What was your first pc gaming memory?

haiku

Apr 14, 2014
I was 8 or something and watched my older brother playing Crono Trigger [http://chronotriggerwalkthrough.net/quest/weapons/] it seemed to be the most exciting game in the world. Later on he taught me also to play it and i spend a lot of time with Chrono and all the others. It was like a live fairytale to me :)

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I don't remember the game oddly but I remember the system.

Many many years back my class got to play on the school's new BBC Micro.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
votemarvel said:
I don't remember the game oddly but I remember the system.
Similar situation. Spectrum ZX. I remember a game where you're supposed to climb to the top of the map before it floods and you can shoot rainbows (to kill things and climb on). I remember Cobra. Also remember this one side scroller where you can pick up this metal-slug style power ups (but this was way before Metal Slug).

Kinda wish I remembered those two other game names... Nostalgia factor and all.

Jeez... I wonder how many of you have even seen a Spectrum...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Very, very first?

I would have been five or six years old. Watched my dad play a Pac-Man game. Tried it myself and absolutely sucked at it. It was either that or playing Jill of the Jungle, a stock-standard platformer.

I'm a bit fuzzy on which one came first.

I thought they were awesome at the time. Of course, at that age I thought anything the involved pressing buttons was awesome, let alone pressing buttons and then having something happen on a screen.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Hm... PC or video gaming memory?
PC gaming memory would be getting an old 386 with an awesome 8 MB or so of RAM. Played all kinds of MS-DOS games on it, some Tetris versions, Pac Man, Sim City, Mortal Kombat...

Video gaming memory (earlier than getting the PC) would be either playing Tetris and Super Mario Land on a Game Boy at some family friend's or playing a (even back then) really old video game about shooting at 'space crafts' that'd explode in 'white stars' (the screen seemed to be white on black, no idea what it was, though).

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
I've been raised on the PC. There is a pic of me playing at 9 months while sitting on my father's knee.

First game I can remember playing was Blockout. Monochrome blockout... :D

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/blockout/Mac-01.png

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness.

I remember accidentally overwriting my uncle's save file. I redid it for him but if I remember he was pretty far.

Caliostro said:
a game where you're supposed to climb to the top of the map before it floods and you can shoot rainbows (to kill things and climb on)
I think that one's Rainbow Islands.

I never had any experience with a Spectrum but oddly enough, despite having played WC2 beforehand, I did spend a lot of time on an Amstrad CPC back then.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Fortress of the Witch King on the Commodore 64. Turn based RPG that you can start and finish in a single session, text based with some graphics. I was completely addicted.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
teqrevisited said:
Caliostro said:
a game where you're supposed to climb to the top of the map before it floods and you can shoot rainbows (to kill things and climb on)
I think that one's Rainbow Islands.

I never had any experience with a Spectrum but oddly enough, despite having played WC2 beforehand, I did spend a lot of time on an Amstrad CPC back then.
I love you forever.

That is exactly it. Rainbow Islands... I knew it was Rainbow something, but couldn't find it.

Now to see if there's some way to play this one again.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
haiku said:
I was 8 or something and watched my older brother playing Crono Trigger [http://chronotriggerwalkthrough.net/quest/weapons/] it seemed to be the most exciting game in the world. Later on he taught me also to play it and i spend a lot of time with Chrono and all the others. It was like a live fairytale to me :)
"Jumpman" on my IBM PC junior. God I feel old.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
As someone who is a much younger than you guys, it was probably either Freddie Fish 2 or Putt Putt Enters the Race. Ah, edutainment, how I still love you so. That was PC. My first video game ever was probably on the SNES, and it was probably either Super Mario Kart, The Lost Vikings, Super Adventure Island II (I think it was this one, not sure) or NBA Jam.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Command and Conquer: red alert. Its literally the first game i ever played.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
jademunky said:
haiku said:
"Jumpman" on my IBM PC junior. God I feel old.
Right up there with you as well as owning an original copy of Zork in my early years and knowing not what the hell a Grue was or why it kept eating me.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Probably playing Oregon Trail at school but the first one I have at home is playing Dig Dug or Sarge on 286.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I think my first PC gaming experience was playing Beast on our shiny new Tandy 2000.

Can you feel the terror?!

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Playing Duke Nukem 3d on my grandfathers pc at the young age of 6 or 7. I still can't believe he let me play that game.

sc1arr1

May 1, 2013
Pretty sure I was...four or five. My very first PC game was Duke Nukem 2. After that I quickly moved onto Doom II and Duke Nukem 3D...Those were good times.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
My first gaming memories, period. When I was a kid, we didn't own any game consoles, but we did have my dad's Windows 95 computer. I got a GameBoy much, much later, and consoles even later than that.
I played the shit out of all of the Humongous Entertainment games that I could get my hands on, playing them over and over, and the semi-randomized nature of their later games made that remain fun for a long time.
I also had a few of the Math Blaster and Reading Blaster games and I liked those too, but not quite as much.
Eventually I started playing the ClueFinders series, and I loved the puzzles in those. I did play them while below the recommended ages though (I remember playing the "5th Grade" and "6th Grade" games when I was still in the 4th Grade).
Wow, all of my earliest games were educational games. Huh.