what was your favorite old school game console?

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
The NES. Mostly because I didn't have anything else until the Playstation came out.
But I used to play lots of C64 and MegaDrive at a friends house and they were just as awesome at the time.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
classyplatypus said:
What was your favorite console from old times?

my favorite is definitely the N64, it had sooooo many good games
Damn thats not that old school already is it? Wow i feel old, anyway for me its def the NES, i still remember when my dad bought me a copy of Mario 3. Those were the days.
LOL i remember after seeing the fred savage movie "the wizard" How excited i was at our local videoplex to see that Mario 3 was finally available for rent. I was literally jumping up and down in the store with my friend. So i guess that would be my fav old school console.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
the ps1. simply because theres proper Spyro games for it (6th gen fucked him up). in fact super good spyro games.

May 17, 2007
I have to agree with the N64, although old PC games are also brilliant.

madbird-valiant said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Damn thats not that old school already is it? Wow i feel old, anyway for me its def the NES, i still remember when my dad bought me a copy of Mario 3. Those were the days.
I wouldn't classify it as old school, either.

I had a SEGA Mega Drive. I'd classify THAT as old school.
The Mega Drive was a contemporary of the SNES. The NES came out years before either.

The Giggling Pin

Jan 7, 2009
tenlong said:
TheTemby said:
Genesis... best looking controller ever! (had to be said)

that was a good controller . perfect for fighting games if you had the 6 button controller.
I loved the Genesis/Mega Drive but the controllers were not all that hot. It was too big and chunky and was difficult, at least for me, to access all of the buttons. The snes controller is much better as you can just put your thumb slap in the middle and you are able to press more than one button at a time with the same digit. On the plus side if you yanked the cable out of the back it kinda looked and felt like a batarang from the old school batman series.

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
unknownquantity said:
tenlong said:
TheTemby said:
Genesis... best looking controller ever! (had to be said)

that was a good controller . perfect for fighting games if you had the 6 button controller.
I loved the Genesis/Mega Drive but the controllers were not all that hot. It was too big and chunky and was difficult, at least for me, to access all of the buttons. The snes controller is much better as you can just put your thumb slap in the middle and you are able to press more than one button at a time with the same digit. On the plus side if you yanked the cable out of the back it kinda looked and felt like a batarand from the old school batman series.

yeah that's true. but the genesis controller it is less likely of misspressing a button. but i am a sega genesis boy. to each his own i guess.

speedfreek

May 11, 2009
It's a toss-up between the NES and SNES for me, though i did play a bit of the ol' Atari 2600 when i was a little fella.

Though i'd say SNES just over the NES. Also have 2 NES and a SNES that i wanna get up and running, just need a power supply for them, that and a Mega Drive.

speedfreek

May 11, 2009
The 64 and PS1 would fall into old school as they are about 11-12 years old now. Really as it stands at the moment, anything post 8-bit is old school..........well maybe just that generation.

Dreamcast, well it came out around the same time as PS2 (well before actually) but seeing as it is no longer in the marketplace, it's kinda a funny spot, seeing as the PS2 is still current, though really it is the only console from last generation that is still being made and having games released for it.

morphyx_69

Mar 5, 2009
First gaming machine I had was an Atari 520ST technically not a console, but it was during the Commadore and Amiga days. All the games loaded from floppy disk, the longest took bout 5 mins to load.

Then I got a gameboy with Tetris and Super Mario Land, beat that one all the way through on standard and then the unlocked Hard mode(you had to play through standard to unlock hard no saves). And The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening, loved that game. First game where I found all the extra stuff by myself (no widespread internet in those days folks).

Thats about as old school as I can go without mentioning my N64...... Damn.

Archindar

Jul 28, 2008
I must say my first console the N64. I remember all the fun i used to have playing games like super smash brothers and mario cart with my friends. Those were the good old days.