What Warhammer 40k Army Should I Use?

Sharkeyes

Nov 19, 2011
So, the name says it all. I want an army that has really good infantry, because I plan to use it as the majority (I'm thinking about 60 percent) of my army. I know tanks are king, but I just like infantry.

Here's an army list one of my friends suggested. What would be its result?
Codex Space Marines
800 points infantry of various forms
500 in transports and a tank
800 points in guys on motorcycles to go around the enemy and kill the HQ or Synapse (lots of my friends play tyranids)

I don't know if I wanna do Space Marines, though.

UPDATE
Guys and gals I wanna thank everyone who posted on here. I have decided to go with the Tau, and have already bought a squad of Fire Warriors. They're proving difficult to put together, but they're amazingly cool. Thanks again for all the comments.

Sharkeyes

Nov 19, 2011
Yeah, it's not gonna be cheap, but there's more expensive hobbies out there I guess.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Motorcycles are nice models, and kind of fun, but pretty terrible in a 2000 point game from a min/max point of view.

So cut 1 or 2 of those bike squads and replace them with jet pack assault troops, or maybe a deep striking terminator squad, since you like infantry. Having a few elite squad members with upgraded weapons and decked out squad leaders can keep your army from feeling too bland, even if it's full of infantry.

As for choosing which army to play, I think then and any time your buying models you should always consider the models that are most appealing to you to construct and paint and keep around.

Sharkeyes

Nov 19, 2011
isometry said:
Motorcycles are nice models, and kind of fun, but pretty terrible in a 2000 point game from a min/max point of view.

So cut 1 or 2 of those bike squads and replace them with jet pack assault troops, or maybe a deep striking terminator squad, since you like infantry. Having a few elite squad members with upgraded weapons and decked out squad leaders can keep your army from feeling too bland, even if it's full of infantry.

As for choosing which army to play, I think then and any time your buying models you should always consider the models that are most appealing to you to construct and paint and keep around.

Would you suggest close combat or gun terminators? Plus, how many points is a standard space marine with a bolter? I haven't bought my codex yet.

freakfeist

Nov 19, 2011
the army's that are largely troop focused would be tyrinid orks and imperial guard and all three are good choices

Addicted Muffin

Nov 6, 2010
I use Necrons, Nids, and Tau.
The Necrons are simple and easy to use with not a lot of variation, but a lot of power.
The Tyranids are the pinnacle of customization. They are the zerg of warhammer. They have many different units, cheap swarms, and deadly results.
The Tau are like a lesser versions of space marines. They have good range, decent customization, and a good a unit lineup.

I prefer the Tau over all others, running a 1750 point Pure Tau army with the legendary Shas'ui as my commander.

panthrjd

Nov 4, 2007
Space Marines are always a solid choice.

However, for your bikes, might I suggest land speeders instead? They can be geared to hunt tanks very effectively, with the variant that allows a second heavy weapon mounted on the bottom (sorry, haven't played Marines in years, don't remember the variant names). Several 10 man squads with a meltagun and a sergeant with combi-melta (or plasma gun and sarge with combi-plas) along with the heavy weapon of your choice (missile launcher being the most popular and easily accessible) backed up by a Razorback is incredibly solid. Just remember to normally combat squad so you have a base of fire element (with the heavy weapon) and a maneuver element (with the special weapon and sergeant). You should pretty much always give the sergeant a power fist as well.

To back up your speeders, a scout squad on their transport speeder is always fun, decked out with short range firepower and some tank busting, and if you wish to go that route, kill squads (against infantry, tanks, whichever) in a drop pod can wreak havoc when used properly.

They're not unbeatable, but Space Marines have a good solution for any problem, the only thing you "need" to do from the competitive meta standpoint is make sure your army is heavily if not entirely mechanized. Because the Glorious and Mighty Gee-Dub wants to make more money, transport vehicles are under-costed, and yours are solid.

But most importantly, play with what you like. If something in mine, or anyone else's advice, recommends models or tactics you don't like, ignore it! Just make sure you can crack transports from range/early!

Skulltaker101

Jul 20, 2010
Go Orks. They're tough enough to go toe to toe with most Tyranids, they're fun to convert and you're getting a lot of them for your points. If you want tanks and transports, they're good for that too. Plus they can field Deffkoptas, which are jetbikes. Orks. Do it.

