What to Watch: What are the best Netflix Streaming Movies most haven't even heard of?

RiseUp

Jan 31, 2014
If you're okay with subtitles or you speak Italian (Neapolitan specifically), I'd recommend Gomorrah. It's one of the most depressing movies I've seen in a long time.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Filth

It was fairly popular in scotland but in other countries I dont think it had the same success. Its basically a drama/dark comedy (seriously dark) about a dodgy policeman in Edinburgh. Just watch it and see if you like it or not

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
TV

The Killing - Revived by Netflix for another season, this one drags on with red herrings and false leads but it has a genuine conclusion, which is nice.
Orange is the New Black - Exclusive to Netflix and required watching.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Available elsewhere, but a great show.
My Strange Addiction - Cringeworthy reality TV.
River Monsters - Great show about fishing in dangerous places that somehow manages to remain ominous.
Monsters Inside Me - Another cringeworthy reality show about how people catch the worst parasites.
Cracker - The classic UK detective show.
Freak Encounters - Awesome fake monster show made funny as only Canadians can do.
The IT Crowd - Missing the final, wrap-everything-in-a-bow episode, but still worth the watch.

Movies

It's A Disaster - People over 30 will likely appreciate this movie. It's about the end of the world and how idiots cope with it.
Mud - Someone here recommended this to me and I have to admit that it's pretty good.
Kumare - A false prophet shows the entire process of being a religious fraud, from beginning to end.
Mystery Team - DVD only unfortunately. Good comedy, still recommend tracking it down.

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
I don't know if I'd call it "hidden" as it's been on their Featured list since Robin Williams died, but The Fisher King is a great film and one of the most unknown and underrated movies of both Robin Williams and Terry Gilliam's careers. I don't really know how to describe it, though. It's a bit of a dark dramedy. Very zany, though, which is a hallmark of Gilliam's directorial style. I highly recommend it.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Diddy_Mao said:
A Fantastic Fear of Everything.
I'm not going to say it's a great movie but if you have 90 minutes it's worth a watch. Simon Pegg plays a paranoid delusional sad sack of a children's author turned crime novelist who is convinced that he's going to be murdered by a serial killer.

The movie plays out like an extended Mr. Bean episode as Pegg stumbles through each scene piling inconveniences and misunderstandings on top of one another in a manic attempt to just get his laundry done in order to make a meeting with a publisher.

Odd Thomas.
Another entry in the "Not great but worth a look" category. Anton Yelchin plays the titular role of an unassuming small town fry cook who happens to be able to see ghosts and other paranormal entities. A talent he uses to help the local police. The story itself revolves around Odd having to use these skills to prevent a mass murder.

Absentia.
This one stars...nobody you'll have heard of. It's a small budget horror movie about a recovering junkie who moves in with her sister to help her cope with the loss of her husband who went missing and is in the process of being declared legally dead. The junkie angle is, I admit, just some contrived conflict to cast doubt on the younger sister as she starts to unravel the supernatural cause of the local disappearances.
Warning: If you're big on closure I might not recommend this one. Absentia doesn't go out of it's way to really explain the supernatural element of its story.

The House of the Devil.
I am unapologetic about my love for this flick. Plot is dead simple. A cash strapped college girl accepts a job to "babysit" the elderly mother of a couple and ends up being terrorized. It does a great job of pulling off a retro late 70's - Mid 80's era Satanic Cult movie feel without ever stepping into parody or reference.
Fair warning though, it's a very slow burn of a film.

Lair of the White Worm.
This movie is dumb as a bag of hammers and I completely love it. I can't even give you a good description of the story really. Just queue it up and watch Hugh Grant team up with Peter Capaldi to defeat a race of snake witches who worship a giant serpent god.
Also Capaldi produces a live mongoose from beneath his kilt.
Nice recommendation on Absentia. I second the nomination for that movie. Totally low budget but it didn't need a ton of money. Loved that film.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
UFOs: The Secret History. One of the best comedies I've ever watched. Like an hour and a half of nonstop laughs. It's not so much a movie as a documentary, but everything turns out better if you just call it a comedy.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
mysecondlife said:
I think Better Off Ted is on it.

