What will the 2010's bring for Music

Ziltoid

Sep 29, 2009
I think it will be great. There are so many ways of finding great bands you would never hear of otherwise that I think alot more bands have a chance of becoming successful. Also now that there is digital distribution you don't have to get some big record deal in order to put your music out there, and bigger bands can make the music they want without pressure from record companies (ex. Radiohead, NIN)

I try to stay optimistic about it.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
The new Sonic Syndicate album is being released with their new singer.. hopefully it will be good.

And I hope Machinae Supremacy release some sweet music!

Nov 25, 2009
Icecoldcynic said:
Hopefully it will be the return of good quality metal. Just a dream.
Good quality metal still exists, it's just not put out there on any sort of mainstream media, because the mainstream media will do what the mainstream media always does, play pop-music, if you look at every era you'll find that there are plenty of Karma Chameleons and Poker Faces out there, it's nothing new, it's always been crap and always will be crap, I would in fact like to suggest that there is some sort of equivalence between pop-music and crap, they are one in the same. That being said it's probably actually closer to like 97% of what's played being crap. Anyways feel free to say what you want about this post (anyone not just Icecoldcynic) it's just my opinion based on what I have heard. I would be love to be proved wrong though, having more good music is always good.

Seki

Dec 22, 2009
I'm really hoping for a revival of acid jazz, swing, funk and blues music. Mainly because I really want to see people walking around in Zoot suits and Panama/Fedora hats. Plus that was music that actually had soul and took talent to do well, rather then just speaking rhymes over-top of basic computer generated drum beats.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Novskij said:
Nazulu said:
Novskij said:
Nazulu said:
What great music was made in the 2000's? And how are you so sure that there is something out there for everyone? Come and argue with me, I know you don't know there really is music out there for everyone but I would like you to try.

I'm looking for powerful riffs or great catchy tunes performed by amazing musicians, want to convince me something like that is still out there?
This is only a tiny bit of music made in the 00s, now tell me there isn't good things in the 00s, after youved checked every link of course. Id say there are some powerful riffs and great catchy tunes in there.
You lovely human being you. While everyone else just insults me you actually grab me some links, and some really interesting ones too.

Anyway I already know there are GOOD songs that were released in the 2000's because I already like bands like Velvet Revolver, U2, Fuel, Audioslave, Staind, Limp Bizkit, A Perfect Circle, Disturbed, Incubus, Nine Inch Nails, System of a Down, Slip Knot, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc. I know these are more mainstream as well but that doesn't make a difference to me, however the point is they're not great, I find 'em to be really weak. I know I risk myself sounding like a dick over the internet disagreeing after you put the effort in and I really appreciate it as well but they really aren't that powerful.

Don't get me wrong though, some of those songs you mentioned are amazing, could you please give me some more.
The bands that you specify are not great, and you havent gone beyond the mainstream, so I see why you havent found anything amazing. Could you tell me though which links you acctually liked, then I could find stuff similiar.
Well thats not true, I already knew a lot of non mainstream bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Between the Buried and Me, Tool, Opeth (yeah sorry should of mentioned I already know them), ELP, Hairy Sea (some classic non mainstream), Trivium, and some others I can't remember right now but feel free to tell me if they are mainstream or not, I wouldn't really know.

Mainstream or non mainstream, it's always about the riff and melodics, you could say it's different to everything else but no matter what it always needs a riff and melodics and I don't want to come of mean but these aren't that powerful, but still good.

Anyway the songs you gave me links to that I liked (and never heard of before) are:

Animals as Leaders - Soraya
Cynic - Evolutionary Sleeper (I don't like the screamo singing but the riff is alright)
Deathspell Omega - The Repellent Scars of Abandon and Election
Blut Aus Nord - Procession of the Dead Clowns
Gojira - Vacuity (once again, don't like the singing but the riff is good)
Skinny Puppy - Goneja
Katatonia - For My Demons (Didn't like the singing and I didn't like how the music died down when they started to sing but the riff is good)
V'ali - Dypt Inne I Skogen (I didn't know there was band that still writes stuff like this)
Enslaved - Havenless (singing and riff was average but it's something my ears aren't used to)

Again I really appreciate it, so please gimme some more, I'm hoping to find something I'll fall in love with.

