WHAT THE ROYAL FUCK LEGENDARY!?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Wait... OP is freaking out because of a lack of trailers for Godzilla? Hype-machine?
I'm an oldschool 'Zilla fan and I haven't heard much about this movie except its slated for next year. Other than that, the lack of trailers doesn't mean a bad movie. As far as I know, its 2013 still and that means plenty of time to get a little teaser out there for people to watch.
Who the fuck cares anyway, its not as if every Godzilla movie was a wonderful piece of exposition and cinematography. They were B-Rate foreign "horror" flicks that the only good parts of were the fight scenes between giant monsters/robots... moths.
I wouldn't expect much from this one either, just sit back relax and enjoy watching another Godzilla movie. The 98 one sucked because they tried to make it more "modern".

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Furbyz said:
shrekfan246 said:
It's not like the classic Godzilla films were anything more than silly weekend popcorn flicks in the first place (and by that token I really don't understand why everyone bashes Godzilla 1998), so expecting this to be some sort of amazing revolutionary film that reinvigorates the franchise and brings Godzilla back to the mainstream is... probably going to leave you feeling incredibly disappointed.
I'm going to take a guess and say you've never seen the original 1954 Godzilla as it was originally cut in Japan. The film that you'd be hard pressed to not find on any Top 100 Films of World Cinema list (Currently #31 on Empire's). The film about the dangers of nuclear weapons made by the only people they have ever been used against not a decade after Hiroshima. It was all originally a nuclear parable and deadly serious, but it also showed everyone that giant monsters are awesome, spawning the much more familiar loveable green Godzilla.

I agree with you about silly popcorn flicks for every single other one. Even the American recut of this same film to some degree. I first saw the American version when I was 9, and the whole time I couldn't figure out why this Japanese movie was all about this American guy.
Well, you've got me there, considering I live in America and never actually knew it had two different cuts.

I did know Godzilla was originally meant to be a metaphor about nuclear weapons, but let's be honest, that's not really what he's famous for anymore.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Give it a few weeks or months and I'm sure you'll be rolling in Godzilla trailers. Though if you're going to get that worked up about not seeing the trailers when everyone else did then maybe you should have gone to Comic Con. Other wise just deal with the fact that they haven't released them yet to build up more free hype from people like you who are piss they didn't get to see a trailer yet.

vv85

May 25, 2013
omg i cant live without a godzilla trailer said donald trump as he rolled bill gaits nipple between his rough fingers to a godzilla xp vista 8 trailer promo teaser surface pro

I'll have what hes overclocking

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Something New I Learned Today:

People can get absolutely furious if something is not being marketed at them the way they think it should be.

How... utterly... baffling.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high anyway. Its being directed by the guy that made Monster and if Movie Bob is to be believed (and a lot of people out there probably won't) his movie sucked hard core ass and we don't have any reason to believe he'll make a better movie with Godzilla

shrekfan246 said:
I kinda liked the baby Zillas, if just because it evoked the same sort of feeling of tension the Velociraptor scenes from Jurassic Park always did to me
I honestly thought the mini Godzillas were adorable

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Actually if I hadn't read this thread I wouldn't have known there was a Godzilla film in the works. Comic-Con is where they like to do this stuff, though....I wouldn't sweat the details. I'm sure there will be oodles of trailers soon enough, followed by leaks and behind the scenes rumors right up to day of release, punctuated by the usual crushing disappointment ;) unless we're insanely lucky and it actually ends up being awesome.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
cojo965 said:
1) Okay bad phrasing, what I was getting at was that Comic Con isn't exactly the most densely populated place to find people interested in Godzilla, because you are right, the event is about the comics. With that in mind though, there is a certain event called G-Fest tailor made for this kind of stuff so it seems odd to try to hype the film in a place where it is pretty much a crapshoot that you will find someone with that particular interest.

2) To be fair, what the fuck else am I going to call him? If you have a better term than "character" you let me know.

3) This rant comes from someone who practically grew up with Godzilla, I think with that kind of history I should be entitled to vent my frustration.

4) Legendary likely has no intention to let the general public see these things, and that's fucked up.

5) Godzilla '98 is exactly why we should see something, because that was nothing like what I had grown up with, so fans like me need reassurance that what we're getting is a proper Godzilla experience. Also that bit about bringing Godzilla to the mainstream you mentioned? Legendary has gone on record and said pretty much that's what their going for (not the exact words obviously).
1) Comic Con is the perfect place to show a Godzilla trailer. I get that you're a fan but it's weird that you don't know there's a very successful Godzilla comic (he's had a bunch, actually, with some big names writers and artists)? And that comic book fans fucking love the green guy? It's like saying a music festival isn't the best place to play David Bowie songs...

2) Monster might be better. he's one of the greatest movie monsters ever.

4) Why do you think they have no intention of showing anything at all? I think they will soon.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I hate to be blunt about this, but reading the OP all I was seeing was:

"I DIDN'T GET TO SEE A TEASER TRAILER THE EXACT MOMENT I WANTED TO! TIME TO RAGE OUT AT THE INTERNET!"

Look, I get that you're hyped for this film that we know fuck all about save for the topic matter and general cast/crew, but not seeing the trailer isn't a reason to lose your shit.