Indeterminacy

Feb 13, 2011
Skulltaker101 said:
Go Orks. They're tough enough to go toe to toe with most Tyranids, they're fun to convert and you're getting a lot of them for your points. If you want tanks and transports, they're good for that too. Plus they can field Deffkoptas, which are jetbikes. Orks. Do it.
I agree with this. Yes, you do need to shout "Waaagh!". It is something everyone should learn to do.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
If I were you, I'd go with Blood Angels. They're a Space Marines subtype, but they have a seperate codex. They can use Land Raiders and some other Space Marine transports, but I've always though their strength lies in the fact that you can just load some Blood Angels and a Dreadnaught (or whatever the 'mech is called) into a Stormraven and blow your enemies away. Blood Angels also have an improved Predator.

NyteRaven

Nov 12, 2009
Personally, I'd agree with anyone who says 'Go with whatever models you prefer' with a very small caveat, and that is, playstyle, if you favour running in and chopping things up, then go Orks, 'Nids or Chaos Marines, if you favour blowing anything and everything apart before it reaches you, go Guard, Space Marines, Tau or Chaos Marines. Of all the armies, the one I would say brings the most built in 'free' versatility, is Chaos, where every man costs the same as a Space Marine, has the same stat line, and more importantly, are better in hand to hand than 'normal' marines... this does come at a cost, and that is reliability, they can actually run off the table, whereas normal marines run to the edge of the table and stop there. Plus Terminators, Land Raiders and Rhinos along with a few other options are cheaper, so you can have more of them :)

But, as I said, go with whatever army you like the models for the most, and in answer to your question about 'normal' terminators or assault, depends on what role you imagine them filling, deep strike near the enemy and become a juggernaut of doom, go assault with stormshields, support your force to thin them out as they come in, and then spearhead the counterattack, go 'normal' terminators.

And now, I'm going to indulge myself with a bit of being a dick... I apologise in advance.

Addicted Muffin said:
I prefer the Tau over all others, running a 1750 point Pure Tau army with the legendary Shas'ui as my commander.
OK, Shas'ui isn't a name in and of itself, its equivalent to a sergeant as that is its caste ('shas' or 'fire') and rank (''ui' or, in this case, 'sergeant'), from the rest of your sentence I guess you mean either O'Shovah, or Shadowsun, of the two, O'Shovah is slightly more legendary, so I'm gonna guess you mean him.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Sharkeyes said:
So, the name says it all. I want an army that has really good infantry, because I plan to use it as the majority (I'm thinking about 60 percent) of my army. I know tanks are king, but I just like infantry.

Here's an army list one of my friends suggested. What would be its result?
Codex Space Marines
800 points infantry of various forms
500 in transports and a tank
800 points in guys on motorcycles to go around the enemy and kill the HQ or Synapse (lots of my friends play tyranids)

I don't know if I wanna do Space Marines, though.
Got something by way of a more detailed army list at all?

If you intend on 'biking' out with SM, go mad, get a captain on a bike back him up with a Chaplain and stuff as many bikes into the list as you can. They can all fragment so you have five bikes (with VS + CCW) to hit weenies while the Attack Bike and another two bikes with SW to go tank hunting or fire support. In 2000pts you can get thirty bikers in easy. The rest of the army should be 'anvil' units (the bikes are fast moving, so you need units that can tarpit the enemy). The best for SM are THSS AT's, and that's where the Chaplain comes in. Alternatively, take Shrike and they can fleet, absolutely hilarious, that.

If you intend on infantry-ing out, make everything balanced (and personally, I wouldn't bother with elite infantry because their I stat is a bit rubbish for the extra attack, just get more boots on the ground, though I use Pedro, so Sternguard are awesome for the extra 5pts/model). Mini-max Devs (plus Razorbacks) though I use mine only for infantry killing since the AT weapons (ML notwithstanding) have shit range. And Scouts, have a sniper team (always underestimated). In 2000pts, if you go with Blood Angels, you can put in two LandRaiders and use them as transport and DeepStrike them. And some Assault Marines wouldn't go amiss, though again you're looking to use the Angels since they're a Troop choice and dirt cheap. God will condemn Matt Ward to a hell filled with leering Chaos Marines, I'm sure...

Alternatively, you could go for a DropPod army and start with nothing on the board (except maybe a tank or two). Half your army slams down on turn one and you can overwhelm your opponent's flank in two turns and defeat the rest piecemeal as your reserves arrive.

