What was your favorite rpg?

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
You never said set jrpg so I'll say something that isn't from japan for once.

My favorite RPG is a 3 way tie...

Star Wars: Knights of the old republic: A great game with cool combat and character progression. The story was great and the game was fun, Don't need much more then that.

Dragon Age origins: Again, great story, immersive world and awesome tactical combat that made you think.

Deus Ex: Do I really have to explain this one?

Runners up...
Oblivion: Great open world but the combat kills it
Mass Effect: Don't get me wrong, I'm a Mass Effect fanboy but it's less of an RPG and more of an RPG-TPS hybrid.
Fallout New Vegas: Those bugs kill that game

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Final Fantasy VIII. Which is also my favourite game of all time. For me, that's the one true perfect game, I can't think of a single flaw in it.
Alright, the game starts to get a tiny bit less-awesome halfway through disc 3, but it's still awesome after that point.
...Okay, disc 4 wasn't as good as the rest either. But the awesomeness of the game more than makes up for it.

My favourite non-JRPG RPG, for the people whose teeth are grinding reading this post, is either Morrowind or Mass Effect 2.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010

OT: Probably Mass Effect 2 or KoTOR. Both of them Bioware excellence.

Dammit, just thought of Oblivion.

I don't even know man, there's so many excellent ones out there...

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
creationis apostate said:
you don't role play
Role play = ?

(Really, the problem with RPGs is that no one can agree what an RPG is.)
The real issue is people doesn't WANT to agree on what an RPG is.

JRPGs and ARPGS (American RPGS) are both valid RPGs, but just have a different group of setpieces they deliver. Doesn't make one any more valid than the other.

For me, the best JRPG is FFVII has always been a favorite for reasons mentioned before. The Materia system is the best magic system created to date, and the story and characters were all fantastic.

In terms of ARPG would probably be either Fallout or Mass Effect. Both have fantastic worlds and stories.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
JasonKaotic said:
Final Fantasy VIII. Which is also my favourite game of all time. For me, that's the one true perfect game, I can't think of a single flaw in it.
Alright, the game starts to get a tiny bit less-awesome halfway through disc 3, but it's still awesome after that point.
...Okay, disc 4 wasn't as good as the rest either. But the awesomeness of the game more than makes up for it.

My favourite non-JRPG RPG, for the people whose teeth are grinding reading this post, is either Morrowind or Mass Effect 2.
Curious, what about FFVIII made you feel it was the best ever. In my personal opinion it is the worst RPG I have ever played. The characters were pretty much unbelievable, they didn't grow throughout the story (They changed, but it was more of a "First I'm this way, no wait, I'm that way now!" instead of a transition), the story was weak ("We all have worked together, but wait, we were all in the same orphanage but happened to forget due to our summons"), and the magic system was convoluted. I will say the graphics were amazing however, especially for their time.

Note: This is not an attack on your opinion, I'm just curious what your views on these areas are.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
DJDarque said:
Final Fantasy IV is hands down my favorite RPG. Even more so than the Golden Sun series, Persona 3 or Final Fantasy VII. If you're interested in playing it they just released Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection for the PSP. Also, if you're interested, the first two Golden Suns are on the GBA and the third is on the DS.
I'm assuming you've tried the after years on Wii? I thought those were pretty decent really.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Fallout New Vegas was my GOTY. Pokemon Blue was amazing. Wild Arms is a great series. I can't choose.

andreasengen22

Sep 11, 2008
How do I choose?! =S Umm... I know! Bioware! There, that settled that. Name me one Bioware Rpg that was not awesome and I will... glare angrily at a small dog.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
Planescape: Torment, followed closely by Arcanum. The former has excellent writing in a novel environment, the latter has intriguing (though poorly balanced) game mechanics and the best persuasion I've ever seen in a game.

Other ones worthy of note include Final Fantasy Tactics, Persona 4, and Xenogears.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Sam Cohen said:
Oblivion by far. Such a beautiful game graphically, gameplay wise and in terms of the story. The depth it had to offer was incredible. I've played through it about 20 times and on my main game, i have over 500 hours of game time. And I cant wait to play it again to prepare for Skyrim.
Totally agreed here, but I have 1k hours across about 4 characters, one of which has 600 hours just by himself.

Literally.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Earthbound: The end just makes the entire game a masterpiece. I'm still scared shitless by Giygas.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain: The story and the sophistication of it still makes me cream my pants.

Dragon Age: Origins: Great characters, great story, and great emotion and poignancy. Fantastic

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Alright, it wasn't perfect; but it was a really immersive, fun, and powerful genre definer.

Both Baldur's Gate games: DO I EVEN NEED TO SAY IT?!

The_Craig1986

Jun 22, 2011
1. Crono Trigger
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Diablo 2
4. Kotor
5. Dragon age Origins

Hmmm, I guess I'm a pretty big bioware fan eh? Every single game on this list I got extremely addicted to for a least a few playthroughs of each. 13 hour gaming sessions, 4 hours sleep on work nights, and that sort of thing. RPGs seem to be the only kind of game that will do that to me.

For anyone who loves old school RPGs I really recommend Breath of Death VII. It's only $1 off of the Xbox live indie store and it's very well done. A lot of good humor, with a decent story.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
PxDn Ninja said:
JasonKaotic said:

Curious, what about FFVIII made you feel it was the best ever. In my personal opinion it is the worst RPG I have ever played. The characters were pretty much unbelievable, they didn't grow throughout the story (They changed, but it was more of a "First I'm this way, no wait, I'm that way now!" instead of a transition), the story was weak ("We all have worked together, but wait, we were all in the same orphanage but happened to forget due to our summons"), and the magic system was convoluted. I will say the graphics were amazing however, especially for their time.

Note: This is not an attack on your opinion, I'm just curious what your views on these areas are.
Just adding in here, this post turned out to be a lot longer than I planned it to be.

(I was going to edit my post to say why but Google Chrome screwed up so I gave up >.O)
Really? I thought the story and characters were great. That's pretty much why. You shouldn't really let the forgetting due to summons part effect your opinion on the whole story if you didn't like it, I personally think it's one of the best game stories I've ever seen. Most of the characters didn't develop much (except Squall, and maybe Rinoa) but they were still good characters, I thought. Unlike most games where there are a few characters that feel important and the rest are obsolete, all the characters in FFVIII feel crucial to the story. Even Selphie did, and the 'cooky' FF character is usually one of the ignored ones. I really liked the world too, each of the areas are different to each other. And I really liked the battle system in VIII, it was the first time I'd played the ATB system, I'm not really sure why I love it, I just do I guess. And I loved the Junction system. Aaand GFs. I have this odd love for being able to collect things (things you can use that is, not random collectables) in games, and finding all the GFs was something I enjoyed doing.
The only part of the game I didn't really like was disc 4, it makes you feel a bit isolated from the game world. And Ultimecia's Castle is just annoying.
Also, FFVIII was one of the first games I ever played, so that'll probably effect my opinion on it... hehe.

Jackhorse

Jul 4, 2010
What am I allowed for an RPG? If we're going loose I'd go for Champions: Return to Arms for many happy memories clearing dungeons with my best mate on the PS2.
Not dialougish or anything but smacking stuff about really, but the power trees were fairly deep and really worked well. I know I should say something more story driven and deep but y'know... I can do without all that if I get to fill a demonling with arrows in every sqaure inch of his body.

Sordak

Oct 5, 2010
well CRTA was always awsome, coop ARPGs rule, but still its an ARPG and certainly doenst go all that deep.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Kingdom Hearts. My runner-ups are Fallout 3, Paper mario one or two, and Final Fantaasy 3 (DS)