What the Duck, Bohemia?

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
So. I just found out about the new ArmA 3 Helicopters DLC. It adds 3 helicopters, alongside and update that allows sling loading on existing helicopters and shooting out of vehicles (finally and fuck yes!)

However, while the update is free, the DLC is £10.99. Let that sink in. £10.99 for 3 helicopters. What. The. Gibbering. Fuck.

That ArmA 2 expansions were (correct me if I am wrong) £12.99 and you got what was basically a whole other game. What the bloody hell happened here? Obviously there isn't much in the way of discussion value here, it was more of a 'I need to spread word of this nonsense'.

However, I can ask, what do you/have you thought of Bohemia Interactive? Does this change your opinion? It's a developer that I haven't noticed been talked about much around here, so it might be nice to get some opinions going.

Personally I always thought BI were alright, and ArmA 2 and 3 are great games, certainly the best war games. Now I am starting to think that maybe they are cunts. Maybe. We'll see.

PS: If anyone out there believes that this is, in fact, reasonable, do say so, so that I can judge you for it.

Captcha: "sorry dave" It's not your fault, Captcha, but thanks anyway. And my name's not Dave.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Not going to lie, thought this was going to be an Europa Universalis rant about the country of Bohemia.

Tyran107

Nov 14, 2008
I have to agree with the OP on this. 15.99 for what amounts to some new models and a sling system that I'm sure the modding community will make a version of that's 100 times better and free. Between this, the karts, and the planned marksman dlc I feel like Bohemia is turning into a AAA dev trying to nickle and dime everyone for stupid shit.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Ryotknife said:
Not going to lie, thought this was going to be an Europa Universalis rant about the country of Bohemia.
That's a shame, because Bohemia punked out of a war where they were my ally and a huge part of my plan and I needed to get that off my chest. Folded like a lawn chair they did.

Although that's almost relevant, since Paradox does a similar thing with a host of 2$ DLCs that give an extra model or two to a handful of countries. It's strange because I feel like it's too much and I'm being suckered into it, but then that's entirely my fault since they're purely cosmetic.

Anywho, I can't really say much about the situation with ArmA. I don't know how much time and effort it takes to make helicopters or how much they add to the game, or even if it splits the playerbase. But if it's too much for you then all you can do is try to make it apparent. Hopefully (for you) the people who buy it anyway won't inflate Bohemia's ego too much.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Clowndoe said:
Ryotknife said:
That's a shame, because Bohemia punked out of a war where they were my ally and a huge part of my plan and I needed to get that off my chest. Folded like a lawn chair they did.

Although that's almost relevant, since Paradox does a similar thing with a host of 2$ DLCs that give an extra model or two to a handful of countries. It's strange because I feel like it's too much and I'm being suckered into it, but then that's entirely my fault since they're purely cosmetic.

Anywho, I can't really say much about the situation with ArmA. I don't know how much time and effort it takes to make helicopters or how much they add to the game, or even if it splits the playerbase. But if it's too much for you then all you can do is try to make it apparent. Hopefully (for you) the people who buy it anyway won't inflate Bohemia's ego too much.
Yeah, I was expecting a CK2 post. I've been playing with the new Charlemagne DLC and my Pictish dynasty will probably rule all of Christendom by 900 or so, but if the Vikings and Abbasids continue to stay completely immune to internal conflict. And Bohemia's enormous, it's basically everything between Bavaria and the Byzantines. They keep imprisoning missionaries I send to them.

I never bother with the cosmetic unit DLCs, I don't much look at the units. Faces I sometimes do, because I play a game of murder and marriages most of the time.

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
I think maybe being lauded as genius forerunners in REAL WURLD MIL'TARY SILUMASHUN for making what's basically a much buggier Mercenaries with no fun parts may have gone to their heads. I never did get the Arma mania to begin with. But yeah, the cost of a hot dinner for three pretend helicopters is pretty goddamn dumb.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Although I don't play ARMA myself (although I was certainly tempted) I went onto Steam in order to check the price in CAD. Primarily to give it perspective since I'm unaware of the exchange rate between Pounds and the Canadian dollar. It was $18.00. Like you said, to charge that much for three helicopters is absolutely insane. I've bought major story-based DLCs in the past that didn't cost that much.

I'm not sure what's going on at Bohemia but it seems like they should know better than to charge so much for such a small amount of content.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Clowndoe said:
or even if it splits the playerbase.
By this I assume you mean split them/us into people who have it and people who don't, and if those who don't can play in games with those who have the DLC enabled.

Well from what I remember about what I've read, it seems to work like this: People without the DLC can play in games with the DLC in them, and even use the vehicles (like in the Carts DLC). But there are limitations. They can't pilot, only ride passenger, and every so often a message pops up on screen asking you to buy it, and I believe that this message pops up with increased frequency the longer you use the DLC without purchasing it. Disclaimer, I may be wrong there, but I don't think I am.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Rayce Archer said:
I think maybe being lauded as genius forerunners in REAL WURLD MIL'TARY SILUMASHUN for making what's basically a much buggier Mercenaries with no fun parts may have gone to their heads. I never did get the Arma mania to begin with. But yeah, the cost of a hot dinner for three pretend helicopters is pretty goddamn dumb.
Wow, let's just insult games that you don't personally get into because they doing something differently. Fuck them for trying to be different; all shooters should be hollywood movie cod ripoffs!

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
clippen05 said:
Rayce Archer said:
Wow, let's just insult games that you don't personally get into because they doing something differently. Fuck them for trying to be different; all shooters should be hollywood movie cod ripoffs!
Because that's so clearly what I said.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Rayce Archer said:
clippen05 said:
Rayce Archer said:
Because that's so clearly what I said.
In quotes 'REAL WURLD MIL'TARY SILUMASHUN'. And there is literally no other way that you can spin that; its clear that you were mocking combat simulator games. I bet you're one of those people that say that if people are so interested in simulation, they should go join the army.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you should belittle it.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Kalezian said:
he's probably one of those CoD babies that doesn't realize that VBS [Virtual Battle System] 1 and 2 that are used by the Marine Corps is a modded version of Operation Flashpoint and Arma.
Not really and you've got it backward.

VBS and the BI OpF and ArmA titles share the same heritage (the Real Virtuality engine) but VBS 1 was around before any OpF game. If I remember rightly, VBS 1 came first, then 2 OpF games, then VBS 2, then OpF:Resistance... then VBS 2.5 then the ArmA titles.

Funny thing, BI have found that their VBS clients prefer low-sh quality graphics for training sims as high quality graphics tends to put their people into 'gamer mode' and they play it as a game rather than as a training sim. Bohemia Interactive actually put out a very interesting paper on it.

Do I have to point out the hilarious contrast of military organisations like the USMC and the Australian Army using VBS where the US Army is currently using a modded CryEngine sim last I heard?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ambitiousmould said:
What the bloody hell happened here?
Beyond the obvious "Call of Duty or [other big franchise here] did it," I do think something needs to be mentioned:

people voted with their wallets.

The consumer has made this an acceptable practice, so you're going to see it spread.