Were to take an different army entirely, Chaos Marines play almost the same way, but their fluff makes them soooooooooooooooo much more fun. Don't touch Grey Knights if you plan on keeping your friends, the Necrons look pretty funky at the moment (though I'm yet to get my hands on the new codex), the Sisters were a bit nerfed and I think they totally suck atm. IG are solid as ever and that genuinely is 'boots on the ground'. Tau, I'm sixes and sevens with, since so much of the current game is centred around close combat, which Tau don't 'do'. They have one power weapon in their entire list and against an AM heavy Blood Angels army, it'll only end one way (IMO). And Orks... *shrug* ...[sub] 'waaaaaagh', I guess?! =P[/sub]

I personally, am an Eldar player, though unless you're meched up as Eldar (and especially Dark Eldar), you guys will die, and fast. Though the Eldar have some of the best elite units in the game.

Have fun, and say goodbye to all your money! XD

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
Do Necrons!

Note: I haven't played 40K in freakin' years, and Necrons were my last army...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Necrons have decent infantry, you don't need alot of them to make an army, so they are cheap and less to paint and convert, so there's more time on each one.

Also, no annpying faces to paint.

OTOH, their codex was written by Matt Ward...fucking hell the fluff is bullshit nowdays.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
Bah marine bikes, personally don't like them but its your army so do what you want.

Can't go too far wrong with space marines even if they are a little bland at times (I say that even though I've just started a Salamander Chapter army). If you want sheer entertainment and don't care too much about the result of your battles then go Ork, you rarely see an Ork player having a bad time, win or lose orks just like fighting.

Oh if you really like infantry and you have lot of cash then there is always the Imperial Guard. You can get a load of guardsmen for little points, they can't do much other than die but there will be alot of them.

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
If you do Space Wolves, Bikes are more of a viable strategy than if you go basic Space Marines, I'll give you a quick run down, but the best way to find out what you'd like is to go down to a Games Workshop or some local hobby store where people play and just kind of look around and see how the armies are played, and what the models look like

Space Marines: Very resilient, very balanced army, basic infantry have good shooting and good armor. Their elite choices can get quite deadly, for a cost. Their tanks can either be balanced out to be pretty good at both anti-infantry and anti-armor, or specialized to be really good at either, for pretty cheap. The trade off is, they have a relatively weak armor value.

The different chapter codices specialize in various things, it's definitely worth it to check them out

Imperial Guard: Infantry. Lots and lots of Infantry. For every squad of guardsmen that fall there's 2 squads to take their place. weak infantry, but can dish out a horrendous amount of firepower. There basic weapon is the weakest in the game, and their statlines suck, but you can output so much firepower that you can often force the enemy to take so many armor saves that the start failing. Plus you can outfit heavy weapons in infantry squads, and take dedicated heavy weapon squads, which can be devastating at anti-armor or anti-infantry. Veterans are good, they can be highly mobile, can get better armor, plus can get 3 special weapons, which can be really good. Officers can be deadly, and can issue orders every turn to infantry squads to augment their abilities, such as +1 shot to their lasguns, or twin linking weapons that are firing against vehicles or monstrous creatures, which means they can reroll the first dice result. The other half of the Guard is Tanks. Their basic tank is the best tank in the game, and every variant is devastatingly good at what its specialized in. Their artillery is awesome, but only truly awesome in higher pts game.

Orks: WAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Their armor sucks, but have the numbers to make up for it. Their whole point is to get into close combat, and every aspect of the army from their basic infantry to their elites are terrifyingly good at it. Stormboyz and Bikes can close in quick, and still be ridiculous good.

Chaos Space Marines: Like Space Marines, but can take awesome options, plus the fluff is awesome. Their terminators are the cheapest base wise, and their Obliterators are just insane.

Grey Knights/Inquisition: Highly Specialized, over the top badassness that will pretty much be outnumbered all the time and be the most hated army on the table lol, so you gotta have balls to play them.

Necrons: The new codex kinda changed it around so they have more options than just "walk the squads behind the monoliths", not too familiar with the new codex, but their infantry are pretty solid and have some pretty cool support options.

Sisters of Battle: Kinda hard to describe, not quite Space Marines, and have different options

Eldar: Highly mobile, relatively weak infantry, with fast tanks that can hit hard, and cool psychic abilities.

Dark Eldar: Kind of the same thing, with different options

Tau: Very Shooty Army, with longer range guns, and their anti-tank guns are terrifyingly effective because they are such long range and high strength, plus can put anti-infantry rounds also. Their battle suits are highly mobile and can get a lot of special weapons.

Thats the basic rundown, if you have any questions quote me or PM me, I've been playing for a long long time and am happy to help new people starting out wherever I find them. It's a great hobby, and the most important thing whether you win or lose is to have fun.

EDIT: forgot the Tyranids: Either they can swarm the enemy or go big scary monsters that wreck everything