What the hell is S rank, anyway?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
There's a lot of words beginning with S that could describe how awesome you are ;D

Super, supreme, superb, sexy, star or special. Any of those!

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
SimuLord said:
I always thought of it as Engrish: The Japanese saw the S on the front of Superman's outfit and thought "OK, gaijin like S. We give them S."

But I know there's got to be more to it than that.
But most people in localization are normally native speakers...

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Sleekgiant said:
Lullabye said:
I always assumed it stood for "Shut in". As in, you need to get out more.
>_> Damn ninja I was gonna say "S" for Sad, seriously put down this racing game now.
*cough*
As shall I.....right...after....this....LAAAAAAAPPPP! BOOYEAH!
UH, UH! Who's your daddy!
..........I'm done now.

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
its also in naruto used for , S rank missions or S rank ninjutsu, in which naruto has one what ever rating it is its seen as very high and dangerious

ENKC

May 3, 2010
I just assumed it stood for 'special' and devoted my mental energy to things that matter.

Sep 14, 2009
SimuLord said:
Hazy said:
I always though of it as "Super."

Granted, I could easily be wrong.
I always thought of it as Engrish: The Japanese saw the S on the front of Superman's outfit and thought "OK, gaijin like S. We give them S."

lolll

OT: your question does make sense, if your gonna go on a scale, where A is the best letter, and the FIRST letter...why in the hell is S put in front?!?!?

thats like back in B.C. when they were scared shitless what would happen when they reached 1....OH SHIT WHAT DO WE DO?!!?!?

PUT AN 'S' THERE! IT JUST MIGHT WORK!

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Naheal said:
SimuLord said:

But most people in localization are normally native speakers...
While that's true, the English letter S appears in the original Japanese versions as often as not.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
SimuLord said:
Perhaps the Japanophiles can riddle me this:

What's with the use of the letter S in ranking systems in Japanese games? Every time I've played one it's always seemed to be E, D, C, B, A, S for letter-grade rankings, and I JUST DUN GEDDIT!

At least Mario Kart makes a measure of sense, where if you do better than A, you get up to three stars, and It Is Always Stars. But S? The hell?
Someones been playing Radiant Dawn! It stands for Schutz and when it goes SS it stands for Schutzstaffel.

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
I prefer what they use in the DMC games, Smokin', Sweet or Stylish!

Although that may be different from what you're thinking about...

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010
Well I've only ever seen S rank in one game.. which was dead or alive 4. But that game also had an SS rank too.. hmm

Aug 25, 2009
According to my very brief research, it stems from Japanese educational culture, where they don't have A Stars as grades, and anything below a C is complete failure. In order to distinguish people who got 100 percent or more as a result of bonuses they introduced the S Rank. An A is 95% and above, whereas an S is perfection.

Basically ever since then everyone has been trying to determine exactly what the S stands for, when probably it was just chosen at random or as a stand in for the 'official' letter.

In other words, it doesn't mean anything. The same way that technically EA,B,C,D,E,F don't 'mean' anything, they're arbitrary numbering systems.

You might as well make 10 louder. :p

go nana go

May 24, 2010
A better question:
What does 'A' even stand for?
Things don't NEED meaning.

You don't wonder what the C rank means, or E rank or A rank, they're not words and they have no names.
S looks cool, and If you want to surprise the player with a hidden REAL top rank, you cant have everything stop at b and the big bad is a SURPIRSE! A rank threat, it would be easy to see coming that there is still something higher when everything in the game stops at a B rank. An S rank eliminates this, You don't know if the game uses S rank or not until it happens.

Also, S-rank looks way cooler than A-rank.