Chubbfish

Jun 8, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Novskij said:
Manhattan2112 said:
I'm hoping for Smooth Jazz, and Progressive Rock (Heavily influenced by things like Smooth Jazz... and traffic noises) will make a bit of an uprising. I mean, Prog Rock has been around for damned near 30 years, if not more, and it has yet to really be considered "main stream", with the exception of a few songs. It'd be nice to see the complicated musical structures reach the ears of the common listener.
Wasnt Prog Rock mainstream in the late 60s and the 70s?
For a few, brief glorious years, Prog was mainstream, yes. Then punk came along and said "Oi, what you doing?!? You can't do that, you have to play three chords really fast like this, and dress like you live in a skip, and shout and scream a lot, nar nar nar!!!" I wish I was joking, but the sad fact is that, whereas prog bands were all for experimenting with new musical forms and trying new things within the rock format, without any kind of bias, punk music was all about playing in a certain style, and anything that didn't fit within that simple style was deemed crap and mocked. Sadly, the influence of punk is such that now, thirty years on, we've become obsessed with fitting everything into it's own genre, cataloguing it and sticking it in a little box. Fortunately, bands like Pink Floyd and Genesis were popular enough before punk hit that they could still have stellar careers, but for a multitude of smaller prog bands, '76 was the year that broke them.

Right, abbreviated history of prog aside, time for me to make my wishlist for the next musical decade. Guess what? More prog. We've had three decades of punk spreading its snotty influence over the mainstream, making sure that all songs are under three minutes, and spreading the idea that you don't have to be a musician in order to actually make music (or at least, not a good musician). Hopefully in the next decade, we'll actually see more bands getting bored of standard musical convention, and experimenting with time signatures and whatnot. The signs are good. There are already bands making good careers who are either prog, or strongly influenced by it: Tool, Mastodon, Porcupine Tree, Mew, Muse, Sigur Ros, the Mars Volta...

Oh, and to all the apologists for this decade: while it may be true that every decade has its share of tripe, this decade is different because there hasn't been, as far as I can tell, a single album which has proved to be a milestone in modern music. The kind of album that legends are made of. The Sixties, despite all the crap that was no doubt around, also had Sgt Peppers, Are You Experienced and Led Zeppelin I. The Seventies had Dark Side Of The Moon, Led Zeppelin IV, Tubular Bells, Aqualung, the Eighties had Number Of The Beast, Appetite For Destruction, Master Of Puppets... what have we had this decade? I can't think of a single album that has had even half the effect of any of the albums I've just mentioned.
not saying you don't have a point, but:

2000:
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - BRMC
Coldplay - Parachutes
Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia
Doves - Lost Souls
PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
Radiohead - Kid A
St Germain - Tourist
Soulwax - Much Against Everyone's Advice
U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind

2001:
Aphex Twin - Drukqs
Daft Punk - Discovery
Elbow - Asleep at the back
Groove Armada - Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)
Jay-z ? The Blueprint
Muse - Origin Of Symmetry
Nick Cave - No More Shall We Part

2002:
Sigur Ros - ()
Beck - Sea Change
Coldplay - Rush of Blood to the Head
Doves - Last Broadcast
Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
Porcupine Tree ? In Absentia

2003:
Jose Gonzalez - Veneer
Placebo - Sleeping With Ghosts
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
Massive Attack - 100th Window

2004:
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Tv On The Radio - Desperate Youths, Bloodthirsty Babes

2005:
BRMC - Howl
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Elbow - Leaders Of The Free World
Kasabian - Kasabian
NIN - With Teeth
Pendulum - Hold Your Colour
Sigur Ros - Takk...
The Go! Team ? Thunder, Lightning, Strike
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Hard-Fi ? Stars of CCTV

2006:
Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever people say I am, that's what i'm not
Bat For Lashes - Fur and Gold
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Tv On the Radio - Return to cookie mountain

2007:
Radiohead - In Rainbows
NIN - Year Zero
Acorn - Glory Hope Mountain
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Bloc Party - Weekend In the City
PJ Harvey - White Chalk
Justice - ?

