What was your most memorable 4X Gaming moments?

Randoman01

Apr 19, 2013
So, do any of you have any memorable moments from playing a 4X game like Civilizations or and other type of game?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Civilization 4 Beyond the Sword. Was playing as the Americans. The Babylonians had a city which had been reduced to a single square exclave that was 99% American and their boarder cities where all majority American (culture bombs for the win), and I unleashed a salvo of 3 great artists on them in one shot before declaring war and blitzing threw their territory. 5 turns later all they had where cities under siege. 5 more after that they existed no more.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Care to share any yourself OP?

OT: One game in Civ V I was playing a large continents map as Rome. France, India and another nation I forget were all my continent, Polynesia, Russia, Denmark, Ethiopia and Germany were on the other.

I had conquered my entire continent through military might by the renaissance era. Just as I had done so, Russia (being the expansionists that they are) decided to send a settler to my lands. Well we can't be having that now can we?

I destroyed that settlement, built up an ENORMOUS invasion fleet, and invaded the other continent. They'd been locked in war with each other for centuries, but they couldn't resist my onslaught. My armies swept over Russia and Denmark like a tide, and I was fighting Polynesia when I won a science victory.

That's probably my most memorable moment, although there have been plenty of others.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
There was one game of Star Trek: Birth of the Federation...

I was playing as the Federation and had rapidly expanded my empire by being joined by minor races, as you do, and I formed an alliance with the Klingon Empire. Throughout the course of the game, the Klingons and I annihilated the Ferengi and began working down the Cardassians and Romulans... and then the Borg showed up.

In 4X terms, the Borg are basically the major random event. When a Borg Cube shows up, shit's gonna get fucked up. To this day, I still don't know how to reliably kill one without an entire fleet of either fully upgraded Federation starships or cloaked Romulan warbirds. And they'll warp around the galaxy obliterating planets, destroying half of a system's remaining population per turn until it's completely dead, at which point all of the planets in the system are transformed into wastelands which support a mere fraction of their original population.

So this Borg Cube starts appearing in random places throughout the galaxy, wiping out various systems belonging to all four of the remaining empires. The Cardassians are the first to go, and then they move in on the Klingons, who get so enraged by my inability to help that they break our alliance and declare war on me... but they don't have the military presence left to do anything anyway. Before killing off the Klingons, the Cube decides it'd be a fantastic idea to move in on my systems, though. It systematically destroys basically my entire empire, including the Federation homeworld Solar System, and leaves me only with the Trill system before moving off again, essentially stranding me in space because I don't have the range to call back any of my fleet and I have too much of a money deficit from my empire suddenly collapsing to be able to do anything else. So I'm stuck, unable to do anything... and then eventually I get a win because the Borg killed off the Klingons and Romulans. Which meant that the Borg won, in reality.

To add insult to injury, multiple Borg Cubes can spawn at any time and they can spawn really early into the game sometimes. Whenever I see a Cube around turn 150-200, I just pave the save entirely, because there's no way to kill them that early and you aren't coming back from the destruction they can cause.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
This game sounds intense. Could I just play it casually or is every game like this? And s it available on steam or GOG?

Mine is from Rome 2 Total war. So, I'm playing Rome and was invading Macedon. In this game the AI, even on the easiest mode, can build an insane amount of armies. It's really fucking annoying. So they completely moved all troops away from their capital city. I send in my most elite legion to take the city then prepare for the counter attack. My troops end up stopping a small distance from the city because they ran out of move space. On Macedon's turn, three armies from Macedon attack my legion. One was fucking massive. The battle was 2000 vs. 5000 with me having way less. Somehow I managed to win the battle and completely destroy Macedon's armies. My force was barely standing, I actually lost my General. The next turn I bring up my backup legion and take the city. They ended up becoming my client state the following turns. I was proud at my military and political skill.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Elfgore said:
shrekfan246 said:
This game sounds intense. Could I just play it casually or is every game like this? And s it available on steam or GOG?
Unfortunately, the game isn't available on Steam or GoG as far as I know and it does require a fair bit of tinkering to get running on modern systems, which isn't helped by the fact that there's a CD-Check DRM system in place on it as well. There's also a bit of a memory leak, when games reach 300-400+ turns everything tends to start chugging, and on the largest galaxy size viewing the galaxy map in full tends to slow things down as well. Restarting generally fixes it for a random number of turns, but it's a shame that was in a time before "patching" was a widespread thing.

But the Borg can actually be specifically toggled on or off independently of random events by messing with the config files, which can take a lot of the pressure off.

That said, the AI can still be pretty brutal, which for a hardcore Star Trek canon fan might be a problem (as, for example, the Federation aren't supposed to be galactic conquerors and their morale does take a bit of a hit when they assault systems, but they can still be played that way and the AI will exploit the hell out of it). Game difficulty can be configured pretty extensively as every empire can start with a completely separate technological level, but as with many strategy games, the AI generally just seems to be far more efficient at building ships and researching technology than the player can be. It does admittedly provide for a good challenge, or you can cheese everything by giving the empire you want to choose an unfair starting advantage. It's actually pretty casual-friendly, in my opinion, because if you give your empire the highest starting technological difficulty and the other four empires the lowest, you can basically steamroll them until they've reached the point where they have the same starship classes you have. But my opinion is a bit stilted by the fact that I've played the game for fourteen years.

Dunno if you've ever played it, but Master of Orion II frequently comes up in comparisons and some people consider Birth of the Federation to be a spiritual continuation of MoS (possibly more because of how burnt they were by Master of Orion III, though).

