.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
thaluikhain said:
FalloutJack said:
As I understand it, they are strictly deep sea creatures. The tank would have to be kept at high pressure, to get out, it'd have to breach the tank (which be a problem), and them suffer decompression.

Of course, if it was a zombie giant squid, might not be a problem.
There is some debate on their requirement of pressure, especially because they can't seem to catch one to study it (aside from dead ones that yield limited results). There have been live findings closer to the surface. They're just so damn elusive.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
FalloutJack said:
There is some debate on their requirement of pressure, especially because they can't seem to catch one to study it (aside from dead ones that yield limited results). There have been live findings closer to the surface. They're just so damn elusive.
Yeah...there's one behind you! It snuck away when you looked, it's around somewhere.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
I am scared of heights to the point that playing AC4 gave me a few dizzy spells. I would get a strong sinking sensation in my stomach when I would misjudge a jump and see Edward plummeting to the ground. I wonder how falling in games would work out for me after I get Oculus rift, hehe...

I was scared of the dark when I was wee, but that was a long time ago.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
What if I lost my hands, or if I went blind? Even deafness, how could I live after such a thing?

Also, pain that can't be escaped. Torture. Anything inevitable, really...but just plain old death isn't so bad, it's just bleak. But the thought of having to suffer...awful.

Madness is also really scary. Imagine losing your mental capability. Brain damage, is terrible, too. Basically, all you have after you get old is your memories, and to lose those...it's all pointless.

Yup. Did I mention growing old? That sucks.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
thaluikhain said:
FalloutJack said:
Yeah...there's one behind you! It snuck away when you looked, it's around somewhere.
No no, that was Cthulhu. He's cool. He just wanted another beer.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Deep sea creatures. They are ancient, they are blind, they don't need the light and they are terrifying.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Balloons.

I know that seems like such a minor phobia but I just hate being around them. They squeak, they pop, they feel uncomfortable. Just being near them makes me cringe.

Hebby

Dec 8, 2013
Hmm not especially afraid of anything. Perhaps wasps, but I will do battle with them if needs be.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Deep water - I'm not very good at swimming, even with lessons. Never know what will wanna pull me under and keep me there. I'm not talking about pools, I mean lakes, oceans and the like, where the water tends to be really dark and murky, making visibility even with goggles close to impossible.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
I'm afraid of the dark and cramped places (as in, not being to move as I might wish). Pretty common things, sure, but it even happens in games (in Minecraft, for example, when digging down, I have to make corridor that are at least 2 blocks wide and 3 high). As for the dark, it mostly comes from a fear of being/going blind, as I rely on my eyes, however bad they are, for nearly everything.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
Zhukov said:
Bearing in mind that I live in Australia... spiders.

I don't freak out if I see one sitting on the wall or whatever, but I find it nearly impossible to relax if I know there's one in the room. If I look down and see one touching me or crawling on me, that's when I freak out. Well, actually, that's not quite right. First I get really calm in a very brittle sort of way, flick the bugger off, then I freak the fuck out.

Also, the prospect of living a stagnant life devoid of merit and dying alone and unloved. But I think that would be harder to put in a game.
Pretty much exactly this entire post, except that I don't have the excuse of living in Australia where the spiders are all mental, devil-spawned, multi-eyed freaks.... I'm just a big ole scaredy cat, so any spider that is half the size of my palm or bigger is just.... no. :p
Side note: First post since April, I have to stop disappearing!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Adam Sandler. Nuff said. Or maybe not nuff said depending on the limitations of minimal characters needed to avoid bein told off

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Large bugs. The smaller ones I'm okay with, but once they start approaching the size of my thumb, we've got a problem. I can't help but imagine them leaping onto my face to tear out my eyeballs and lay their eggs in the sockets, or burrowing into my ear to take control of my nervous system. I think I can blame this on my reading/watching/playing a lot of sci-fi and fantasy.

EDIT:
Padwolf said:
Spiders usually creep me out. The dark also scares me, really badly. I can't stand being in darkness unless it's falling asleep. Otherwise I will avoid it as much as possible. What I would see in a game is being in a hallway then all the lights going out one by one. That would really do it. Also if there were spiders in the hallway too. That would make me turn the game off completely.
This too. I am of the opinion that if you're not at least a little afraid of the dark, then you've probably got a shitty imagination.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Snakes. Even though I live in an area with zero venomous ones, I still jump whenever I see them (and I do quite a bit of hiking, so I see them a lot). I keep my friends entertained by jumping around whenever the beasts show up on trail somewhere - I try not to react, but there's just something instinctual that happens when one slithers across my path.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I guess deep waters. There's nothing dangerous in the seas of Sweden as far as I know, but it's still scary to me. Assuming it comes from when I was young, at the familys old summer house. The waters there went from shallow to real-fucking-deep in just a few meters and there were cables(I hope) in the water that made eerie clonking noises. Also almost drowned due to the heavy currents in Tenerife when I was 12.
Freaked me out quite a bit.

Phantom Kat

Sep 26, 2012
Centipedes can fuck off back to whatever demonic hell hole spawned them. People think cockroaches would survive a nuclear holocaust but centipedes are evil fucking hellspawn that would survive, eat the cockroaches, then mutate into giant venomous death machines. They'd then do evil shit like kick puppies and not pay taxes.

I also hate deepish water. It's cold and makes me feel like I'm suffocating. I also don't float very well which makes swimming a *****.