what the hell will they do for mass effect 4 * spoilers* * spoilers*

thekillerseat

Sep 23, 2012
I got all the mass effects for xmas and loved it. I just finished ME3 and then i heard they were making another mass effect, and i was thinking to myself what the hell are they going to do since they killed of Shepard and all 3 endings are completely different

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Bwuh...?

Is this...

I'd better carefully examine my surroundings and make sure I'm not being Punk'd...

OT: Hopefully it wouldn't be focused on Shepard or the Reapers in any way at all. I'd also like the ability to make the MC a Quarian/Turian/Krogan/Asari/whatever else, instead of just yet another boring human.

Hopefully it won't be called Mass Effect 4, either.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Bwuh...?

Is this...

I'd better carefully examine my surroundings and make sure I'm not being Punk'd...

OT: Hopefully it wouldn't be focused on Shepard or the Reapers in any way at all. I'd also like the ability to make the MC a Quarian/Turian/Krogan/Asari/whatever else, instead of just yet another boring human.

Where have you been? There is definitely a Mass Effect 4 in the works. What is unclear is what it will be about, or if they've even storyboarded it yet.

Casey Hudson is still in charge.

It will not involve Shepard in any way.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
shrekfan246 said:
Bwuh...?

Is this...

Where have you been? There is definitely a Mass Effect 4 in the works. What is unclear is what it will be about, or if they've even storyboarded it yet.

Casey Hudson is still in charge.

It will not involve Shepard in any way.
I know they're working on another Mass Effect game.

Calling it 4 would be silly, especially if it bears no narrative connection to Shepard's trilogy outside of taking place in the same universe. Not that it'll stop them... after all, just look at Halo 4...

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
shrekfan246 said:

Calling it 4 would be silly, especially if it bears no narrative connection to Shepard's trilogy outside of taking place in the same universe. Not that it'll stop them... after all, just look at Halo 4...
Oh, that. Who knows. They'll probably call it Mass Effect Next or something equally insufferable.

Hawkeye 131

Jun 2, 2012
A very good question to ask good sir! I've thought a little bit about this just last week. I think it will be one of three things;

1) They make one of the "original" three endings canon and disregard the others

2) It's a prequel

3) It takes place sometime in-between or even during the events of one of the original three games

All of these options have been discussed on the BioWare Social Network to great length. Personally as much as I despise Mass Effect 3 I wouldn't mind seeing another Mass Effect game. That being said it certainly won't be a Day-1 buy for me, I'll remain very skeptical of anything BioWare does from here on out. If I had to bet, I'd say it'll end up being a prequel. I honestly can't see it being a sequel because how can they make a new game set in a universe that can be completely different depending on a players choice in a previous title in the series? Unless they plan on making essentially four entirely different "settings" in one game then no, it'll be a prequel.

-Hawk

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Oh, that. Who knows. They'll probably call it Mass Effect Next or something equally insufferable.
My off-topic comment was more about hoping that I hadn't stumbled across a thread that would soon devolve into another argument about the ME3 ending.

And give Hudson a little more credit than that.

He'd probably at least call it Mass Effect: Stardust or something.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
shrekfan246 said:

Their main problem is at the rate they're using up titles with the books, comics and apps (see Mass Effect: Homeworlds, Mass Effect: Invasion et al) they'll be down to pretty slim pickings for random words to put in the title by the time the game finally comes out :p

At this stage they could do pretty much anything for the next game. Going back in time probably makes the most sense (to the First Contact War or something) but it's got the disadvantage that unless the events of the game are pretty small and trivial then we'll already know how it ends - we already know how the Relay 314 Incident and the Rachni Wars turned out, for example.

I've said it before too, but don't count Bioware out when it comes to setting a game after the events of Mass Effect 3 and just inserting some plot device that conveniently reunifies all the different endings of ME3. For example, there could be an army of nano-bots that come along and undo synthesis if that's what you chose, or the could assume control of the Reapers and send them back to dark space if you chose control, and in any case you've got to find a way to stop them from destroying the galaxy this time around. I want royalties if you use that idea BTW, Bioware :p

They could also just declare one of the ME3 endings canon and move on. I know, it'd be taking a great big steaming dump on player choice, but they've proven their willingness to do it in the past so why not do it again?

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I know there'd probably be very little support for this... but when I saw that cinematic near the end of ME3 where the "Victory Fleet" clashes with the Reapers, it really made me want another Homeworld style 3-dimensional space RTS. I can think of worse universes to give me a spinoff in that direction.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
thekillerseat said:
since they killed of Shepard and all 3 endings are completely different
In one ending, Shepard survives.

Destruction + 5k resources/100% readiness = Shepard surviving.

Or....

Installing of new happy ending mod (which I did) = Shepard and Anderson surviving and everyone living happily ever after ... awwwwww

On Topic.

