What unusual animals have you eaten?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
shootthebandit said:
That song really grew on me! Also, Jim's looking pretty slim and fit there!

I like a bit of haggis, neeps and tatties tatties with ketchup and some pepper. Lovely as a wee snack.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Barbas said:
Doner kebab - No idea. Many claim it is meant to be lamb, but I don't believe them. I assume it is composed of the reconstituted corpses of convicts. Delicious though it is, eating one is a struggle against one's deepest moral convictions.
The depravity of the Döner Kebab is nothing compared to the entity known only by the name of Döner pizza. Whispers say the recipe comes from the old ones themselves.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Barbas said:
Doner kebab - No idea. Many claim it is meant to be lamb, but I don't believe them. I assume it is composed of the reconstituted corpses of convicts. Delicious though it is, eating one is a struggle against one's deepest moral convictions.
The depravity of the Döner Kebab is nothing compared to the entity known only by the name of Döner pizza. Whispers say the recipe comes from the old ones themselves.
The manufacture of that heathen food is a practice long since banned here - it actually caused a rift amongt the populace. Some went off into the hills to continue the vile practice in secret. Around here, we just call them "the Wildermen". It is said that they subsist entirely on Scotch eggs and the occasional lost traveler.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Barbas said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Barbas said:
The manufacture of that heathen food is a practice long since banned here - it actually caused a rift amongt the populace. Some went off into the hills to continue the vile practice in secret. Around here, we just call them "the Wildermen". It is said that they subsist entirely on Scotch eggs and the occasional lost traveler.
My area has yet to see local practitioners of this black art, so we're safe, but I dread the day that it's evil spreads to our shores.

*makes sign of the cross*

On a serious note, though I want Döner Kebab! There aren't any shops in my city >.<

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Squid is an unusual dish? I was unaware of this, every fish and chip shop I've seen offers squid. Hell, I've caught squid myself and cooked it up, delicious.

I've eaten kangaroo several times, it's pretty nice. Also venison, I stayed overnight at a friend's venison farm and that was delicious.

Alexei F. Karamazov

Feb 22, 2014
The oddest thing I've introduced to my intestines were pig ears at a Cantonese place, courtesy of my Chinese friend. It really didn't taste like much at all; they resembled floppy miniature bacon strips. Pretty tame compared to what some others have said, but I've been trying new things, mostly thanks to my lady.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Kangaroo sausages: my university was pushing them on us because, supposedly, they're overpopulated pests and are more sustainable than beef.

The taste was alright (I guess) but the texture was just awful.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Being an Aussie I've had the usual suspects at various points. Kangaroo, emu, wallaby and crocodile. Out of those I'd recommend kangaroo and emu. Very, very tasty. Healthy too. Out of those, Kangaroo would probably be easiest to come by, since Oz apparently exports it all over the world.

The trick to Kangaroo is not to overcook it. You eat it rare to medium rare (anything more and it becomes as tough as boot leather). I love it with a good plum marinade, but you guys might find puppy blood just as good.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Barbas said:
I heard that it's Elephant's leg, mate.

OT: I haven't eaten anything that strange just the horse meat in Tesco burgers.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
fried Alligator - like chicken with a hint of beef tones but a odd musky taste to it too kinda chewy

kangaroo - tastes kinda like veal to me was extremely gamely

farm raised pheasant - a cross between chicken and turkey very tender (I have heard wild is also gamely)

bison like beef but lighter

turtle soup surprisingly tastes just like dinty moore brand beef stew

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Deer - Hard to describe. Not quite like beef but has a nice lean/game-y flavor to it.

Wild Boar - Pork obviously but with a gamey taste. Some better than others. Have had some pretty atrocious boar but that could have been in the cooking process.

Buffalo - Just like beef to be honest

Rabbit - It's been so long so can't really remember

And recently I tried Goat tongue... it was odd. Good taste but the texture was kind of gross.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I've had moose, deer and bear.My grandpa did a lot of hunting and I'd sometimes get to try a bit of his catch when I'd visit.

A lot of people are listing squid, which I don't find strange at all (a lot of mainstream restaurants have calamari on their menu). I've also eaten octopus and crawdads.

I've (accidentally) eaten a fly before.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Moose, boar and reindeer, though only in hard sausage form. Never as a delicious steak. :(
Would recomend it. The reindeer sausage is my favorite. Moose has a more smokey and strong taste, which is good but quickly becomes too much. Fits awesomely with whiskey I guess. It's really hard to compare them with any other taste.

Other than that I'm not sure. Once had a plate on a restaurant with different, more exclusive meats, but I can't remember what they were.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Off the top of my head

Frog: like you said, tastes just like chicken and that's what I actually thought it was until someone told me otherwise

Quail eggs: Unfortunately it was a long time ago and I don't recall the taste at all

Deer jerky: Not much different than regular beef jerky IMO

Hemingslay

Aug 12, 2013
T0ad 0f Truth said:
On a serious note, though I want Döner Kebab! There aren't any shops in my city >.<
If you've got a free afternoon you can make 'em at home, pal! You can find some pretty simple recipes online--the recipe I used called it a "gyro" (but we all know it's really a doner kebab, roight?). Ground lamb/beef, onions, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper--blend in a food processor, bake like a meatloaf, then carve off slices and slap them between pita with veggies and tzatziki. Night out and hangover optional, of course.

OT: not super unusual, but venison (which I only had once, curried beyond recognition), bison (which I find beef-like but dry, probably the fault of my cooking), and duck (which was like a really rich, slightly greasy chicken). The most unusual thing I've eaten was candied scorpions, which were more chewy than crunchy and tasted like burnt toast.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Snake- Viper to be exact.

Antilope/Zebra/crocodile- There was an extotic food fair in town and they offered a barbecue skewer containing "the beauty of africa" after you finished it was etched on the skewer what you had actually eaten. Sligtly worrysome that i ate it regardless.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
Perhaps the strangest I've eaten was 'Mangrove Worm.' It was up in Darwin, and my host - an Aboriginal woman said she would be offended if I didn't share it with her. I almost gagged... but managed to swallow it and keep it down.

I have also eaten kangaroo, goanna, turtle and crocodile while in the Northern Territory.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Oh and various Florida-native snakes (before pythons invaded), worms (not too bad fried), turtle was ok but not something I would eat regularly. Also had goat once, it was simulating... (don't kill me)