It does appear that there's a small bit of a modding community for the game at armadafleetcommand.com. They appear to have a download of the game available... that's of dubious legality, but Microprose aren't around anymore so I'd be surprised if the game isn't abandonware; It seems like Atari would be most likely to hold the rights, but even they filed for bankruptcy recently. In fact, reading a bit further I don't actually know where the rights would currently lie, which is probably why most of those older Star Trek games have never shown up on digital distribution platforms. But you might be able to find it on Amazon or something if you care to try.

Er... to stop rambling, it's fairly rough around the edges, but if you're a fan of strategy games and can give older games with potentially complicated or initially confusing UIs a try, and especially if you're a fan of the Star Trek license, I would recommend it.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Sword of the Stars, Turn around 500, Hivers were well entrenched due to their FTL mechanic allowing them instant reinforcements at any world as long as the fleets were within Gate limit. (Basically the more Gates you had the more ships you could move), We were the last two races on the map.

I was playing Humans, which forces you to move along Nodelines to get to systems, slow boated fifty turns to get to the Hiver Homeworld, with a fleet of Three Ships, a Refinery, a Jammer and Drone Command (Jamming Ships skew how many ships are in a moving fleet unless you have Deep Scan Tech), the turn this fleet would arrive at the Hiver Homeworld I sent fifteen other fleets to the Hiver player's Border worlds, in an attempt to overwhelm their gate network.

Managed to glass three hiver worlds, rest of my fleets had their backs broken and the remaining ships limped back to the worlds they came from. The three victories I won were more relevant than the losses because the worlds I hit were high size and trading worlds for the Hiver player. Destroying the core of his trade network, leading into more victories.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
probably this game i was playing in civ 5 as the russians i think

i somehow got into war with half the fucking world and the first ones to attack were the americans, which were trying to conquer some of the cities i had built in their contient, i pushed them back thanks to a very narrow passage and civ 5's retarded AI, basically, the huge american army was attacking this city of mine, but only 1-2 of their units could engage me at a time because there were some mountains next to the only ground route to my city, considering city sieges require many units to be effective and i had a few defense forces, that one city they kept trying to conquer became a meat grinder and once they ran out of soldier for me to kill, i pushed back with my small defending force and captured one their strategically important cities, finally everyone was forced to sign peace treaties and leave me alone, you dont fucking mess with mother russia

many centuries and wars later america was reduced to one single city in the middle of the ocean i left alone just so they could witness the greatness of the russian empire as it crushed the last remaning civilizations and reduced the great aztec empire to nothing but irradiated rumble and ruins, the bastards had set up cities fucking everywhere and i conquered/destroyed every single one of them

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
When I conquered the entire galaxy in Galactic Civilizations II without firing a shot. Culture-spewing space stations did the heavy lifting; all I had on tap for combat were a few museum piece frigates. Generations of crewmen must have existed who did nothing their entire careers but stare out the windows at their homeworld while tour groups shuffled by.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I played Civ 1 a lot when I was a kid. One time, I spawned near a village of skilled mercenaries, so I grabbed them with my first settler. Since I had some defense, I decided I wanted to see where else I could set myself down, so we banded together and set out. It wasn't before long that I found some more villages of mercs, and then an opposing civ. My mercs killed them fast, and we pushed on. There was only 3 civs, counting me, so the last civ gave me a little trouble because he had some time to fortify. I still crushed him, and became the ruler of the world before I built my own first city.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I played a game of Civ Revolution a couple weeks ago where I was falling behind on all victory conditions but was competitive for economic and technology victories. I managed to rush up to the space technology and use my massive gold reserves to rush work on all the space ship parts. Then I just had to hunker down and wait for my last hope to reach Alpha Centauri before every other Civ toppled over all my cities. I managed to hold on but I really should not have won that game.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Sins of a Solar Empire is kind of a 4X game right? Anyway, in Rebellion, my favourite race is the Advent. I enjoy the synergy they have between units. I especially like the Rebels due to their ability called Wail of the Sacrificed. You sacrifice the population on one of your planets and due damage based off of the number of sacrifices to everything in an adjacent star system. I've caught my opponents' fleets with it several times. It is extremely satisfying.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. I was playing as TEC Loyalists, since I love the Ankylon Titan. Anyways, after numerous skirmishes across the outer planets, and finally putting down the pirate fleets, it was time for battle. And the central star system became a total mosh pit. Seeing 200+ warships duking it out and dozens more phase jumping in at every second was incredible. I finally managed to set up a defensive position and took advantage of the TEC Loyalists' extra Starbases, and set up a total blockade around the star. Huge battle ensued and continued to rage for nearly forty minutes.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Master of Orion 2, I forgot what race or custom race I was playing as.
I'm stuck in a small corner of the galaxy map because of the expansionist prick AI I'm neighbours. The final straw was when they started stealing my tech, so I retaliated by constructing a fleet of Doom Star class vessels and arming them with Stellar Converters, MoO's equivalent to the Death Star's beam. What followed can be best described as what would happen if Tywin Lannister was in charge. My fleet covered around a half of the battle map. I didn't just conquer the other race, I destroyed them. I wiped them out, planets and all. No trace was left, no legacy to inherit, no mercy was given. I brought genocide to them and it felt good.
Naturally, I had this playing on loop throughout all of the above:

Randoman01

Apr 19, 2013
In space empires IV Deluxe I had my "base stars" orbit an alien race planets. Then, I decided to just let the nukes fly and obliterate them entirely. It was glorious.