2008:
Sigur Ros - Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust
Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid
NIN - The Slip
Portishead - Third
Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling
Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - Angles
Foals ? Antidotes

2009:
Doves - Kingdom of Rust
Horrors - Primary Colours
Silversun Pickups - Swoon
Bat For Lashes - Two Suns
YeahYeahYeahs - It's Blitz
Arctic Monkeys - Humbug
Bombay Bicycle Club - I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose
Jay-Z ? The Blueprint 3
Manchester Orchestra ? Mean Everything to Nothing

having just done an article for a school paper on music in the noughties, there definitely have been albums up to standard of those you mentioned. obviously not all the albums on this list, but a few of them.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
It will probably have a genre. However, I'm pretty sure that the Internet will hate it. Why? Because the Internet hates everything.

Me? I'll continue what I do best. Pick something and ride along with it.

However, I'll just say the 60-70 were the best decades and they were over before my dad had the idea of having children.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Novskij said:
Good to hear you didnt dissmiss some of these bands. :)

V'ali is a neofolk band, and there are quite a few of them.

I suggest you check out the following:

Ulver (Their 2nd album is in the style of Neofolk, but these guys never stick to one genre, their whole dicourgraphy is a mix of many genres)
Tenhi
Sol Invictus
Forseti
Of Wand And Moon
Amesoeurs
Tesseract
Textures
Bulb
Periphery
Nebelung
The Retrosic
Suffocation
Wendess
Boards of Canada
Bloodbath ( Mikeal Akerfeldt's(If you dont know him, his the vocalist,guitar and songwriter for Opeth) attempt to bring back old school death metal, if you want some old school death metal ill PM you, its good stuff, but its 90s so not that modern ^.^)
Devin Townsend
Agalloch
Wolves in The Throne Room
Isis
Neurosis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv5t1KsVqnA

Most of this is made in 00s, and if you say that they are not as good as older music, its down to your personal taste, but you must accept that their musicianship is as powerful as older bands/musicians.
Well it took me awhile but I went and looked up 5 popular songs for all of those bands you listed (you know, to make sure), and I have to say they all start sounding a like after awhile and I was a little disapointed that most of them do the screamo thing. However it was still interesting so thanks for sharing but I think thats enough for me, all this death metal screamo with some computer sounds start to drive me nuts after awhile.

If you want to know which bands I liked out of your list:
Ulver (you weren't kidding when you said they don't stick with one genre)
Wolves in The Throne Room
Isis
Neurosis

I have to conclude that this stuff is still not powerful, I don't exactly know what you mean by musicianship but if you mean talent or something like that then yes and no, it depends, hard to explain.

The most powerful songs I have heard through this decade are:
Beautiful Day by U2
Chop Suey! by System of a Down
Lose Yourself by Eminem
Judith by A Perfect Circle
Hysteria by Muse

I know your not gonna like hearing it because they are mainstream but these are the strongest riffs I heard. These aren't great to me either, very good but I have a strict greatness line they didn't cross.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Novskij said:
Nazulu said:
I know your not gonna like hearing it because they are mainstream but these are the strongest riffs I heard. These aren't great to me either, very good but I have a strict greatness line they didn't cross.
The only reason you dont find songs that are powerful enough in the 00s is because of your musical tastes. But alot of music made in the 00s is just as powerful as the old stuff. Simply, the music made in the 00s does not cater to your tastes. Also your kinda stuck with the old bands, and refuse to see anything else as good as these older bands.
Not the least bit true and don't question my taste. The main point was to prove to me there are great songs that were made in the 2000's, I didn't hear any but thats alright because that is my opinion. I am not trying to tell what is acceptable and what not so just drop it.