Casey the prat Hudson asked folk what they would like as the setting (prequel or not really a sequel but carrying on after the end of ME3 sometime in the future) although we all already know they started work on it so no matter the outcome of that question it will make no difference. It was just to placate the "fans".

Personally i'm hoping it's set some time after ME3.

We already know the outcome of the big main events before the Reaper invasion (1st contact war and the Rachni wars) so if it's anything set in that period then i'm not bothered about it.

Hard to get a feeling of tense excitement about a war where you know you can't lose .... unless you play as a Rachni.

Plus it would be interesting to see what happened to all the different species after the Reaper wars.

I wish I could say i'm looking forward to it but after DA2, SW:TOR and ME3 (and to justify why I say that, it wasn't the ending that bothered me I didn't like much about the game at all) managed to piss me off, i'm not as thrilled as I once was about BioWare games.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
BloatedGuppy said:
My off-topic comment was more about hoping that I hadn't stumbled across a thread that would soon devolve into another argument about the ME3 ending.

And give Hudson a little more credit than that.

He'd probably at least call it Mass Effect: Stardust or something.
Mass Effect: Starchild

The title alone prints money

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Mass Effect: Origins
When the relay opens and aliens come to Earth.

Wouldn't surprise me. Could actually be fun, but I would prefer if we got to play as an alien this time around... Though with that premise and Biowares combat "evolution" throughout the series we'd probably be looking at a complete shooter.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
After everything that happened, we dare not even think about the next Mass Effect game.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I think prequel or interquel is the way to go; trying to make a game after ME3 would be pretty much impossible without declaring one of the endings canon, which I really hope they don't do. Besides, after the Reaper invasion, anything set after that is just going to feel like a step backwards. Hence my reason for wanting one set before the trilogy; there's thousands of years of history to play around with there, loads of potential stories to tell. Or, do a game set in the two years between ME1 and ME2 while Shepard's dead; show us what the teammates from the first game got up to in that time.

Potential ideas: A Garrus spin-off, in which we either play as him during his C-Sec days as a police procedural, or his time as Archangel. Or both, why not. Similarly, a game exploring Thane's backstory would be very interesting, or one where we play as Samara, travelling around the galaxy and kicking evil in the face.

JayArr said:
Two Words:

Krogan's Heroes.

You're welcome BioWare.
This is what I really want from a future Mass Effect game, though: a game where we can play as a krogan. Especially if they want to do another epic, galaxy-spanning game, I think this is the way to go, since one set after ME3 would be a bit tacky. Instead, give us a game about the Krogan Uplift, the Rachni Wars, and the Krogan Rebellions. Krogan live for a very long time, so it wouldn't be impossible to do a game incorporating all three.

Dec 10, 2012
Guys, this is easy. A prequel 50,000 years in the past. We get to play out the Reaper-Prothean war.

It's perfect. It gets to be another galaxy-spanning apocalyptic conflict without stepping on the toes of the trilogy. We get to learn a whole lot more about the protheans, who seemed pretty interesting when I was talking with Javik. We could even get multiple races to play, since he said that the prothean empire was actually composed of many species all calling themselves prothean.

There are so many ways to do this. It could be a galaxy-wide RTS setup, with each planet having its own forces and resources that you employ to hold off the reapers as long as you can, with the occasional possibility of a victory to keep the player going in the face of ultimate defeat. It could be another personal Shepard-style story, where you play one of the prothean avatars, or whatever Javik called himself, like the embodiment of hope or something. It could even include some space combat, something the series has always had the opportunity to do but never has.

This would be a great example of how to do dark, end-of-the-world tension. We know that the protheans WILL LOSE. It's a game built on the hope of our protagonists that we know will end in genocide; but that even this ultimate defeat will result in the slightest glimmer of hope with the conduit from ME1. I really think this is the best option available. It avoids the problems that any sequel will run into, and it mostly avoids the problems of a prequel set in the same cycle. In this case, we also know the ultimate outcome, but none of the details that led to it. It just seems like a perfect setup to me.

thekillerseat

Sep 23, 2012
i personally believe the indoctrination theory which would make all the endings not real and would let bioware continue the story without Sheppard . Personally i hope you can play as a different species in the next one.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
I hope it's a fresh character and the story focuses on the rebuilding civilization.

I haven't played for the extended ended yet, waiting for the rest of the DLC first, so maybe that gets answered.

Here's my one problem though. How do you top the Reapers? Everything after, "WE WILL CONSUME AND DESTROY THE UNIVERSE," seems so miniscule.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
So that whole thing where Bioware CLEARLY STATED the next game would NOT FEATURE SHEPARD and merely be set in the SAME UNIVERSE, I dreamt that?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I don't really know and I don't really care considering I've not played the Mass Effect series, but I'm kind of wondering the same thing for Halo 5 if 343 really does plan on doing a new trilogy. They didn't exactly end 4 in a way that would allow them to easily make another game without going the way of ODST and Reach.