what the hell happened to runescape?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ok so I logged in after mabye...hmm a year or so

and I swear it was somthing out of a horror movie, pretty much 99% of people running around were bots, it was insane

I only came across 2 real people, I know bots were around before but it was never anywhere near this bad, it was like wandering around in a world full of zombies, I mean isnt the Idea of playing online having real people to interact with?

now granted I dont know what members is like and I didnt play that long/go to many worlds but it just seems insane

anyone played recently or currently? is it as bad as it seems?

Timzilla

Mar 26, 2010
I would imagine, now that all these MMOs are going free to play, Runescape can compete, and now the bots are there to make the world seem full to try and get some subscribers back.

Just my 2 cents.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Timzilla said:
I would imagine, now that all these MMOs are going free to play, Runescape can compete, and now the bots are there to make the world seem full to try and get some subscribers back.

Just my 2 cents.
I dont know, I would imagine a bot is the best way to deter epople, nothing is more depressing than being the only real person in a sea of zombies

someone in-game explained to me that they stoped kicking out bots or somthing because they were still paying membership

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
This sounds like some sort of nerd horror movie.
An overcrowded, busy, noisy world with no room for you. Yet youre entirly alone.

Kevak

Sep 8, 2010
I maxed out magic and got both spellbooks about three months before they removed the wilderness and added trade limits, soon quit after I realized everything was boring because I could kill anyone within only a few rounds with the Lunar book, I came back about a month into the wilderness removal and hated it and left again, even though they recently added it again along with removed the trade limits, the damage had been done, most vets including me refuse to keep playing.

Yggdraz0r

Jun 7, 2009
For a game I played for about 20 minutes some 6 years ago.. they are pretty persistant.

Bastards suddennly start spamming my inbox, wanting my account.

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
The bots came back due to the unlocking of free trade. Runescape is a literal gold mine for bots, and it's almost impossible to stop them.

Just look at the great job Blizzard is doing stopping the gold trade. They're failing, and china is still mass-hiring people to sit there and grind, day after day.

I'll admit, Runescape is falling. I used to love the game, played it for years. It was unique and interesting, and I LOVED the quests. Every one was well detailed and crafted, a work of art. The first time I did the Romeo and Juliet quest, I swear I had a nerdgasm. When I had to retrieve the mythical Excalibur and slay the nefarious demon, I was enchanted by the beauty of it. Gearing up and taking on Elvrag to unlock the right to wear a RUNITE PLATE was intoxicating. I remember the time that Jagex released the "Dragon Plate", being a literal plate that you spin. I thought it was an actual platemail, much to my dismay. It was hilarious. The quest where you had to sneak into the Dark Knight's castle and plant a poisoned cabbage into their stew was AWESOME! It was an honestly fun game. I loved how I could be ANYTHING...If I wanted to be a mage one day, I could! I could also be a warrior, or whatever I wanted. A spell slinging ranger? Hell yes! Most MMO's focus on "Classes" and "Tiers", with preset skills and almost all content based on combat. Do any here remember the time they got their first random event? Suddenly having a demon pop up, and teleport you away to a boot camp was hilarious. Or, not so hilarious when you got the Random Event that summoned a massive plant that...kinda killed you. Good thing they removed that.

I remember training all the skills. From herbology to thieving, it was awesome. I even had fun training Agility, running through the minigame courses. There was honestly nothing like participating in an intense PvP duel, with all risks and all reward. Running out into level 30 wilderness with my DDS and Granite maul, just to get ganked by some guys using the Rock Ring to hide as stones was frustrating but fun. The first time I descended into the deepest wilderness and slaughtered a troupe of high levels was insane! It was addicting. I lost lots, yet I gained lots.

This is a lot of posting. I miss Runescape. I wish I had the time in life to play it, but I don't. Growing up kinda sucks.

Please don't flame me

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
I remember playing that, didn't knew it got so bad though.
I do still however want to resurrect my grand scheme to hack me billions of gold and then spend it all at the marketplace till hyperinflation brings their whole economy down.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Runescape isn't failing. People are just losing hope in it for little to no reason.
Seriously, did you see the flaming that happened when they released a Refer-A-Friend system?

A bunch of elitist whiners on the forums and a bunch of snobby billionaires at the Grand Exchange are what's killing Runescape.
It's not Mark Gerhard or lack of vision or the investors controlling updates; it's the whiny bitches.

That said, I still play and love Runescape. If you play with a friend, it's much less depressing.
My friend and I stood face to face in front of the Grand Exchange with katanas acting like we were guards for hours.
We would ask people stupid riddle questions like "What is the square root of a potato".
Another time we slayed a few goblins then pretended to notify their next of kin in Goblin Village dressed in army outfits (maam, I'm afraid I have some terrible news. your husband was killed by a random newb with a fire spell. He was mugged and his bones were pilfered.)

