What We Want from Red Dead Redemption 2

Ashelia

Mar 10, 2016
What We Want from Red Dead Redemption 2

All we can do is dream of the day when the next installment of Red Dead Redemption arrives - that and talk about what should be in it.

Read Full Article

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
While MP like GTA V would be a start, it was ultimately pretty shallow. It'd be better than what we got in Redemption, but I'd rather see more.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
RDR still has one of the best endings ever. It's hard to see how to follow that, but a prequel could work. It's also nice to see one of Rockstar's open world games as a contrast to Ubisoft's Ubiquitous Checklist Of Repetitive Tasks games.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I really hope they have a solid character like Marston again. I usually don't like playing as guys because it all starts feeling same-ey, but I liked John a lot. Hate his son, though. I can't play that part coz his voice annoys the crap out of me.

I'd really like a choice in character you play, a dude, or a gal. That'd be awesome, IMO.

<youtube=hLqFZ1_zh0c>Can't even play as her in Multiplayer. We'll see in RDR2 if I can stop not liking the decision to just forget she existed outside of the mission. They never even gave her a name.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I loved RDR. By far one of my favorite all-time, most heart-wrenching endings in a game. I finished that mission, put the controller down and had myself a good few tears. I even did the missions with the mysterious "God/Devil" dude beforehand and the gravity of that was just astounding. Fuck bears though.
One thing I could never bring myself to do was kill the buffalo off, not even for the achievement. It just was something I couldn't reconcile doing, even in a digital space knowing it would persist forever in the game, knowing I was responsible for the extinction of a species in that world.
And later the Bigfoot mission. My god that was such a poignant scene.
?We eat berries and mushrooms, you fool. Or we did. Now none of us left. Some maniac's been murdering us. I'm the last one of my kind. We've lived in these hills for a thousand years... My family is gone. My kind is gone...?
God that hurt knowing I was the one doing some of the killing.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
In May 2010, they released a surprising sequel to a previous PlayStation 2 obscurity called Red Dead Revolver.
It was on Xbox as well, and it's a damn shame that more people haven't played it, if only because "RDR" is extremely vague yet the common gamer just assumes Redemption.

I propose using RDRv for Revolver, and RDRd for Redemption, for clarity's sake. I also propose that RDRd2 have a few more of the elements that made Revolver so much fun.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
I dunno, there isn't a whole lot more you could add weapon wise is there? It's the wild west, not Quake. I think Marsons weapon choice was also a conscious decision as part of his character. You could shove a bow at him all you like, but I very much doubt he'd know how to use it.

I loved RDR, I absolutely adored it, but I don't think it needs a sequel. Let it be what it was, a great, moving story set in a specific vertical slice of the old west.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The PC version will include a port of RDR, so we get two games for the price of one. And console gamers will ***** about it to no end on Twitter.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
elvor0 said:
I loved RDR, I absolutely adored it, but I don't think it needs a sequel. Let it be what it was, a great, moving story set in a specific vertical slice of the old west.
Surely there's room enough for another brilliantly written, gorgeously crafted and enjoyable western in gaming? It's a genre this medium seems to spurn.

For starters, I think a female lead would be a hugely welcome change, one which would also - ideally/hopefully - force them to deal with their IP's inherent sexism in different ways.

However, you might be right in not wanting another Red Dead; I think Redemption's one of the most intelligent and profound narratives I've every seen in gaming, so I'd likely be disappointed if another entry didn't do something similarly savvy and powerful.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
One thing I could never bring myself to do was kill the buffalo off, not even for the achievement.
Heh, there was an achievement I specifically didn't ever do, as well - the one involving a train track.

Feb 7, 2016
First person mode like what they did with GTAV? No that's stupid...I'd still want it though.

Geez, how would they do a sequel? Everyone I know thinks Redemption is one of the best games Rockstar ever put out. Surely it couldn't live up to expectations?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Actually, I don't want a lot more DLC. I don't want any, or even a sequel. I'd just appreciate the ability to play a competent port of the first game on the PC.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DeliveryGodNoah said:
First person mode like what they did with GTAV? No that's stupid...I'd still want it though.

Geez, how would they do a sequel? Everyone I know thinks Redemption is one of the best games Rockstar ever put out. Surely it couldn't live up to expectations?
I don't really get the hype, but surely the company that can put out one "amazing" game can put out another.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
There's a couple things in particular I'd like to see change if they do make a sequel.

For one, if they do an honor/dishonor system again I want there to be an actual point to playing dishonorable this time. In Red Dead Redemption there was zero point in playing a dishonorable character, it just made the game much more of a hassle than it is playing as an honorable character, many missions default to giving honor just for completing them and don't have a real dishonorable option, monetarily there wasn't much if any cash that one could get by being dishonorable over simply being honorable, and the basic plot and ending don't change AT ALL if you're dishonorable instead of being honorable. It just makes the very existence of the entire system seem completely frivolous. There also should be great rewards for the player that acts like a scumbag in addition to great rewards for the player that acts like a great guy/gal (female protagonist options should be in there too BTW) and bad things should happen to players that act like a scumbag and bad things that happen to a player that acts like a great guy/gal, in roughly equal proportion. Making choices matter requires there to be bad and good results for making those choices, but always at least one of each in everything.

For another, I want these stranger missions to end better, not to mention the rest of the missions. Most of RDRs missions just end up being horrific with no good or even just middling conclusion with everybody involved except the player themselves either being scumbags, insane, or both, and while it's fine for that to be true sometimes regardless and make us feel depressed there should be plenty that end well regardless and give us warm fuzzy feelings, just to balance the former out. Also, if there are choices presented I hope that this time that there's at least one that has the missions end well if you take them, rather than with most of RDR's missions that as mentioned ended badly regardless of your choice. What I always hate most in any game that tries to give you missions with choices is when they then never have it end well no matter what you choose to do, worst of all if it you're railroaded into ensuring that it doesn't end well just by doing anything. One for RDR that comes to mind is the Bigfoot mission, which the only way you can have anything good happen is by not playing the mission period, and any game that gives choices for it's missions should NEVER have the only good choice not doing the mission at all.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Darth Rosenberg said:
elvor0 said:
Surely there's room enough for another brilliantly written, gorgeously crafted and enjoyable western in gaming? It's a genre this medium seems to spurn.
OH of course, I love westerns, I just don't think Rockstar need to make another. RDR was their love letter to the old west and it was one of the closest to perfect games I have ever played. I fear like RDR2 might miss the mark just because the original was lightning in a bottle.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
I hoped they might remaster the last one, My Xbox360 died before I could finish it. I got myself a PS4 and have been waiting for a newer version to appear ever since.