What the Black Ops weapon list should have been

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Leaving aside any comments on whether the game is good/bad etc I was suprised when I saw the actual weapons list for MULTIPLAYER, by some of the additions like the Enfield and Famas but by some of the more glaring missing guns.

Bonus guns are fine but IMO the weapons list was a failure and should at the very least been this:

M14 Rifle
PPSH Submachine Gun
M3 Grease Gun
Thompson M1A1 Submachine Gun
SKS Rifle W/bayonet
Type 56 Assault Rifle W/bayonet
M16A1 (full auto)
XM203 Assault Rifle/Grenade Launcher
M79 Grenade Launcher W/ Flachette rounds
M60 Machine Gun
RPD Machine Gun
DP Machinegun
RPK LMG
TT33 Pistol
Colt 45 Pistol
Generic Pump Action Shotgun
RPG 7
M2 Flame Thrower
Satchel Charge
Stick Grenade trap (RT places stick, RT again places stick with grenade attached and wire between)
Mosin Nagant with PU scope
Winchester 70 with Scope

Now I know some of the above are in the game, but all of these SHOULD have been in the game as a bare minimum. Having things like the Famas is fine but for me they needed to have a solid base of not just Vietnam era weapons but those that were actually used in the conflict and are synonamous with the war. They could have added all the crazy submachine guns and assault rifles if they wanted in addition but they added them as replacements which was a huge mistake for me.

Your thoughts and any additions/removals to the weapons list?

*there was also no where near enough jungle type MP maps with deep foliage to hide in for my taste but that's another tale for another day

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
That's actually not bad. I was expecting much more indulgent list. I think Black Ops, despite being set over many different periods, still want to be a modern game. World War II era games have had their day, just look around at all the new releases - it's all about modern and future warfare. I think your list, though being very good, would date Black Ops as a WWII-era game.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
The problem with that list is that several of the weapons you describe are from World War 2 and onwards, and I mean, c'mon, why use outdated bolt action rifles and submachine guns that couldn't hit the side of a barn if you were leaning against it, when there are fully automatic assault rifles and heavy machine guns.

It would be nice however, to have a "Classic" game mode where everyone uses WW2 weapons.

However, I've just gotta say.

M79 Grenade Launcher W/ Flachette rounds
RPG 7
M2 Flame Thrower
Satchel Charge
Stick Grenade trap (RT places stick, RT again places stick with grenade attached and wire between)
NO NO NO A MILLION TIMES NO.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
I like your list, all the anachronistic guns annoyed me a bit. Fair enough having a few in to spice things up a bit, but they should've done a bit more research.

I never really use all the fancy guns in MP anyway. I stick to the M14, FAL, Galil AK mostly, and use the AUG and PSG1 only as a guilty pleasure :p

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Geekosaurus said:
The problem with that list is that several of the weapons you describe are from World War 2 and onwards, and I mean, c'mon, why use outdated bolt action rifles and submachine guns that couldn't hit the side of a barn
Because that's what was actually used lol? Hell I could have been super accurate and put MP40s Kar98s, Arisaka rifles and type 99s

What they essentially did is comparable to making a WW1 game, throwing in a few WW1 era weapons then going 'fuck it' and putting in MP 40s, M1 garands and panzerfausts

Im not saying it sometimes cant be fu, its just a bit lame and sellout to the Modern Warfare kids

Rossriders

Feb 11, 2010
it may be a cop out, but call me insane to suggest it's a bit of 'Rule of cool', and maybe they wanted to make the game cover a more broader timeline but couldn't, that and the fact given it's black ops, maybe playing around with the idea of what we think came out at a given time or not.

Or I'm just crazy and I need to stick to writing fan-fiction. Seriously, maybe it's because of Modern warfare or because of games such as ARMA or the Project Reality mods (or SWAT 4) that take things a ton more seriously on a given level (save for the voice acting for ARMA/Flashpoint but that's a different rant, plus I need to play those games longer before I can really say much on them), or the before mentioned rule of cool, but part of me feels like I should not stress much on it.

But that's just me...

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Rossriders said:
it may be a cop out, but call me insane to suggest it's a bit of 'Rule of cool'
No amount of cool-ruling can outweigh the idiocy of not realizing what the '74' in AK-74 stands for...

