What Were the Top 10 News Stories of 2014?

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
What Were the Top 10 News Stories of 2014?

A look back at the 10 biggest news stories of 2014, in no particular order. It was a busy year.

Read Full Article

ryazoph

Aug 5, 2014
Top 10 implies an ordered list

The 10 Major News Stories implied an unordered list

Jan 12, 2012
A good piece, but does anyone else feel like the Gamergate section was a bit terse? I mean, it got total coverage for weeks, and a 1,300 page forum topic proves it still has some legs, but in the review it barely got two paragraphs, with no links to any of the many, many articles the Escapist did on it, unlike every other topic; I was expecting at least a link to Tito's big spiel on the journalistic ethics of the Escapist. John Keefer did a good job covering it here, tight and well-balanced, but it felt like someone put him on a tight leash, which is a shame because he has definitely shown he has the experience and talent to talk about it.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
A good piece, but does anyone else feel like the Gamergate section was a bit terse? I mean, it got total coverage for weeks, and a 1,300 page forum topic proves it still has some legs, but in the review it barely got two paragraphs, with no links to any of the many, many articles the Escapist did on it, unlike every other topic; I was expecting at least a link to Tito's big spiel on the journalistic ethics of the Escapist. John Keefer did a good job covering it here, tight and well-balanced, but it felt like someone put him on a tight leash, which is a shame because he has definitely shown he has the experience and talent to talk about it.
I put myself on a tight leash. What more can be said than what has been said in so many different ways already? The piece was to acknowledge the issue, and make a point of emphasizing it was a low point for games this year. I wanted it to be simple and to the point and try to leave no room for revisiting the issue. It's time to move on. (But thanks for the props)

Jan 12, 2012
John Keefer said:
I put myself on a tight leash. What more can be said than what has been said in so many different ways already? The piece was to acknowledge the issue, and make a point of emphasizing it was a low point for games this year. I wanted it to be simple and to the point and try to leave no room for revisiting the issue. It's time to move on. (But thanks for the props)
Fair enough. I was just hoping for something more thorough because this seems like the best opportunity for a retrospective; after all, what is a recap for if not to revisit issues in the light of a new day? I don't have the skills to wade through all the information out there and see if (now that passions are less inflamed) there's a way to assemble it into a logical and honest structure that provides an accurate reckoning of what happened when every gaming news outlet and forum collectively went mad.

NRVNQSR86

Mar 29, 2011
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/12811-The-Biggest-News-Stories-in-Geekdom-for-2014.3
Point 3. REALLY? http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=LucasArts Look at that. Sure it's good news the games come to GoG, but if the list is anything to go by, most or all of it already also will be already at Steam. Only thing is it will be polished up etc by GoG.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/12811-The-Biggest-News-Stories-in-Geekdom-for-2014.5
'Net neutrality'. Might be it started to rumour a bit in the US only just past year, but try to look for - oh, let's say Europe will you? PS: That fight in the US is lost and gone unless you manage to break down the entire system of the FBI, NSA, CIA etc. Good luck with that one... and the Republicans who also like to spy on everyone else and wage war.

As for point 10 - it would be more interesting if those debates were accessible to everyone, and hadn't been hijacked by the cancer that is radical feminism.

For the rest... As for the chosen topics in itself I don't have any criticism, but the content used lacks or is faulty at some points...

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
"In even more good news, Michelle McLaren will direct Wonder Woman."

That is good news. Not because I know anything about Michelle McLaren, but just because she's not Kathryn Bigelow.

ShermTank7272

Feb 5, 2013
I'm surprised you didn't mention Korra in the final story, particularly with Legend of Korra wrapping up and the way they chose to end the series.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
John Keefer said:
Fair enough. I was just hoping for something more thorough because this seems like the best opportunity for a retrospective; after all, what is a recap for if not to revisit issues in the light of a new day? I don't have the skills to wade through all the information out there and see if (now that passions are less inflamed) there's a way to assemble it into a logical and honest structure that provides an accurate reckoning of what happened when every gaming news outlet and forum collectively went mad.
Think we would have all appreciated taking the time to mention the specific people who've been targeted by the Anti-GG movement's harassment and violence campaign. They have names, they've been threatened, some even physically attacked, and their lack of showing up on MSNBC doesn't mean they're any less important.