What things irrationally scared you as a child?

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Dogs, wouldn't call it "irrational" though.

Larger, mean-looking ones still make me uncomfortable, but I'm better with everything boxer-sized or smaller.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I used to be absolutely terrified that while I slept, lobsters or crabs would crawl up the end of my bed and pinch my toes unless the sheets were tucked in. Don't know why.

I also used to be, and still am I suppose, terrified of being in cavernous buildings, like factories. Don't know why about that one, either.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
For a short while, It was spiders in my shoes (which was more irrational as I lived by the New England Coast). I was already terrified of spiders, and the movie "Anaconda" taught me about shoe spiders. I checked my shoes everytime I was about to put them on for the next 3-4 years.

For an even longer time, it was "What I couldn't see". Not just the dark, but also nearby spaces I didn't have sight into. This included closets and closed shower curtains. I would sleep every night with my closet open and a large lamp on.
This lasted longer than i'd like to admit. I didn't get over it until I forced myself to around the age of 12.

As for a fear I still hold to this day: I still get a bit frightened with the idea of night-wildlife. I hate to think that there could be dangerous/aggressive animals near me that can reach me before I could react.
Last year I remember hearing the sound of a large animal walking around outside the house, and I couldn't bring myself to even look out the window. Could've been a deer, could've been a bear, i'd rather not know.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Comets/Metorites hitting the planet and wiping out all life on earth.... to a lesser extent, an alien invasion, but mostly I was afraid of being wiped out by space debris.

I fist became aware of it on some day time talk show, they had a simulation of what happened if one of those hit a populated area... I wasn't raised with religion growing up so me? this was the boogeyman or satan, this otherworldly celesta object crashing into us for which we had no defense. It also lead into my fear of death in general.

Even now, I still kinda worry about it. I know the next near earth object I have to worry about is in 2038. I'm not looking forward to that year.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I didn't sleep with the lights off until I was in middle school because of several nightmares that I had as a child consecutively when the lights were off. One had me kidnapped by Barney characters and taken to a Toy Store to be sealed in the wire rubber ball pen, one involved me falling into a courtroom hidden in the woods behind my home in which a man in a tricorne hat would kidnap children with a fiery scroll, and the third involved a testimony being given by a woman who looked a lot like Elaine from Seinfeld who hypnotized everyone in the courtroom with a kind of cologne. I don't remember what happened afterwards, but I do remember another dream in which there was a man with a snake neck telling me that I need to cook myself for his dinner. Not a fun experience for a 5 year old child.

Yuri Gregorian

May 26, 2015
Hallways, I use to run down them as fast as I could so I could get to the safety of a proper room again. I have no idea why they made me scared, they just felt very unsafe to me for some unknown reason........

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Fucking spiders.
I saw one on the wall next to my bed while going to sleep once and we just had a stare-off for 2 hours because I was afraid it would just crawl to god knows where and come back for me in my sleep if I moved.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Jabberwocky and in relation, mirrors, all because I watched this old movie :

djl3485

Sep 30, 2012
Dinosaurs.

I was 8 when Jurrasic Park came out and it was so real to me. After that, I was always afraid Velociraptors would jump out of my closet and get me for the next year or so.

Yoshilord

Mar 20, 2016
Ok, I have one that is really specific and pretty strange. You know those small, artificial ponds that sometimes people have in gardens, with goldfish, lily pads, statues around it,etc? For some reason the idea of the bottom of those things freaked me out. The black tarp made it mysterious, I felt like I had no way of telling how deep it really was, so I imagined it went on forever, and it made me feel claustrophobia.

Another thing that freaked me out was the idea of transforming into something else, like a monster or an animal or something randomly. It wasn't the transformation itself that scared me, it was the idea of having to explain to your family or friends what had happened, and them being confused and bewildered and gawking at you. I always hated any movie or tv show that had any plot like that at all.

And in first grade whenever I looked out my window at night and saw our neighbors tree, I imagined that certain branches were monkeys that would crawl through my window if I fell asleep. I probably got that from Caps for Sale haha

Edit: ooh I thought of another one. Certain color combinations and patterns freaked me out for no reason whatsoever. Like warm-colored flowers on a black background. To this day I won't wear anything with that pattern on it. I didn't have a rationalization for that back then either.

And then I had some fears that were completely rational, such as the fear of thomas the tank engine. Seriously that is some uncanny valley shit right there

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Stoppit and Tidyup: all of it.

Also I was terrified of house fires. Goddamn fire men and their safety assemblies.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Mirrors. Specifically my reflection. I had a nightmare when I was a kid that my reflection tried to come out the mirror and attack me. To be honest I still don't looking at myself in the mirror. But that's more due to my lack of self worth and respect.... I wonder if that nightmare was the cause of it.

I also used to be terrified of dogs after one bit my hand pretty bad when I was little. Took me years to be in the same room as a dog and not panic. I began to get better when I was nine or ten. Now I'm pretty damn good with them and have one of my own. Although really big jumpy ones still make me uneasy but most big dogs I meet are really calm.

Lifeonerth

Oct 12, 2012
I had this fear that one day I would wake up in someone else's body and be forced to live their life as them, only not knowing anything about them or the people in their lives, etc. It terrified me to think about having to try to live as someone else and not being able to pull it off, and also not being able to ever get back to my body and my life. Of course, no one would ever believe you if something like that did happen and you tried to tell someone. Everything about it terrified me. I have no idea where I got that from. I guess this is a bit like Yoshilord's fear of transformation.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Ghost motorcycles.

I lived in an apartment complex in Tucson, Arizona. Someone in our building owned a motorcycle, and kept it parked outside my 2nd story window. Since the parking lot didn't have covered spaces, he covered his motorcycle in a protective tarp, which looked like this:

The covered motorcycle faced my room directly. Whenever I looked out the window, I saw his phantom motorcycle, unceasingly staring at me from the parking lot as I slept.

I was certain that one day, I would look out the window, and it would be missing... only to reappear in my closet to run me over, and drag my bleeding carcass to Motorcycle Hell.

Fiona Callahan said:
Starship Troopers. I shit you not.
Being terrified of giant impaling spideraliens is hardly "irrational", especially since the Space Marines were getting their asses handed to them throughout the entire movie.

LunarRepublic

Oct 23, 2016
Lifeonerth said:
I had this fear that one day I would wake up in someone else's body and be forced to live their life as them, only not knowing anything about them or the people in their lives, etc. It terrified me to think about having to try to live as someone else and not being able to pull it off, and also not being able to ever get back to my body and my life. Of course, no one would ever believe you if something like that did happen and you tried to tell someone. Everything about it terrified me. I have no idea where I got that from. I guess this is a bit like Yoshilord's fear of transformation.
Y'know, there's this anime movie called Your Name coming out in the States in a week or so.

Don't know why I'm mentioning it, just thought you might like to know....

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Mary Poppins forever scarred me. The end where the bank manager dies laughing? I took that seriously! So for the longest time as a kid I had nightmares about laughing myself to death!

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
I remember being terrified of the troll in Ernest Scared stupid. Xenomorphs and the Predator did nothing to me but that stupid troll. ugh

http://d12vb6dvkz909q.cloudfront.net/uploads/galleries/43299/trantor_the_troll.jpg

Also I'll admit to being a little overcautious about going anywhere the weekend when I discovered Slenderman, specifically Marble Hornets. It's kind of a dumb meme now but that series did a great job of being terrifying.