What the heck is going on here?

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Can someone help me? For some reason my Windows Media Player won't play AVI files anymore even though it was working just fine, let's say, about a week ago and yesterday all I get is a visual thing (the thing you see when you play music) I can still hear the audio just not the visual, what could have happened?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Just download VLC. Fuck WMP.
I'm surprised to find myself agreeing with Smash.

...but to fix your problem I can only think of reinstalling it or downloading new codec packs, but since I've been using VLC for years now I don't know if that's even really relevant anymore.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
Pretty much just this. WMP works well for music, but it just doesn't like visual media.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Smash couldn't be more correct if...he did something that is associated with correctness somehow. On both accounts. Seriously, WMP is bad and makes me feel bad for having it. And I'm under Linux at the moment (I'm dual booting with Windows, though).

VLC is da boss.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
This will solve all your problems.

VLC is buggy and weird sometimes, especially if you want to watch anything with subtitles. Uninstall any codec packs you might have downloaded (K-lite is the devil), then install CCCP and run MPC HC (it comes with the pack).

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Irrespective of what mireko, K-Lite Codec Pack is a fantastic option. It installs all the relevant codec packs, it even has its own media player, Media Player Codec, a call back to the Windows 98 era media player. It's simple, works with every video format out there without any hassle.

So I say, K-Lite Codec Pack. =D

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
mireko said:
VLC is buggy and weird sometimes, especially if you want to watch anything with subtitles.
Never ever had a problem with it. Well, it crashed probably a dozen times. A dozen times in total. I've been using it for more half a dozen years. For year and a half I hadn't updated it, it was some beta version and it still played anything I threw at it. At that point I was playing around with videos and also had been testing like 20 video players continuously. Basically, VLC would play anything. If it couldn't play the file, then it was damaged beyond repair. The K-Lite codec pack player (media Playe Classic, I think) was the second best but it was nowhere near as accepting as VLC. It could play some corrupted files but VLC almost never complained. And I must stress again - that was an old version of VLC - at that point it was several major releases back. I hadn't updated it because I never felt the need.

I'm somewhat convinced that VLC something like the messiah of video players.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
DoPo said:
mireko said:
VLC is buggy and weird sometimes, especially if you want to watch anything with subtitles.
Never ever had a problem with it. Well, it crashed probably a dozen times. A dozen times in total. I've been using it for more half a dozen years. For year and a half I hadn't updated it, it was some beta version and it still played anything I threw at it. At that point I was playing around with videos and also had been testing like 20 video players continuously. Basically, VLC would play anything. If it couldn't play the file, then it was damaged beyond repair. The K-Lite codec pack player (media Playe Classic, I think) was the second best but it was nowhere near as accepting as VLC. It could play some corrupted files but VLC almost never complained. And I must stress again - that was an old version of VLC - at that point it was several major releases back. I hadn't updated it because I never felt the need.

I'm somewhat convinced that VLC something like the messiah of video players.
I used to use VLC exclusively until I tried to watch a movie subtitled a few years ago. It would get about half an hour into it, then crash. MKVs and h.264 video tended to be weird and broken too. Checking online didn't seem to help, as it seemed to be a bug they hadn't fixed yet. After installing CCCP/MPC HC, everything worked just fine. VLC does usually work (I've still got it installed on my computer in case everything else fails), I'm just saying that CCCP/MPC HC has always worked a lot better for me.

K-Lite, meanwhile, made the WMP plugin for my browser crash every time I tried to open a page with an embedded video. That's not as big of a problem now, maybe, but it was very annoying at the time.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
comrade you need the CCCP!
http://www.cccp-project.net
solves all codec problems in one file!
also if that doesn't work you can always try VLC (I prefer MPC-HC with the CCCP installed over VLC but it sometimes bugs)