What The Cluck? Science Can Now Unboil Eggs

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Baresark said:
I love the lay terms this article uses. You can say it: When you cook an egg the protein bond goes from a primary bond to a tertiary bond, which is what makes them hard. :p
Eh. I imagine people are more familiar with the idea of proteins folding, because of Folding@Home.

V4Viewtiful said:
We'll ht a peak when we can unslice bread, methinks :p
But sliced bread is already the greatest thing ever; why would you want to turn it back into its inferior counterpart?

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
But sliced bread is already the greatest thing ever; why would you want to turn it back into its inferior counterpart?
To give yourself a bigger handle so you can slice the same bread even thinner, and thus end up with even MORE pieces of sliced bread?

OT: So, this projected reduction in expenses will TOTALLY be passed onto the consumers, right? I'm SURE that most biotech companies are altruistic enough to not continue to gouge the people who depend on their products to live.

CriminalScum

Mar 17, 2012
Wait a minute, so if you can return a boiled egg to normal, what's to say you can't, say, return a burn victim to normal?

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
gigastar said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
I read about this- Apparently it involves urea, so you probably wouldn't want to eat one.
Urea itself isnt the problem. Though it does smell.

Its simply that all the sugars and protiens in your piss makes a prime breeding ground for things that are a problem.
I don't know much about medicine and all, but aren't sugar and protein in your piss a sign of problem worse than some bad smell or even the things that might breed in it?

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
CriminalScum said:
Wait a minute, so if you can return a boiled egg to normal, what's to say you can't, say, return a burn victim to normal?
Or un-mince meat, for that matter?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Fulbert said:
gigastar said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
I read about this- Apparently it involves urea, so you probably wouldn't want to eat one.
Urea itself isnt the problem. Though it does smell.

Its simply that all the sugars and protiens in your piss makes a prime breeding ground for things that are a problem.
I don't know much about medicine and all, but aren't sugar and protein in your piss a sign of problem worse than some bad smell or even the things that might breed in it?
No, its totally normal. The body expels (by urination) sugars it doesnt have time to process and store as fat, and various kinds of protien that are waste products of cellular processes.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
They missed a trick with the title; just uncapitalise the "c" in "cluck" and it will look almost like "duck."
Granted, this would please no one but me, however...keep it in mind for any future articles involving clucking :)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Olrod said:
Who and/or what determines the monetary value of these misfolded proteins?
Purified proteins have a market value based on the cost and time it takes to purify them. I guess the monetary value comes from estimating the yields they could be getting compared to what they are getting now minus the cost of implementing this new system.

Where exactly are they getting "$160 billion" from?
$160 billion is the size of the global biotechnology industry. Now you may ask how does this tell us how much biotechnology firms are going to save? The answer is that it doesn't. This number was not intended to estimate how much biotechnology firms would save in either the CBS article or the original research paper. Thank you for asking critical questions.