It didn't get enough ratings so the tv network had to cancel it after 2nd season.

ITS THAT GOOD.

EDIT: Oh. Movies and not tv show.. I misread :/ But still, if you have time go check it out
No, TV is welcome as well. I did see and adore Better of Ted. A great series and an outrage that it got canceled.

Frezzato said:
Mud - Someone here recommended this to me and I have to admit that it's pretty good.
Will check those ASAP! Thanks!

shootthebandit said:
Filth

It was fairly popular in scotland but in other countries I dont think it had the same success. Its basically a drama/dark comedy (seriously dark) about a dodgy policeman in Edinburgh. Just watch it and see if you like it or not
And this is on Streaming!?!?!? Checking!

EDIT: Gadzooks! It is! Added to my queue!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Since you're including TV shows, I'd also recommend "Trailer Park Boys", a Canadian show that was one of the first "mockumentary" TV shows (that got replicated with "The Office", "Parks and Recreation", etc.). It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think the show is absolutely hysterical.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Gorfias said:
darkcalling said:
Contracted was a very good if kinda slow psychological horror movie I found.
Rats. Not available Streaming. Loved Firefly. Is Farscape worth the investment in time? I am thinking of giving that a try.
Farscape is easily worth your time. Granted I'm only halfway through season 3 (of 4) so it could still take a dive but it has an amazing cast and great production values to back up the amazing writing. Though some of the mid 90's cgi hasn't held up very well.

Also keep in mind that the show was a sci fi channel original if I remember right so the cast (while amazing) consists mostly of people I've never heard of. The biggest name on the show that I'm aware of is Claudia Black who voiced Morrigan in Dragon Age: Origins.

Also I remembered another good horror movie I saw on Netflix. Pontypool. Bizarre name but a great watch.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
darkcalling said:
Also I remembered another good horror movie I saw on Netflix. Pontypool. Bizarre name but a great watch.
Got to see Pontypool and I agree. Very original, well done.

Have you watched "The Machine"? I liked it so much I'm going to give it another go, see if I missed anything.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Gorfias said:
darkcalling said:

Have you watched "The Machine"? I liked it so much I'm going to give it another go, see if I missed anything.
Oh okay, well if you saw Pontypool you might as well watch Exam (2009).

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
On my list but I haven't got 'S
Gorfias said:
darkcalling said:

It's on my list but I haven't gotten to it yet. I remember seeing a trailer on youtube I and thinking it looked good though.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Frezzato said:
Gorfias said:
darkcalling said:

Oh okay, well if you saw Pontypool you might as well watch Exam (2009).
Will do, thanks for the referral!
darkcalling said:
On my list but I haven't got 'S
Gorfias said:
darkcalling said:

It's on my list but I haven't gotten to it yet. I remember seeing a trailer on youtube I and thinking it looked good though.
Very low key (almost a scary stage play) but well done with an original concept.

SOCIALCONSTRUCT

Apr 16, 2011
Gorfias said:
So all, got any great buried treasures to recommend that are on Netflix streaming?
Some of my favorite movies are on Netflix instant:

[a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808185/"]The Bothersome Man[/a]

[a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159097/"]The Virgin Suicides[/a]

[a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2084989/"]Upstream Color[/a]

[a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091722/"]Adventureland[/a]

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Total LOLige said:
Tucker & Dale Vs Evil. While not necessarily hidden on Netflix, it doesn't seem to be that well known.
definitely gotta give credit here, that film is genuinely hilarious.

also if you like slightly older comedies, try watching 'clue'. i thought it was a little slow to start, but it ended up being brilliant. and c'mon, a film based on cluedo!!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
[a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2084989/"]Upstream Color[/a]
I'll have to check.

I just watched a real strange film "Resolution". Now it reads if you liked that, try Penny Dreadful and Citadel. Checking.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
"Big Ass Spider" is terrific. Might be in part because I love the main actor from "Heroes" but, what a hoot!