What the hell is it with the Fray?

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
No. Stop. Do not blindly defend the band the Fray just because you like them. They have released two albums in 6 years. That seems fine, ok for a new band, but consider one that releases an album every 2 years on schedual.

I listened to one of their albums constantly for one month, and now whenever I hear some crap relating to them I get sick. Why the fuck is "How to Save a Life" so popular? What makes it so? Is it about abandonment? Alot of their songs are about that. Is it about... eh?

No. Listen. They are not good. I got rid of them after a month of taking up space on my iPod. All of their songs are the same. Not literally, but they are in approximately the same tune, are about the same thing, and seem to ***** about "Oh, waah, my life sucks, waah, it's not my fault."

Listen, they suck because they're famous off of ONE song. Breaking Benjamin is not as famous, but they have double the variety for the same cost as both of the Fray albums. Breaking Benjamin is good. They have some whiny songs, but their musical variety is beautiful. "Shallow Bay"/ "Medicate" can be followed by "Diary of Jane"/"Rain" perfectly. After about 16 songs, the Fray has finished the concert.

I don't want you blindly defending a group because you like them. Don't just say "You're wrong". Tell me why I'm wrong. Tell me, and I can misprove it. I've had it with these motherfucking Fray on these motherfucking iPods.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I agree dude, The Fray blows. That fucking song you mention gets played where I work (a big chain retail store) so you *know* that's a shitty band.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
What pisses me off is blowing off what a teacher says to listen to that one song. I've seen it happening tothe guy next to me, but he got yelled at for asking a death-metal head if he had the Fray on his iPod.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
People like it because they have different opinions to you. Just because you think they're crap doesn't mean it's a fact. Levels of quality are objective, it varies from person to person. Some people think the Nazis were good. Some people think racial equality is bad. Ok, granted, those two are the same group (and they deserve a slap), and it's a pretty extreme comparison, but the point remains; the majority decides what happens in the world, and if they want to hear the Fray, they will, and there is nothing you, or anyone else, can do about it short of killing everyone who doesn't agree with you, putting you in with the Nazis.

PS: I didn't mean to sound so agressive when I typed that out, but bugger it, I can't be bothered to go back and change it.

Russian Redneck

Apr 21, 2008
x434343 said:
No. Stop. Do not blindly defend the band the Fray just because you like them.
That's usually why people defend their favorite bands, myself included. :/

However, I'm not defending The Fray here, since "How To Save A Life" is the only song I have on my iPod, and I don't even listen to it very often anymore. However, I will defend the song by saying that is has a very low-key, borderline soothing melody that steadily picks up in pace and tone. It's a tried and true form that has worked wonders for rock ballads and it usually works. It's a ballad about losing someone close to you and if that doesn't appeal to your tastes, then tough cookies. Go find another song to listen to.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
However much they suck, they make more money than you.

and they really suck, so does it hurt you?

that aside, i would ask if it is more effective to question why a band is popular, or what makes it more popular than the competition? (other potential bands)

if we understand that, perhaps we can understand them, and those who like them.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
I seem to remember an Economist article about the major music labels putting the songs they're looking at into some program that can almost 100% accurately predict if the song will be popular. Don't as me how but that's what I remember.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
x434343 said:
Why the fuck is "How to Save a Life" so popular? What makes it so? Is it about abandonment? Alot of their songs are about that. Is it about... eh?
One of the factors is that particular song got played in 'poignant moments' in various medical shows. You know what people are like. They hear something that suits the mood and it makes it great.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I saw them live at V last year, and my god, they were terrible. The worst live band I have ever seen. The singer's voice was off-key, the drums sounded terrible, you couldn't hear the bass...
Could that have just been the festival sound setup though? rather than the band

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Is that the song where the guy just whines into a mic for three or four minutes and wears a tee-shirt and jeans in the video and now his album has gone platinum?

What do you mean that's all music now?

- J

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
I strongly dislike the Fray. I generally don't like that type of music though. It's too boring and produced. I like sincerity and talent with my music.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Russian Redneck said:
x434343 said:
No. Stop. Do not blindly defend the band the Fray just because you like them.
That's usually why people defend their favorite bands, myself included. :/
*da da tsh*
So then the Fray. What can i say other than crap, well: Really crap, really really crap, really really really crap. ect.

Necrohydra

Jan 18, 2008
Joeshie said:
Every band you like sucks and only the bands I like are good.
The general sum of every single argument on matters of personal preference...minus the name-calling.

TobyMobias

Jan 5, 2008
My mum LOVES "How To Save A Life" and it's her second favourite song on SingStar (After "I Want You To Want Me"), so I, unfortunately, was forced to listen to and learn the lyrics to it or face matriarchal pwnage.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
TobyMobias said:
My mum LOVES "How To Save A Life" and it's her second favourite song on SingStar (After "I Want You To Want Me"), so I, unfortunately, was forced to listen to and learn the lyrics to it or face matriarchal pwnage.
LMAO "matriarchal pwnage" has to be the coolest phrase I've ever heard