Humdrum activities while playing solo can become immersive epics of hilarity and awesomeness with a friend.
That said, it's the community that makes that game fun. Find a good clan and you'll be having fun in no time.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Klagermeister said:
We would ask people stupid riddle questions like "What is the square root of a potato".
According to Yahoo Answers, the answer to that question is Boa.

Boa is the square root of Potato. Now let me in, please!

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Farmville happened...same game, more casual...wait for Transformers game by Jagex, then you'll be able to farm tires and engine valves...

Random Encounter

Feb 17, 2011
RuneScape recently brought back the the original Pvp wilderness and Unlimited Trade. I'm guessing it was to attract more people and hopefully get retired players to return.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I thought what happened was that everyone got bored of it around '04.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Klagermeister said:
Runescape isn't failing. People are just losing hope in it for little to no reason.
Seriously, did you see the flaming that happened when they released a Refer-A-Friend system?

A bunch of elitist whiners on the forums and a bunch of snobby billionaires at the Grand Exchange are what's killing Runescape.
It's not Mark Gerhard or lack of vision or the investors controlling updates; it's the whiny bitches.

That said, I still play and love Runescape. If you play with a friend, it's much less depressing.
My friend and I stood face to face in front of the Grand Exchange with katanas acting like we were guards for hours.
Another time we slayed a few goblins then pretended to notify their next of kin in Goblin Village dressed in army outfits (maam, I'm afraid I have some terrible news. your husband was killed by a random newb with a fire spell. He was mugged and his bones were pilfered.)

Humdrum activities while playing solo can become immersive epics of hilarity and awesomeness with a friend.
That said, it's the community that makes that game fun. Find a good clan and you'll be having fun in no time.
hahaha that sounds hilarious (Ive done eaqualy stupid things too) years ago two people were having an argument and I hung around and followed them, making it clear I was eating pop-corn and being entertained, they were relaly offended

BUT Im not criticizing the game..Ive been around on and off even through the wilderness thing

I think it was a year since I last logged in, and the thing is..from the little I played there were NO real playes..jsut bots everywhere, literally, I could tell because no one would talk, ever, that was part of the apeal to be ablwe to talk and strike up conversations with anyone

from what I remember it was NEVER this bad, even before they cracked down on bots..I must have started around 2004

its no longer a game its a pathetic factory..a zombie wasteland, what the hell happened?

Souplex

Jul 29, 2008
Vault101 said:
Klagermeister said:

hahaha that sounds hilarious (Ive done eaqualy stupid things too) years ago two people were having an argument and I hung around and followed them, making it clear I was eating pop-corn and being entertained, they were relaly offended

BUT Im not criticizing the game..Ive been around on and off even through the wilderness thing

I think it was a year since I last logged in, and the thing is..from the little I played there were NO real playes..jsut bots everywhere, literally, I could tell because no one would talk, ever, that was part of the apeal to be ablwe to talk and strike up conversations with anyone

from what I remember it was NEVER this bad, even before they cracked down on bots..I must have started around 2004

its no longer a game its a pathetic factory..a zombie wasteland, what the hell happened?
You playing member or non-member?
Let's hop in the way-back machine for a moment.
Back when I was a lad, I played for a bit on non-member servers, then moved on to member servers. In that time, I encountered two bots, and both were killed by random events.
Have the bots figured out a way to avoid being beaten to death by drunken dwarves and rock golems?

Strid

Oct 24, 2009
Souplex said:
Back when I was a lad, I played for a bit on non-member servers, then moved on to member servers. In that time, I encountered two bots, and both were killed by random events.
Have the bots figured out a way to avoid being beaten to death by drunken dwarves and rock golems?
They removed the random events that could kill you or break your equipment because too many people complained about them, pretty stupid in my opinion.

OT: A friend of mine who's level 120 or so still plays Runescape, he's a member and he says that he doesn't see too many bots there and that they're all in the non-member worlds.

Souplex

Jul 29, 2008
Strid said:
Souplex said:
They removed the random events that could kill you or break your equipment because too many people complained about them.
And that's why you have Bots.
[HEADING=1]/thread.[/HEADING]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Souplex said:
Vault101 said:
Klagermeister said:

it was never this bad in non members

havnt played member though, aprently its pretty bad too

I think its a serious problem and Im perplexed they have allowed it considering all they have done to prevent it

Souplex

Jul 29, 2008
Vault101 said:
Souplex said:
Vault101 said:
Klagermeister said:

it was never this bad in non members

havnt played member though, aprently its pretty bad too

I think its a serious problem and Im perplexed they have allowed it considering all they have done to prevent it
From what I'm told all they do is fold to people who complain about things without understanding why they're there.
I'm told they restricted chat and trade.
I am told they removed random events and the wilderness.

What happened to Runescape is that Jagex listened to their fans a bit too much as opposed to the people who knew what they were talking about.