The trump rule of epic fail comes to mind.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
maturin said:
Rossriders said:
No amount of cool-ruling can outweigh the idiocy of not realizing what the '74' in AK-74 stands for...

It is pretty impressive lol

It's more impressive than the fact they put it in the sub-machinegun class

I isn't even nitpicking either, by that standard they should have put shotguns in with the assault rifles

Rossriders

Feb 11, 2010
maturin said:
Rossriders said:

I'm sure Treyarch knows what the 74 in an AK is, as they do the CZ75, or the Enfield and every other gun that has shown up far earlier than they should, say what you will about them, I doubt they are that stupid.

But to each their own opinion, for all that's worth.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
lostzombies.com said:
Geekosaurus said:
The problem with that list is that several of the weapons you describe are from World War 2 and onwards, and I mean, c'mon, why use outdated bolt action rifles and submachine guns that couldn't hit the side of a barn
Because that's what was actually used lol? Hell I could have been super accurate and put MP40s Kar98s, Arisaka rifles and type 99s

What they essentially did is comparable to making a WW1 game, throwing in a few WW1 era weapons then going 'fuck it' and putting in MP 40s, M1 garands and panzerfausts

Im not saying it sometimes cant be fu, its just a bit lame and sellout to the Modern Warfare kids
What I meant was that while it was possible to put the guns in, why? Hardly anyone would use them, as it is a good percentage of the Black Ops community just uses that goddamned AK74.

As I said before, it'd be pretty awesome to have a game mode where you could use WW2 era weapons, but throwing them in with the already overpowered hand cannons present? No thanks, I'll stick to the Commando m'self.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
SlainPwner666 said:
What I meant was that while it was possible to put the guns in, why? Hardly anyone would use them, as it is a good percentage of the Black Ops community just uses that goddamned AK74.

As I said before, it'd be pretty awesome to have a game mode where you could use WW2 era weapons, but throwing them in with the already overpowered hand cannons present? No thanks, I'll stick to the Commando m'self.
You can't really complain about the overusage of the AK74u while rocking the Commando. It's a wee bit hypocritical - the only difference between the two in terms of being overpowered is that you don't get the Commando until much later.

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
RAKtheUndead said:
lostzombies.com said:
The FN FAL makes sense to be in the game, given the time setting, and the fact that it was a mature weapon system with a lot of users. You could possibly justify the presence of a series of bolt-action rifles for the mooks - Lee-Enfields in particular, given the size of the British Empire and their presence in the Far East.

That said, your list is a lot more accurate and appropriate than the one actually in Black Ops.
quoted for truth, one thing that does not make sense to me was the inclusion of the FAMAS, PSG-1, G11 and AUG, considering they were made in the late 70's and cod:black ops is set during the 60's

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
lostzombies.com said:
Geekosaurus said:

Hey, woah! I'm being misquoted. I didn't say this - it was SlainPwner666. I'm well aware that the age of the gun doesn't necessarily correspond to how accurate it is.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
maturin said:
Rossriders said:
Oh, but you're forgetting that because it's a Black Ops game they have access to weapons that aren't yet available to everybody else. It's pathetic.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
SlainPwner666 said:
The problem with that list is that several of the weapons you describe are from World War 2 and onwards, and I mean, c'mon, why use outdated bolt action rifles and submachine guns that couldn't hit the side of a barn if you were leaning against it, when there are fully automatic assault rifles and heavy machine guns.
Because outdated weapons are still used by some Militaries. Take the Lee-Enfield, almost 100 years old and still trusted and sometimes used by the British Army. As well as a Bren Support Weapon.

And I like the list, I was a bit ashamed to see that Treyarch hadn't done the research about Cold War weapons and had just plonked in any old gun.

Wrists

May 26, 2010
Saying Type 56 instead of AKM seems like a bit of a pointless exercise. Chinese ripoffs may be cheaper but they won't necessarily have replaced the real thing in professional armed forces....except, you know, China's armed forces.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Geekosaurus said:
lostzombies.com said:
Geekosaurus said:

Hey, woah! I'm being misquoted. I didn't say this - it was SlainPwner666. I'm well aware that the age of the gun doesn't necessarily correspond to how accurate it is.
lol quote God needs a sacrifice!