Also, for future reference: You may want to add a few caveats and questions at the end of your opening post to give the other posters a topic to discuss. The mods generally frown upon posters creating threads simply to rant.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Directors show trailers for projects at conventions all the time. It's nothing new. I'm sure someone will upload the panel to Youtube or something, and it will include the trailer. Just be patient. If Legendary doesn't put the trailer out in a few days, some of the con-goers will.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
I refuse to believe that you are really mad about this. This is just...trivial and in literally no way a big deal. Take a deep breath, relax and move on with your day.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
ninjaRiv said:
cojo965 said:
1) Okay bad phrasing, what I was getting at was that Comic Con isn't exactly the most densely populated place to find people interested in Godzilla, because you are right, the event is about the comics. With that in mind though, there is a certain event called G-Fest tailor made for this kind of stuff so it seems odd to try to hype the film in a place where it is pretty much a crapshoot that you will find someone with that particular interest.

2) To be fair, what the fuck else am I going to call him? If you have a better term than "character" you let me know.

3) This rant comes from someone who practically grew up with Godzilla, I think with that kind of history I should be entitled to vent my frustration.

4) Legendary likely has no intention to let the general public see these things, and that's fucked up.

5) Godzilla '98 is exactly why we should see something, because that was nothing like what I had grown up with, so fans like me need reassurance that what we're getting is a proper Godzilla experience. Also that bit about bringing Godzilla to the mainstream you mentioned? Legendary has gone on record and said pretty much that's what their going for (not the exact words obviously).
1) Comic Con is the perfect place to show a Godzilla trailer. I get that you're a fan but it's weird that you don't know there's a very successful Godzilla comic (he's had a bunch, actually, with some big names writers and artists)? And that comic book fans fucking love the green guy? It's like saying a music festival isn't the best place to play David Bowie songs...

2) Monster might be better. he's one of the greatest movie monsters ever.

4) Why do you think they have no intention of showing anything at all? I think they will soon.
Because they pulled the same thing at last year's Comic Con, they showed a trailer at their panel and the general public still has yet to see it. To tell the truth though, while I knew about the comics, I forgot about them at the time of writing, but then I don't really read comics so can you blame me? I have actually since calmed down after seeing another video that pointed out that Legendary never said anything about a trailer and suddenly everything made sense. It still seems like bullshit to me that they were pushing this movie so hard online and then not have anything for the internet goers who couldn't be there.

Captcha is apparently a Gamera fan: I like turtles.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
cojo965 said:
Because they pulled the same thing at last year's Comic Con, they showed a trailer at their panel and the general public still has yet to see it. To tell the truth though, while I knew about the comics, I forgot about them at the time of writing, but then I don't really read comics so can you blame me? I have actually since calmed down after seeing another video that pointed out that Legendary never said anything about a trailer and suddenly everything made sense. It still seems like bullshit to me that they were pushing this movie so hard online and then not have anything for the internet goers who couldn't be there.

I haven't read any Godzilla comics but I heard they're very good. You might want to check them out. I know Eric Powell has done covers for them and he's one of many huge Godzilla fans in the industry. Comics is a safe place for the likes of Godzilla, from what I can tell.

Good that you've taken a step back like that. I understand the passion for a franchise that means a lot, especially when it's been mistreated but information is very valuable, especially when you're running on pure passion and rage! lol

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
ninjaRiv said:
cojo965 said:

I haven't read any Godzilla comics but I heard they're very good. You might want to check them out. I know Eric Powell has done covers for them and he's one of many huge Godzilla fans in the industry. Comics is a safe place for the likes of Godzilla, from what I can tell.

Good that you've taken a step back like that. I understand the passion for a franchise that means a lot, especially when it's been mistreated but information is very valuable, especially when you're running on pure passion and rage! lol
Amen to that. On a semi-related note though, didn't Pacific Rim's trailer just sort of turn up one day? Just a random thought.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
cojo965 said:
ninjaRiv said:
cojo965 said:

Amen to that. On a semi-related note though, didn't Pacific Rim's trailer just sort of turn up one day? Just a random thought.
That's a good point, it did seem to come out of nowhere but marketing isn't always sensible. Pacific Rim did it right, as far as I can tell. Legendary might just be doing it in a way that they think will build the most hype. Or it could be an awful film.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
(and by that token I really don't understand why everyone bashes Godzilla 1998)
Godzilla movies are largely what one would call a guilty pleasure. They're silly and most of the fanbase seems to know that. Trying to steep excessive drama into the US version hurt it. It's a kaiju movie. It doesn't need excessive plot or Matthew Broderick. It just needs big stompy monsters and a lot of destruction.

The thread creator may disagree, though. And yes, I know Godzilla started off as a metaphor for uncontrolled atomic demonstration, before anyone here corrects me. He also fights aliens alongside mankind.

The fact that the post-US Godzilla movies went back to a lot of cheesier elements seems to exemplify this. It also seems to have satisfied a large chunk of the "haters." I'd liken the movie to Michael Bay's Transformers insomuch as it managed to take a concept as simple as "big stompy monsters/robots" and miss the point entirely. Granted, Bayformers did have some fun action scenes, along with more problems, but still.

Just a tangent. I think the TC is overreacting to the lack of a public trailer, as well. Just saw that and thought, "why not?"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
crazyarms33 said:
I refuse to believe that you are really mad about this. This is just...trivial and in literally no way a big deal. Take a deep breath, relax and move on with your day.
You must be new to the internet.

I feel I should give some advice. Oh, I know....

STAY OFF YOUTUBE!

If you think this rage is trivial, your brain will asplode. Possibly literally.